• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Questions on the road to recovery

OP
OP
Alleypally

Alleypally

Country
Ireland Ireland
That's reassuring. So icing is still normal after four weeks?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
And even longer, if you want! :yes:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a great weekend. :)
@Alleypally

OP
OP
Alleypally

Alleypally

Country
Ireland Ireland
Almost at the magic six week mark, but is it that special?

I am wondering whether I can now get rid of the raised toilet seat and the orthopaedic chair, or is it just a matter of when you feel comfortable enough to manage without? Can I safely bend to pick things off the floor now?

Also, is it OK to transition from one crutch (I mostly don't need anything around the house.) to a stick?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Before we can answer your questions can you please tell us if your surgeon put you on any post op restrictions?

linette333

senior
Country
Hi @Alleypally ! The 6 week mark is really just an indication that all is well. For all the transitions, I think it's all a matter of when you are feeling ready. At my 6 week post op appointment, my surgeon lifted all restrictions. I went to the appointment with one crutch and he told me to move on to a cane straight away - feels much better. At 9 weeks out I am still using the raised toilet seat - not that I can't cope without, but it's still feeling uncomfortably low!
The main thing for me at 6 weeks was being told that it was ok to drive again. - that was definitely special!

OP
OP
Alleypally

Alleypally

Country
Ireland Ireland
No specific instructions from the surgeon. The hospital issued a booklet but there are no time restrictions mentioned there. I don't have my first appt until seven and a half weeks!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Right then if you have no restrictions then stop using any assistive devices when you feel comfortable. Same with transitioning from a crutch. Be sure and go back to using the crutch if you start to limp.

Bending can be a challenge at first. I used the golfer's reach until I got limber enough to bend again. Be sure and hold onto something stable if you do this.
golfersreach.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Paisleydimples
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom