THR Questions about hip implants

RCGX7

Country
United States United States
I have some anxiety about the type of hip implants.

@RCGX7
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

You will notice I have moved your first post from the August Hot Shots and started a thread for you in the Hip Pre op forum, where more members will see your thread, and address your concerns.

If you would like a different thread title, post it here and a moderator will change it for you.

Here is a link to information about different implant and the materials used in implants.

Please let us know more about you and your reasons for needed a hip replacement, knowing more will allow us to better address your questions and concerns.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Welcome @RCGX7 ! What aspect of the implant do you have anxiety about? Material, fit, brand-- anything specific? Mine are two different kinds and two entirely different shapes.
Each hip has its own foibles but they both work very well

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you concerned about? Have you been to an OS and spoken to them about what they use? Are you wanting a specific type?

Not trying to hijack the thread but I also have some questions about types of implants, a guy posted a thread here yesterday and mentioned something called Dual Mobility Hip Implant. Are most hip replacements done now a days a Dual Mobility Hip Implant? When I looked it up online it seems to be superior to a normal hip implant, are there pros and cons to both? I guess I should have talked to my Ortho about that when I first arranged the surgery but the type of implant wasn't even mentioned to me, I just assumed he would make the best choice for me. Should I call his office and ask what type of implant i'll be getting?

Welcome but could you specify what your worries are so that we can try to answer and offer suggestions. If you are scheduled for a replacement do you know what implant your surgeon will use?

The most important factor for success in any joint replacement is the skill of your surgeon. The differences between the various types of hip replacement prostheses are small. They all work well and and your surgeon will choose what is suitable for you.

Spend time on choosing the best surgeon you can find, rather than on choosing a brand or type of hip replacement hardware.
Your surgeon's skill is the paramount factor for a successful joint replacement.

I've been doing some research and asking the medical staff some concerns I have. My implant is made of titanium with a ceramic head and a plastic liner inside a metal cup. I was worried about resuming many of the activities I formerly enjoyed. Would I have to give up rollerskating? Will it last for at least 20yrs? I was told it would take on average 10 to 12 weeks before I could return to work. I have a positive outlook that this is better than letting my physical condition get worse. My late mom had both hips replaced when she was in her early 70's and had a remarkable recovery. Just some real questions. This is unfamiliar territory.

I was where you were at a few months ago when I could feel my life getting much smaller, and I was looking for alternatives other than surgery (e.g. stem cell). I would encourage you to keep reading, watching videos of recoveries, and I suspect like me, you will get many questions answered.

Like you, getting back to an active lifestyle is very important. I went to two different surgeons, and they both had different outlooks on what could/could not be done post surgery. My current surgeon essentially has no restrictions, although suggested running is only successful for about 30% of his patients. I also researched the type of implant and asked during my pre-op appointment, but now can't remember. What I learned was choosing a surgeon is the most critical decision. I am fortunate to live in a location, with many top docs but was very open to travelling to another part of the country if necessary. I also wanted the anterior approach, due to the many initial benefits I learned about that approach. My surgeon is a fellow, well respected, and was referred to me by my private doctor who is fastidious, and is also facing a hip replacement.

As to the length of how long an implant works, I am around your age, and my surgeon suggested that I may not have to have it replaced. However, so much depends on many factors, and I knew the most important thing was to move forward with my surgery. You will find many people, myself included, once you move forward, I look back at the almost 2 years I lost being in the state of denial, and finally acceptance that I needed to do something.

As to how long out of work, I may be back after two weeks away, but I have a desk job. I am on Day 6 of recovery, and everything is going very smoothly.

I look back at the almost 2 years I lost being in the state of denial, and finally acceptance that I needed to do something.

So typical. Boy, can I relate to the statement above. Tried several things to avoid surgery. Chiropractic, diet, supplements, rest etc. All futile and a waste of time.

Check out the article below @RCGX7 and go get er done. You won’t regret it from the first moment you realize the dreaded, horrid pain is gone! :happydance:

@RCGX7 - You say you've been talking to surgeons. Have you chosen one and do you have a date for surgery? If so, please tell us the date, so we can put it in your signature.

@RCGX7 this is just me talking non-medically-- why would you give up roller skating? If you are already skilled, you probably won't have some freak fall, right? Just, maybe no roller derby....? :flabber: :wink:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back