Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Questions about hip implants

RCGX7

Country
United States United States
I have some anxiety about the type of hip implants.

Pumpkln

Country
@RCGX7
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

You will notice I have moved your first post from the August Hot Shots and started a thread for you in the Hip Pre op forum, where more members will see your thread, and address your concerns.

If you would like a different thread title, post it here and a moderator will change it for you.

Here is a link to information about different implant and the materials used in implants.

Please let us know more about you and your reasons for needed a hip replacement, knowing more will allow us to better address your questions and concerns.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Welcome @RCGX7 ! What aspect of the implant do you have anxiety about? Material, fit, brand-- anything specific? Mine are two different kinds and two entirely different shapes.
Each hip has its own foibles but they both work very well

Last edited by a moderator:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
What are you concerned about? Have you been to an OS and spoken to them about what they use? Are you wanting a specific type?

TomT

Country
Not trying to hijack the thread but I also have some questions about types of implants, a guy posted a thread here yesterday and mentioned something called Dual Mobility Hip Implant. Are most hip replacements done now a days a Dual Mobility Hip Implant? When I looked it up online it seems to be superior to a normal hip implant, are there pros and cons to both? I guess I should have talked to my Ortho about that when I first arranged the surgery but the type of implant wasn't even mentioned to me, I just assumed he would make the best choice for me. Should I call his office and ask what type of implant i'll be getting?

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome but could you specify what your worries are so that we can try to answer and offer suggestions. If you are scheduled for a replacement do you know what implant your surgeon will use?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
The most important factor for success in any joint replacement is the skill of your surgeon. The differences between the various types of hip replacement prostheses are small. They all work well and and your surgeon will choose what is suitable for you.

Spend time on choosing the best surgeon you can find, rather than on choosing a brand or type of hip replacement hardware.
Your surgeon's skill is the paramount factor for a successful joint replacement.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Stavie64
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom