TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

Very depressed, knee still not there and now added complications such as Achilles tendonosis, and sciatica still flaring…..’my podiatrist said to walk flat footed and physical therapy for 24 days……tendonesis is a degenerative problem. MRI showed no tears or rupture, so thankful for that…..I have been in so much pain in these areas. I thought once I got through the knee process I would be better. I can’t stop crying and I know that is not good for healing of anything…..does anyone have any words of hope or wisdom?

Hi Mickimouse, I don’t have any wisdom, but I do have empathy and prayers for you. We are all in different places across the world, but you are not alone.
:console2:

Don't lose hope that brighter days are in your future. I am sorry you're in pain and it's easy to feel hopeless when pain is your constant companion. Hopefully the PT helps to reduce your discomfort. Just as JR (above) I will remember you in prayer for healing and peace of mind. Hugs
@Mickimouse

All I can offer you is that I too cry often since my TKR. (And not normally a crier) It’s really hard to be patient for all of these problems and pains to resolve. I looked up the dif betw tendonitis and tendinosis. It looks like you might have good luck with therapy for it. Wishing you a pain free holiday at some point!

Hi everyone, I’ve been trying to deal with the pain and disabilities I have been having and not doing very well at all. I am so sad that my knee is still stiff and painful, burning sensation , along with other issues, ankles and back. It will be 6 months on the 27 of December and I am really scared that I will never get better…… I just needed to reach out to see if I have any hope…… thanks for listening.

@Mickimouse . Sorry to hear that you are in pain. Hopefully things will get better soon. It's been 12 months since my LTKR and what a journey it has been both mentally and physically. I'm free from pain but still have some uncomfortable days. Hopefully you will turn the corner and be pain free and on the road to recovery. Take care Jcx

@Mickimouse
I am sorry you're struggling with multiple issues. I am sure this is hindering in you in many ways. I am wondering what a "day in the life" looks like for you? Are you able to get out at all? The hustle and bustle and people watching of the holiday season may be a mood lifter and pain is often minimized when we're busy, or our mind is occupied. Otherwise, are you able to meet a friend, family member or neighbor for coffee or lunch, or invite someone over for either? Possibly you are doing these things already, but if you're not, please give it a try because you've mentioned depression and I think that may only be amplifying any of the physical pain you're dealing with. Just something to consider.... Hopefully brighter days are on the way. :SUNsmile:

I have been trying to do as much as I can, but it is not at the level I am use to…..that is why the tears start flowing because I am so use to go,go,go, and I don’t get to the level I am use to and then the knee flares, ankles and back. I really thought I’d be better since the knee replacement but I feel worse. I push myself to go and do things especially during this season. It’s weird how God works, I’m sitting here typing through tears and on the news they show a child fighting some sort of disease etc, wow at least I had 66 years of relatively good health. I’m praying I will get some relief In the near future. Thank you to all who have listened and responded, it helps to know someone understands instead of people rolling the eyes and questioning why I am in he shape I am in. Hope all are having a good holiday season.

please give it a try because you've mentioned depression and I think that may only be amplifying any of the physical pain you're dealing with. Just something to consider.... Hopefully brighter days are on the way. :SUNsmile:
Layla is right that depression can amplify pain. Depression and pain are so intertwined they can feed off of each other. Did you know they use some of the same neuro pathways? Sometimes you just have to break the cycle. I don’t want to push you to do anything you don’t want to do, but please consider asking about an anti depressant. There’s no shame in needing a little help during a really difficult period in your life. It might be what you need to break the feedback cycle where physical and emotional pain perpetuate one another. At the very least it can help you deal with the pain better so it feels less devastating.

I can definitely understand your tears and mourning the days of go go go! I am the same and truly hate to be less mobile than I was before. My partner and I have a joke that every meltdown I have will be treated with a Manhattan. Not good advice I’m sure. He’s also the one that says just go about your life and accept your knee. Easy for him to say right? Anyway I hope your problems and mine slowly resolve with time.

He’s also the one that says just go about your life and accept your knee. Easy for him to say right?
and @Mickimouse
I do agree with him. Try to be patient, accept where you are in recovery, and know that better days are indeed ahead. Where you are now is not where you will end up.

Jockette, I pray you are right! Praying it will get better. At least I have some family members that have friends that it took a year or so to feel good, not like some people who got better within a few months, so they look at me like something is wrong because I still don’t feel better…..wow I was going to schedule my other knee for March, but with all the different problems that seemed to come after the knee replacement I fear it will be too soon to get the other one done. Yes I asked my GP for something to help with the anxiety and depression so she prescribed me something. I’m just wanting to wait until the holidays are over because of potential side effects you may have to deal with for a couple weeks…..thanks everyone I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have this forum!

Oh, I was wondering if anyone can give me advice how to get the knee where the incision is to stop burning. The incision looks ok, it’s getting there but the tightness and burning is bothering me. I message the incision with vitamin e at least twice a day. Also is that normal at going on 6 months? Any ideas would be appreciated!

It would not be unusual to still have feeling of tightness (especially after activity) at 6 months. I didn't have any burning sensation but you may be able to get some suggestions regarding that from your doctor.

The other thing is that in an earlier post you said you are "pushing yourself." It is possible you are trying to do too much at a time. Can you spread out your activities more over the week?

I message the incision with vitamin e at least twice a day.
Once a day might be enough, and maybe not even every day. And don’t actually massage it, put just a little cream on it very gently, by barely touching it. By massaging it so often you are be keeping it irritated. In many cases, less is more.

Does anyone have aches and pain when the weather gets cold? My knee feels more stiff and uncomfortable right now, we are going to get very cold and snow coming starting this Thursday. My knee is really tight.

Hello and happy Tuesday, Mickimouse!

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!:santa-dance::carols:
@Mickimouse

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back