TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

After these surgeries, we have a different way of walking. That makes a lot of other areas of our bodies hurt. Getting adjusted to this new stride takes time and patience. It does get so much better and is well worth the wait!

:) Thanks! I am blessed to find this site!

I have just hit the 4 month mark and stiffness is my main issue too and the only thing that helps me is hydrotherapy. I keep hoping that the 6 month mark will be a turning corner for my recovery. My journey has been interesting but I think textbook and what I find hard is that most people seem to think I should be back at 100% or have completely forgotten I had a bilateral knee replacement :sorry:thankful for Bonesmart.

Well I must have over did it yesterday, water therapy and then lunch where I walked about 1/4 of a mile to car….I felt good until this morning, the pain when I moved my leg in bed happen, which that has not happened for awhile, and my other knee is hurting pretty bad (which will need replaced, but when I am scared to do it at this point) be I’m so tired of this, I went to Costco today and broke down in tears. I just feel so defeated like I will never be the same independent person I was…..please pray for me!

Praying you will get through this pain and become the strong independent woman you know you are.

Thank you, I thought I was turning the corner, but feel like I am 2 steps back.

You are in my prayers Mickimouse. I have had a two steps forward, one step back recovery too, and it is tough mentally. I am having to dig really deep and access reserves of patience I never knew I had. Try to take it one day or even one hour at a time, concentrate on caring for your knee and taking each issue as it comes. Keep the faith that you WILL get better but you may have to wait longer than some do. And speaking of which, try not to compare yourself to others who have faster recoveries…that for me is what will really crush me if I let it. We have to think of this as just a season in our lives. It will pass, but for now we just have to settle in for the long haul. I’m speaking to myself here too! To be honest, I got prescribed an antidepressant because the mental toll was overwhelming. Fortunately I had an improvement and I haven’t needed to take it yet. But it is sitting in my medicine cabinet and I know it’s there if I decide I need it. There’s no shame in addressing the mental pain as well as the physical that this surgery can cause us. I hope and pray that you will find strength you never knew you had to get you through this and to the other side of recovery. We’re all here for you :console2:

Some people rave about water therapy but I had a really hard time with it.

Going out to lunch is a form of PT. So is a Costco trip, just keep the shopping short, but that’s hard to do in Costco.

I think you would feel better, about everything, if you would stop all the formal exercise, which your particular body (and mine, too!) doesnt seem to like. You keep over doing your activities and end up in pain. If you would just let your normal every day activities you be your “natural rehab” you would heal better without setbacks and have less pain. It’s your choice, how you want to rehab.

I’m reading your thread this morning and, we’ll, just relate. I want to believe that, at some point in this journey, I will walk down stairs again, not have pain all the time and feel “normal”.
I haven’t said anything to my husband, but, I haven’t rescheduled PT for November. I know he believes that I need to work hard, do my exercises and it’s going to be painful.
I look forward to a day when I’m NOT thinking about me knee at all.
Mentally, it’s exhausting.
I do believe being able to talk, empathize with others, helps me in my own recovery.
♥️

I was so blessed to have found Bonesmart 6 months before my TKR. I had just had a meniscus tear cleaned out and the OS said then that I needed a TKR. That's what led me to start searching for info on a knee replacement and I found Bonesmart in December 2015 and immediately joined. I knew what to expect during my recovery. I had already recovered 11 knee surgeries the Bonesmart way, so I knew that worked well for me.

Knowing what to expect and having others going through or have been through the same things is a huge comfort. During those first weeks of recovery, I was on this site off and on for 24 hours a day. Just communicating with someone who understood was half the battle of dealing with my doubts and concerns.

Mickimouse, you are not the only one. We have had a nice little stretch great weather here for November. I find myself wanting to go out and do something. Everything involves walking that I can think of. So I just sit here looking out the window. This will probably be the last nice weather before winter and I feel like I am wasting it. The energy drain has been bad this week. So glad I can talk with others who have gone through this because some people just don't understand the recovery. Hang in there Mickimouse, we all have to. We are all in this together. One day we will all be looking back saying we did it! Hugs.

Somewhere in my thread I recall someone saying be careful getting a massage, well got one yesterday, by a trained massage person at our highly rated hospital, and I hurt so bad this morning…not my knee so much but muscles/joints. I was told I have tight muscles and I thought it would help…now my body feels like it is on fire. Can anyone relate? The guy said I might have discomfort after, why do people feel this is helpful? Is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I can relate! You should have asked for the lightest massage they could give you. I‘ve had 3 massages in the past that made me feel just like you do now. A couple of years ago my chiropractor convinced me to try again with her friend. She even called her friend before my appointment and told her that I am a “less is more girl” This last massage was the best one ever.

Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Reactions: Jcx
The therapist did say keep note how I felt after so he can adjust the treatment…..not only my surgical leg but my other leg as well…..how do people get right back to living so soon! Wow! I wish I had that kind of recovery! Just feel so old, well I am but mentally I can’t accept it. I am even scared to travel because I still hurt and not even all is my knee…….but thanks for the support !

Your whole body is affected by this surgery. My whole first year was awful, and I had a partial, promoted to be a quick recovery. Talk about frustration!! But eventually it does get better.

I had to travel from Delaware to Ohio when I was 9 months post op, for our daughter’s wedding. I “should” be fine by then, right? I wasn’t! It was a really tough 5 days. And, it’s COLD in Ohio! My knee ached from the cold, on top of everything else. It was in the 20’s most of the week (December) My knee still doesn’t like the cold, 5+ years later. :bawl: (Unfortunately not everything gets better.)

The thoughtful responses are reality. These operations are significant and traumatic for the body. Looking back on my TKR in January 20 20 I was helllbent on getting to maximum flexion and the ability to straighten my knee. I accomplished those things, but as my doctor reminded me, "the knee will continue to heal for up to two years". He was right. This is a journey not a destination.

And since contrast seems to make us feel better, here's some for you: I'm five days past the first phase of two-part total knee revision as a result of an infection. Going through it the first time is bad enough, but here I am again.

The good news is that I am armed with perspective, focus and acceptance that this will also take time. I am thrilled with the fact that the surgery went well and that I'll be able to get my new knee sometime in January. In the meantime, I am being an obedient and compliant patient.

Remind yourself that this requires an investment in time and a realistic mindset. And as this forum reminds everyone constantly, the body is pretty good at healing itself!

Best of luck!

I keep reading that people turn the corner and the recovery starts to get better, I am just waiting for that corner. Thank you for the encouragement!
It’s not so much a corner, as it is a long, winding bend. Hang in there. I am at 5 1/2 months after bilateral TKRs and am so much better. I still have little set backs but overall, heading in the right direction. You will, too.

Mickimouse, I’m sorry to hear about your pain after massage. It should not hurt later! Jockette’s suggestion is a good one…ask for him to go easy. But if it isn’t better the second time, I don’t think I’d go back. If you end up changing to a different therapist, may I recommend lymphatic drainage…it is gentle and helps the body naturally release swelling. My LMP does lymphatic drainage, sometimes for the whole hour just on my surgical leg, and it’s amazing how much better my knee feels when she is done. She uses other modalities too, but she has never once caused me any pain. I hope you get a good massage (hopefully lots of them!) because the right LMP can be a huge benefit to your healing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom