Question

MJR

Country
United States United States
Who here has full knee pain or localized pain? The interior of my knee is bone on bone which causes me a lot of pain in area about the size of a 50 cent piece. The pain in this area is causing me to have a TKR because the pain at most time causes me to not live a full active life. A normal life for that matter. The rest of my knee feels ''pretty'' good. At times I have decent range of motion and at other times I have minimal. I just think in my case it would be easier mentally to justify the TKR if the entire knee was in pain. With that being said 2 weeks from today I get my active life back!!!!

Hi @MJR :

My knees were constantly changing. Some days there would be little pain. Other days they hurt all the time. I would have occasional sharp pains that would literally take my breath away. Instability is what finally caused me to have the replacements. My knees would give out without warning while walking,when I would sit down, when going down stairs etc. Glad I had the surgeries.

Regards,
Chemist

Chemist Exactly! Some days I can walk (slight pain), without a cane then other days I can't take a step without some sort of aid. Looking forward to getting this done and move onto the next chapter. Who would have thought the best 50th birthday present I can receive is a new knee. My slight pain most likely would cripple a person with healthy knees lol

Hi MJR,
Have you had a good look at recent X-rays of your knee? I ask because I’ve been to 3 different OS. Most recently was Monday.

He had new X-rays taken. From every position possible. The he went over each one in great detail pointing out the areas of bone on bone, bone spurs etc. It made perfect sense where the greatest areas of pain were coming from. Like a light bulb went off.
My old X-rays were from Jan and not as many positions.

My new knee will be my 65th birthday present!

Once your knees are bone on bone, it's a matter of time before they start hurting all over all the time. The thing most people don't realize is they can basically be "fine" one day and then two weeks later, barely able to move. When it starts to deteriorate, it can do so very quickly. I wanted to hold off surgery until January but didn't want to make the same mistake I made with the first one which was waiting too long to have it done. So glad my husband talked me into having it in July (especially since Medicare is going to classify this as out patient surgery in January, 2019).

Good Luck.

just some random thoughts:

1) I suggest that you read through the info that you will find in this forum. It will help you prepare.
2) My OS told me that it was going to hurt. That was a bit of an understatement. But it was worth it as demonstrated by the fact that I had my second knee done.
3) Plan where you will spend your time when you get home. I was glad I prepared a "recovery area" since I spent most of the first month in my recliner.

I'd like to add something to what Chemist said. Recovery takes a lot longer than most surgeons will tell you. Assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised if the timeline is off. For instance, if you work and the surgeon says you'll be able to go back to work in 6-12 weeks, count on it being 12 weeks. If you feel better and up to it in 8, then great. But if not, you won't have the hassle a lot of people do with trying to explain to bosses why you won't be back on the date expected.

Some days I can walk (slight pain), without a cane then other days I can't take a step without some sort of aid.
I had barely any ongoing pain, just what I refer to as a 'stone in the shoe' pain which came and went erratically. Sometimes it lasted for an hour, sometimes for a week but I knew what caused it so let me share that with you.

Arthritis has the effect of making our joints crumble like an old concrete step.

ai64.tinypic.com_wb2fr6.jpg

It breaks down, creating lots of grit and debris. Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all! Pain killers do nothing, nor do things like braces. We are just conscious of this horrible burning pain that all of a sudden goes away!

ai66.tinypic.com_vcxieq.jpg

It's every bit as disabling as the constant bone-on-bone pain so many others suffer and is a very good indicator that a joint replacement is needed.

To assess your need for replacement, print off the form in this link, read the instructions and fill it in
Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

Mine is full knee pain in both knees. Been having trouble with knees for the last three years but was able to control the pain with shots and then when they no longer worked, I had to retire early. I have been on prednisone and that stopped the pain for the last 2 years and then went to water aerobics at the Y one time and WOW the pain is BAD …

Went to the ortho and got cortisone shots which did not work, then rooster shots which did not work. They are both bone on bone. They hurt ALL the time and it is even working down my leg. My hips are beginning to hurt because of the limping and pain in the knees. Staying home most of the time because walking is so painful. Even using a scooter when I go to Wal-Mart (hate that).

Taking me forever to get an appt with a good surgeon. Did not want the one that I have been seeing for the last few years to do the surgery.

I am hoping to have both knees at once. My appt. with the new Dr. is 8/17. I have been calling everyday for any cancellations and did get it moved up one week. Hoping to have the surgery ASAP.

Right now my left knee has an area that’s painful after walking a mile or so, but my right knee (now a TKR) was full on pain upon any kind or length of walking. My life totally revolves around knee pain.

Hi @MJR I know the feeling it's like being on a rollercoaster. I am bone on bone too . About two weeks or so I received a steroid injection and it seemed to only help some of the knee not all the knee. I am still feel pain. I can't wait to have surgery. It's scary to think what I will be undergoing, but I can't stand how limited my life has become. Just going grocery shopping takes a lot planning . It's ridiculous!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88