THR Question - One year after thr

In my case the consensus seems to be that the long recovery is because of the hip retroversion and the extra work the surgeon had to do during the surgery to correct it--cutting off more bone etc. At almost 6 months, my functionality is still limited and the groin pain continues. Obviously still got quite a ways to go. I'm glad to hear that you consider the PT you're doing now to be a success, @HelenaM. Finding a good PT, who doesn't make you worse, is not easy!

@Jaycey @Mojo333 With regard to the timeline for recovery:
My surgeon used an online program of surveys that asked questions about your recovery every so often, more frequently right after surgery, and then less frequently later on. Oddly, I never received any indication that he or any of his staff were reading these or following them. I did receive an on line text thanking me for completing the questions each time, supposedly from my surgeon, but it was automated.

At 9 months, the survey asked for my satisfaction (Not satisfied, neutral, satisfied, very satisfied) with the surgery, and at 12 months, the survey asked a set of questions about my pain level (never, sometimes, mostly, always)l with certain activities such as "walking on uneven surfaces". Then the program basically cut off with a thank you text or email for completing the surveys. My surgeon told me to come back in a year, even though I had problems due to nerve irritation or tendonitis).

It appeared from the surveys and questions that they (the program writer and my surgeon who was implementing it) had set goals in mind for certain dates. At first I met or exceeded all, but I had a bit of a relapse at 10 mo. with some tendonitis and could no longer meet them. I feel that there was a timeline that I did not meet in the end due to what he thought was nerve issues connected to the scar (neuralgia paresthetica , I think).

The surgeon said that my surgery went perfectly (that is in his notes too), and my device was fine.
Ah - but there is no timeline. It took over 12 months for my LTHR recovery and at 6 weeks I was back in the office post my RTHR.

Also, the online program with the surveys included some exercise instructions from a well-known hip replacement parts company with instructions to do the more advanced exercises at 10 wks. I think. This included multiple sets of bridges, leg lifts while lying on your stomach and some that were okay for me. I was able to do some of them, but now that I am working with a pt at 15 mo., I am doing some similar or even more difficult things without significant pain.

I guess that this is an issue with my surgeon and his staff (initially I thought the program with the beginning exercises was good). But I think it is a program that is widely used in the US, and I clearly felt that it set a timeline.

I am fortunate that I found Bone Smart, because I thought the surgery had failed, and now I think I am just reaching the goal. So, thank you!!!

So glad to know you are doing well.
I also really wish I could remember where I copied this from as to give the author credit....but really resonated with me regarding PT.

we progress exercises too rapidly and without respect of pain with without first developing the neuromuscular control and progression truely needed to reach the next phase.

So they are criterion based phases of rehab through which patients can progress based on their ability to master exercises within each phase. Often what I find difficult to understand about exercise protocols is which patient will benefit most from these exercises? The confusion lies not in the protocols themselves, which seem to be consistently generic, but the lack of connection to the patient and diagnosis. There is a huge degree of variability in conditions that result in hip pain or progress to arthroscopic procedures and I struggle with the idea that all can wake from the anaesthetic and embark on the same clinical pathway.

@Mojo333
I have been feeling for the past week or so that I am now recovered. I no longer notice meralgia paresthetica. The last of the pain or discomfort seems to be fading. So my total recovery will have been 16 or 17 months, not the 6 weeks we hear about in the hype. But my hip works and feels strong and I can do most of what I could before I was aware of arthritis that caused the surgery. It has been a long time, but I’m good. Thanks again to you and Bonesmart members for honesty and encouragement and suggestions. You have really helped me.

I no longer notice meralgia paresthetica.
Wonderful news along with the feeling that you’re recovered. You’re not alone in noticing progress beyond your one year anniversary. We’re happy to read of your appreciation of the forum and we thank you for sharing your recovery here.
Wishing you a lovely pain free holiday season this year. :)

@HelenaM :friends:
So happy you are doing well and share your recovery story...it is likely to inspire and comfort hippies who feel their recoveries are slower than advertised.
Sometimes, it just takes the time it takes unfortunately.

Hope your week is Sweet, my friend!

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. If one of the parts used in your joint replacement turned out to be defective in the future, does anyone, such as the doctor or hospital have the responsibility to notify you? Or do you have to check and how would you do this?

Good question @HelenaM ! I'm not sure how this works in the US. @Jamie do you have any idea?

I guess here in the US you would find out if you watch late night TV when the lawyers advertise wanting to get people in on the class action lawsuits. That's how they advertised for the hernia mesh settlements.

@HelenaM If for any reason any implant component becomes a cause for a recall by the manufacturer for any implant patient the FDA must be notified and in turn all the surgeons are also notified way before it is announced publically. The doc’s must contact all patients involved immediately. Once it is announced commercially then judges have generally set up class action law suits in some cases if the recall effects are nation wide .
It is important to know the manufacturer -make- model of all components . This infomotion is included on tags removed from each of the components used at the time of surgery and placed in the OP report. All components with recall issues can be looked up anytime on the recall web site thru the FDA . Or just plug the manu. name, models in the computer for results. There is a web site thru the FDA that has all the pre and post announcements .

Hippielife is correct. There are different levels of recall, each of which require specific actions. The highest level - one which impacts a patient directly or is life threatening - requires surgeons to notify patients. This occurred with a metal on metal hip implant years ago that could cause metalosis. All patients with that hip were advised to see their surgeon for evaluation.

Most recalls are for packaging problems or other issues that really do not directly impact the patient. You can see a lot of attorney sites that try to drum up business by putting scary information out there. But the truth is that implants themselves very rarely fail.

I have not posted in awhile, but I want to mention that I now feel that my hip is really good, although my recovery did not fit into the one year time frame. I have noticed improvements throughout the second year in function, and I have been assured that my X-ray looks really excellent. The improvements have been small but steady, and may still be happening. I have returned to my gym, noticing improvement almost every time I go, which may be from recovery or working out or both. Best wishes to all,
Ellen

I am wondering if part of the issue for me might be that my expectations were too high.
I would agree. This is major surgery. The cases of patients being totally pain free just weeks out are very rare.

And unfortunately there is a lot of marketing hype around anterior approach. It is not a quicker and easier recovery.

Give that hip one year or longer!
I also bought into the hype about faster recovery for anterior approach but it’s not correct. After 6 weeks or so of a recovery with no complications, patients are generally in the same place. My surgery was lateral posterior because that was the better choice for my anatomy. I’m on day 16 out of surgery and while I have some stiffness and residual bruising and swelling which improves daily, I cannot imagine a faster and more pain free recovery than what I am experiencing now.

That's awesome to hear! It's not all that odd to have people report that they were seeing/feeling improvements into their second and even third years. Keep up the awesome work, its so good to hear from people well after their initial recovery.

:wave:@HelenaM
So nice to see your update and see that you are doing better and working toward getting stronger.
I know your journey was exasperating sometimes but you seem to have kept your patience and positivity which are huge helps with a slow return back to life.
I've wondered about you often (especially when you were inquiring about prosthetic recalls:flabber:)
but your latest post makes me Happy Happy.:happydance:

Have a nice weekend...hope the weather is warning and the days will be sunny!

I now feel that my hip is really good, although my recovery did not fit into the one year time frame
You’re not alone in this. We very often hear of improvements still happening into the second and even third years post op. Each persons timeline is different, but most important…your x-ray looks good, your surgeon is satisfied with your progress and you’re functioning without pain! Glad to hear you’re back enjoying the gym. I hope you have a fantastic Spring / Summer 2022! :)

Does anyone happen to know how much weight, if any, a titanium hip adds on to a person? Or the range of what it might add? Thanks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks