Question concerning active dogs in the house after surgery

Chappyd

Country
United States United States
Does anyone here have any experience with having an energetic dog in the house after you have surgery?

My only real concern is the initial coming home afterwards, the dogs will be excited when we come home. My wife can handle them and once settled they are pretty benign. Since I'll be home for some time, the coming home thing won't be an issue after the 1st time.

We have 2 dogs, one small guy who isn't an issue, and one younger (3 yrs old) who is quite energetic. She will not try to get in my lap, she's a rescue and simply won't come up. I'm just wondering if any others have had to worry about this, and how you handled it. Thanks!

26 days and counting

@Chappyd
I have a dog that can be a bit of a lunatic whenever I get home.

I would suggest that when you get home from hospital for the first time your wife shuts the dogs in another room until you get yourself comfortable in your 'nest' . It may then be best to introduce them to you one at a time.
I found that my dog seemed to understand and didn't try to rush me but crutches come in useful for warding animals off if necessary.
Best of luck.

Most dog people have coped pretty well with the pooches after surgery. Use your walker to protect you from the boisterous one.

I have this concern, too as I have 2 small dogs. I worry about one of them being a pain in the butt when the physical therapist comes to my home, as she will dodge toward the door when I open it to let anyone in. I worry about her getting into the hall (I live in a condo) and how to chase her back in the apartment if she gets out by chance. I guess I will deal with it at the time.

@Chappyd .... I was just about to answer you when I scrolled down and saw that Josephine just offered the exact suggestion. I found that my walker kept my Boston Terrier (who is a terror) away from me and prevented him from getting too close (mainly because he was afraid of the walker, for some reason). Since he also tends to jump onto me if I am sitting, I kept a pillow across my lap for those times I wasn't expecting it.
I'm sure you will figure it out and it won't be as bad as you are expecting.:dogsniff: For the most part, my Boston just stays right by my side when I'm sitting on the recliner and doesn't seem to want to leave me.:puppysmooze:

I agree having the dogs in a restricted area until you are settled is likely the best idea. If that is not possible, I have had success in having a special treat for our sometimes boisterous Bassett Hound to distract her and one that she will go off and stay busy with for a good bit.

Fyi: In my experience PT generally will ask that you seclude your dogs before they will enter your home.
@Mersada

when I got home, our daughter put our dog on her leash, while my husband helped me walk into the house. Then we got the dog onto the couch so I could pet her for a minute, before my daughter took her for a walk to let her calm down. when the therapists came, my husband would take the dog into another room with him to start with, and then they would come back in with the dog on the leash, once the therapist and I were settled.

Most people report that their pets seem to sense that they are in healing mode. Jo's suggestion about using your walker is great. But I really doubt your dog will be a problem.

@Chappyd It sounds like we all pretty much agree on this one. When I first came home, my husband went in first with the beloved dog treats which allowed me the time needed to get in the house. Once they're confronted with a walker in front of their face, mine just back off and watch the wheeled "monster" trying to figure it out. My hyperactive Maltese was my biggest concern but it does seem our little babies have a sixth sense with all of this. My husband immediately takes the kids outside or to a different room for the nurse or PT visits. @Mersada if you live alone then it would be best to put them in a closed or doggy-gated room before the nurse or PT show up and throughout the visit. Explain to them why you need them to give you a firm appointment time because if you have one get out, chasing it with a walker isn't a good idea!

Or, just put your dog on a leash when it is time for the PT to arrive. The dog will get the message pretty soon.

I think the ideas about going home to your dogs and how to deal with it are absolutely right. As for therapists and nurses coming to your home, keep in mind not everyone loves or even likes dogs. And some may have completely rational or irrational fears of them. Just a thought.

Sounds like maybe I am overthinking things (again!) Kayla, the energetic dog is very apprehensive about strangers, though she clams down after about a minute. We still tell visitors not to make eye contact, and if that never happens it's usually a pretty calm evening. My vet did give some puppy tranquilizers to use at times of stress. We can use those plus crate them if we have a visiting therapist.

Thanks for all the comments ! :)

Fyi: In my experience PT generally will ask that you seclude your dogs before they will enter your home.
@Mersada

I may have to pass on the pt because if I can't pick them up I can't seclude them....and I probably won't be able to bend over to pick them up. Well, they say we don't need pt anyway, right.

My Shihtzu who was always underfoot and wanted to be in my lap constantly figured out quickly there was "something wrong"After a very few admonishments , and a few near misses with the walker...he stayed close but didn't encroach and decided he would follow close BEHIND me.
Most dogs are pretty perceptive!

For my first THR back in '13, we had a 6 month old puppy. If I remember, he did very well and understood that I was off limits.
Fast forward 6 years...that little guy is turning 6 and we have a new addition that is just turning 2. The new addition is a 70 pound Boxer! Very active and thinks he is an 5 pound lap Pomeranian. I am hoping he gets the idea once I come home and he sees my in a fragile state.
Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
We kept the fur kids in a different room while I moved around on the walker. Then once I was settled on the couch they'd join me. Good luck and enjoy your dogs innate sense of comforting you :)

Hi I’ve two shelties who like to jump around and onto my lap but since coming home after THR they have been extremely respectful. I’m using crutches do think they have a fear of those so useful to keep them away if need be.

But, it’s been lovely to see how in tune they are & are certainly aiding my recovery... xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first THR my daughter was living with me. That helped with my bully girl. This time I'm by myself so I'll board her at vet till I'm home a day. I have a crate that is her "room". She knows enough commands to keep her polite. She'll be a ball of energy when she come home from vet I know, however she'll go to her room when I tell her to. When laying on my side in bed I put pillows behind my legs to keep her from snuggling against my back like she does. New adventures around every corner!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back