Lounge Doctor

THR Question about walking and other activity

subie2021

Country
United States United States
Good morning!

Here's the thing...I used to walk almost every day 2-6 miles, or ride my bike about 10 or 15 miles. We live rural, so this was on tar and chip roads with considerable crown. I quit walking and biking about two years ago because it got too painful; I could make it a little way out from home but getting back was a whole other issue.

I would love to get back to it and hope and pray that getting this hip fixed will allow it.

I read in the recovery section that some folks walk or hike a lot -miles or minutes or both - very soon after surgery. Is it possible to recover that fast? Had these folks kept up with their walking right up until surgery, or were they like me and had to stop long before? How the heck does one build up that fast?

I want to know the secret! Please, tell all!

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@subie2021 Every person's journey through joint replacement is unique! While some of the folks you've read about here probably did stay very active prior to surgery, for you the challenge will be 1) - HEAL first, then strengthen; 2) be patient with your self! 3) Walking is the best therapy following a hip replacement but trying to walk on uneven ground early on or do too much too soon will cause problems. You really can not rush through healing! It takes time for tissues to heal, for bone growth to take place, for muscles to strengthen! Yes you will get back to doing what you enjoy -- but probably NOT in just a couple of weeks! Healing from hip replacement can take up to a year. Hopefully for you it will not be that long.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I want to know the secret!
Sorry but there is no secret. That hip will dictate how fast or slow you recover. Pushing the recovery will only result in setbacks.You will get back to all the activities you love. Time and patience are what is required.

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Here's an article that will give you some idea of the level of activity that is suitable for most people during recovery:
Activity progression for THRs .

Of course there will be people who are able to do more than that, but they are the exceptions, not indicative of the progress that most people make.

Eman85

supremo
Country
No secret but no 2 of us or either hip of ours is the same. I could walk pre-op and the majority of my pain came later that night. While walking I could tolerate the pain. Post op it was a slow progression and if I focused on distance, steps and speed it didn't work out for me. What worked better for me was concentrating on walking every day but walking "properly" with good form. I can tell you that living in a rural area and my area is hilly is rough on a fresh THR. The best practice walking is on a flat area like a walking track or a large store. Once you get past a certain point, everyone's point is different, you can walk and hike all you want. It's great as I can walk all I want without thought of my hips.

OP
OP
S

subie2021

Country
Thanks, that's what I was wondering...so you were pretty much in shape and hadn't been away from walking before your surgery; rather than being more or less out of condition but *really* enthusiastic about walking again as you feel better.

Right now it takes me 8 minutes to get down and back from the mailbox, and I feel every single footfall, during the walk and for a while afterwards. Walmart, even in my big clunky cushy grandma sneakers, is a nightmare.

But I'm good about doing what I can, especially the leg/hip/butt exercises from PT ( most of those can be done on the floor, what's not to love?). Hopefully I'll be ready to rock and roll after surgery - but at a sloooow, steady, safe pace for me.

You folks are awesome!

Eman85

supremo
Country
You can read my recovery thread, my hip story is over 50 years old. I played sports and could always walk, I had pain but hid it well and endured it. I didn't limp unless it got real bad mostly later in life before my THR's. The only time I had where walking really bothered me was after my left THR the rehab walking I did seemed to wear out my right hip and it started to really hurt. Once my right's recovery I can walk all I want pain free, or at least hip pain free there's plenty of miles on the other parts.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Boy grandma
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom