• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Question about teeth work

QHElly

Country
United States United States
Now that I am being evicted, I won't be able to afford three teeth extractions on October 15th and I won't be able to move having that kind of pain afterwards. I'm going to call my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow put appointment to talk to him about it I want him to tell me if I can go ahead with the hip surgery and around December, I get the teeth extractions six months after that. I already had three teeth extractions in August they're doing well all healed. Did any of you put off dental work till after your hip surgery?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
It's possible to delay dental work until after surgery, but the real question is why you are having the teeth extracted. If there is any infection involved, that could present a problem for your surgeon. Most surgeons will not do a joint replacement with an active infection in your body to safeguard you from possibly getting your new joint infected.

The best thing to do, however, is precisely what you plan. Call your surgeon tomorrow and discuss the problem with him (or his staff). They will guide you to what's best for you.

OP
OP
Q

QHElly

Country
Thanks Jamie. I can't sleep so it's comforting to hear your advice. Have you had surgery or planning to?

yorkiegs1

Country
Hi QHelly,
My surgeon advised to have dental work done prior to surgery. I did not have any major issues so I had my teeth cleaned in April and had my surgery in June. After surgery my surgeon said not to have dental work until 6 months PO. My next cleaning is Dec and I have to take an antibiotic one hour before the procedure to prevent infection. And this is what I’ll have to do prior to any dental work going forward.
Hope this helps,

OP
OP
Q

QHElly

Country
Ok now I can see who's had what, thanks. Yeh that seems to be the general consensus. I was
able to rescheduled teeth extractions to November and the assistant was very nice and didn't
make me feel like a pain. I got only 3 hours sleep but had a nap with two of my kitties around noon. Doing
some work makes me feel better. My younger brother Henry calls and sees how I am. I'm hoping
landlady will let me stay an extra few days rather than make me homeless but hopefully it won't come
to that. She says she will then says no she won't. I will fare better to put some distance between her and me.
Her mean statements to me were hard to take, but Mom always said "consider the source."

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Marykate
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags