THR Question about showering postop

DDL

Country
United States United States
In the first 2 weeks will I be able to stand long enough for a quick shower, or do I really need a shower seat? I'm thinking it might be harder to get back up from the seat than to stand in shower for a few minutes. FYI - I was able to stand without pain before surgery, although walking was a problem.

@DDL It sort of depends. 1- type of shower you have - walk in vs shower in a tub. Walk in would be easier as the other issue besides pain is feeling balanced enough to stand through a shower. With the in tub kind you would need to lift your hip over the tub edge to get in. With a shower seat or bench it might be a bit easier. 2- Do you have grab bar(s) in your shower? Things you can easily hang on to if you needed to? You do not want to fall! 3- Will you have some one to help you during those first few weeks? It would be helpful to have someone who can sit or hover near by to assist you if needed.

Your leg is probably going to be quite swollen after surgery -- around here we call it "log leg" and it will feel like it weighs about 100lbs just by it self. This is temporary! But it does mean the whole leg is not going to move very easily at first. Also check with your surgeon or his nurse about his recommendations for showering right after surgery -- usually these days they do use water proof dressings but sometimes it is recommended not to shower for a while.

If there is a Senior Service Center near your home call them -- they may have equipment such as a shower seat or bench to loan so you would not need to purchase something you are only going to use for a short time.

@DDL I had a shower seat just in case I was feeling a bit off balance. I also had a grab bar. Can you get someone to install a grab bar in your shower? It needs to be very secure taking your whole weight.

I would opt for a transfer bench if you have a tub/shower combination or something to sit on if you have a walk in. Don't overestimate your post op strength, stamina, or ability to balance. Likewise don't underestimate the effects of pain meds, surgical blood loss, lack of sleep, and increased activity.
I had a transfer bench and won't deny that in some ways it was a pain in the neck, but it was worth the hassle early on. Even later when I was steady enough to think about ditching it, being able to sit while I scrubbed my feet or shave my legs made me glad I had the bench.

I wasn’t allowed to shower until after the wound check at eight days, then I could stand in the shower for a short while holding on to the grab rails. We have a walk in disabled shower with seat ( because our son is disabled) but I found standing and holding on easier.

much depends on your actual shower. If it's a walk in with a grab handle it will be easier. I was able to shower the day after I got home with no problem but I had a small walk in shower with a grab handle. If you have a tub shower it will be more difficult and most use a seat that straddles the tub.

How large is the space inside your shower, or is it a bathtub shower?
Also, how high is the barrier you will need to step over to access the shower?
I think these specifications are important to recommend the best safety devices. There is the possibility of bringing your walker into the shower with you, as I did, just in case I felt weak, although this is messy as it leaks water when you get out, necessitating absorbent towels on the floor, so I don't recommend this if you're alone it will be too much to wipe up yourself. I had the space to do so, but no shower grab bar aside from the shower door handle which I didn't trust because it obviously swings.

If it's a bathtub shower they do have medical adjustable bathtub safety rails you attach to the bathtub for safe and easy access in and out, but you will need the security of a wall grab bar once inside the tub. You can also purchase a slip resistant (stackable) shower step stool for easier access with higher barriers.

A word of caution, please do not trust adhesive grab bars, but only the type secured into the shower wall.

It will depend a lot on the type of set up you have, and if you have help. My first week home I had some serious blood pressure issues and needed my husband to assist me with standing and the leg swing over the tub. The only post op pain I had was all hamstring pain, so there was no way I could flex that left and step over that tub ledge. I used a shower bench just because i was not able to put too much weight on it without flexing my hamstrings which caused pain. It was also really nice to be able to sit while i washed my hair etc and not worry about losing my balance. The shower included standing and sitting. I stopped using the bench after about 8-9 days.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I have a bathtub shower with handheld shower head. After reading your responses, I think I would feel safest with the transfer shower chair, along with my walker close by. It makes sense to lift the surgical leg into the tub while sitting, and I can use a leg lift or yoga strap if needed.

It makes sense to lift the surgical leg into the tub while sitting, and I can use a leg lift or yoga strap if needed.
First find out if you have any post op restrictions. Then ask PT for advice on getting in and out of the bath tub safely.

I have a walk-in shower and room for a walker to just be left in there. Worked great. I could support myself and shower with minimal movement. For me a sitting stool would be too low and put pressure where I would not want it but everyone’s differs some. (Non wheeled walker)

I had my first shower (a walk in one) at home 16 days post op. No grab rail or stool. My husband was nearby in case I needed help .
I felt very pleased with myself.
However by the time I had got dried and dressed, my hip and leg let me know I had done too much!!
It brought me back down to earth with a bang! Anyway, I babied my hip and rested, iced, meds and short walks around the house and by afternoon everything felt better.
Please take care....

I used shampoo caps and sponge baths for almost 2 weeks post op. My other best thing I bought was a portable bidet. I didn't realize what a life saver that thing was. 12 dollars online and it is awesome. Showering knocked me out exhausted for the first month or so. Good luck with your surgery and new hip!

Portable Bidet, brand new shower shoes, long handled brush so I could really scrub my lower legs and feet. Long-handled lotion applyer so I could slather on tons of Cere Ve because my legs got dry as a bone postop. Oh and bring a grabber stick in with you in case you drop your soap!!!

I found it tiring and scary at first because meanwhile I was holding on to a grab bar. Living alone, I had no one to hear me fall. But it also was divine. The first taste I got of "normal."

You'll do fine with some careful planning. It's a great exercise in mindfulness!

My doctor said I can shower the next day. My husband had his replaced 5 years ago and had no problem with the shower after a day or two. My surgery date is Feb. 28th.

:wave: @kathyg
Welcome to Bonesmart.
Hope you will start your own pre-op thread with a little history of how you got here and let us know which hip is being replaced so we can add the info to your signature.

Here is some help on how to do that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks