Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Hip Arthroscopy Question about pain, 4 months Post-OP

MOK11

Country
United States United States
Hello,

I've never used one of these forums before but I've been unable to get a response from my surgeon yet, so I was hoping to see if anyone here might have insight.

A quick background about my situation: I had FAI surgery on 12/23/19 to correct both a torn labrum and the CAM impingement that caused it. My surgeon said my tear was severe and that there was so little labrum left that if I were to retear it, there would not be enough for him to operate on, which has left me a little paranoid about potential reinjuries.

Most of my recovery went very well; there were certainly moments when I felt soreness and discomfort or popping, but nothing that lasted more than a couple of days.

Anyways, 6 days ago, I dropped something and instinctively bent down to pick it up, placing all of my bodyweight on my operated leg (with my other leg lifting off the ground). I then felt a large popping/cracking. I was not initially too worried because it felt mostly fine that night, but the next day I felt like my hip was slipping and was in more pain than I’ve felt since about two weeks after the surgery. Now, the pain has not gone away at all and I am having trouble sitting for extended periods of time and sleeping. I am walking with a significant limp because if I don’t, each step there is the same small popping I felt I before surgery.

As I said, I already contacted my surgeon, but I figured it would do a lot for my mind if anyone had some possible insight into what this could be. I admittedly don't fully understand the surgery/healing process that well, so I'm very curious if the actions I described are enough to cause the labrum to retear, the surture anchors to break, or some other serious injury?

I hope it is nothing serious and is just an intense aggravation, but given that I am in such pain and I doubt my doctor will respond before the weekend, it would go a long way for my sanity if anyone had any ideas of what this could be.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
Hello @MOK11

One of the senior advisors will make your signature for you and give you advice on your hip.

:welome: to BoneSmart.

Meanwhile Please read the guidelines, then we're ready for specific questions :)

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Debru4

graduate
Country
I'm glad you found this forum. No matter what questions you have, most likely there will be someone who has had a similar experience, or the same question. I'm glad you reached out to your surgeon and hopefully they'll get back to you soon. But in the interim, read some of the info the forum advisors shared, and also read posts from others who have had similar concerns.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@MOK11 Welcome to BoneSmart! Were you fully weight bearing before you had this "accident"? Does icing and elevation ease this feeling (see articles above)?

OP
OP
M

MOK11

Country
Hi guys,
I appreciate your responses and it's definitely valuable to be able to read others' posts.

I had been fully-weight bearing before the accident, which is one reason why I was not too initially worried. However, I hadn't spent much time putting full weight on it while bending/being at strange angles.

I continue to ice it, but it has not seemed to helpful. Elevation does help a bit (though to the same extent that lying down eases it).

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
It's going to be pretty difficult to determine exactly what may be going on with your hip without some imaging. I hope you can get a phone or video conference with your surgeon and he can arrange for that to be done, even though surgeries are not being done in most areas. The best you can do until that happens is to rest, ice and elevate along with taking some Extra Strength Tylenol when you do have pain.

I'm sorry you've had this happen and I know you are probably anxious to find out exactly what is going on. I hope you hear from your surgeon quickly.

OP
OP
M

MOK11

Country
Hey Jamie,

I appreciate that message. I'm scheduled to talk with my surgeon this week and hopefully he'll be able to give me a little more clarity but he also addressed we won't know anything definitive until I can get imaging, which might not be for some time. The good news though is that while there is definitely still some discomfort and popping, most of the pain is gone.

So I definitely appreciate the advice and the sentiment and thank you again.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello :wave:
Its good to read the pain is easing. I hope you have a productive visit with your surgeon this week. Let us know how it goes if you don’t mind sharing.
It’s a special day....Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope it’s a good one. :)
@MOK11

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks