BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Question about mobility aids..

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by honeybeast, May 16, 2018.

1. honeybeast

honeybeast junior member

United States United States
    I live in a condo complex at the top of what is a fairly steep hill. The kind you can't get up in the winter because its too slick.

I'm trying to think about what my best option would be for mobility aids after surgery. There is a flat, level area at the end of our unit, but that will require me pushing a walker uphill past 3 units. And then back downhill to get home. I will have my hubby with me.

Or, I could go out the back into our backyard but that's a bumpy, grassy area and not really conducive to pushing a walker. Would crutches be better?

I also own a treadmill... But the belt slips from time to time. I'm not entirely comfortable walking on it when I haven't had major surgery. So I'm not sure it's the best option either.

Opinions?

2. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

That flat level area will be your friend. There is no flat ground here in the mountains so walking was a challenge. Walking to and from my mailbox was the beginning adventure for me, driveway is gravel, not flat and I used the walker at first then went to the cane pretty quickly. You will find that uphills and downhills will take their toll quickly on your leg muscles. It's not the fatigue as much as the strain which leads to the pain. I would go to the walking track at the park which is pretty flat and paved, then we would go to other parks, but every walking trail was very hilly even if it was paved. You'll read about a lot of THR complain about knee pain after surgery. It's mostly the muscles that connect at the knee, I would feel a burning at the top of the knee cap. Between all of the strange pains and sensations and the time sitting in a chair you can do the research and learn every muscle in that area of your body. this way you'll know who's yelling at you.

3. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    @honeybeast ....will it be possible for you to try a walker and crutches at the hospital, or thro your P/T? I think whatever feels the most natural and comfortable for you is going to be the best.....if it doesn't feel right you won't want to use it, and it may make you walk awkwardly.....so maybe just suck it and see. A treadmill is probably not a good option until you're further into recovery...t nearly 8 wks I find my balance is still slightly off, and you don't want to risk toppling off a moving belt. :bawl:

4. EmEm

EmEm member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Would your husband be able to drive you to a supermarket or shopping mall? That's where I did some of my early post-op walking because we live on a small country road that's not really suitable to walk along. The mall was great because it was wide and flat and I could concentrate on walking rather than having to watch where I was putting my feet. I had 2 walking sticks for a couple of weeks then one stick.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

I agree with EmEm on the mall idea if there's one close to you. I walked indoors during early recovery since my surgery was in December. Just pick a time when it's not so busy. Places with carts to walk with are good too.

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Talk to PT when you are in the hospital about your home situation. They will advise you what walking aid options are the best.

I would not recommend using the treadmill at all until you are released to do so at your post op followup appointment. In addition, if there are issues with your treadmill please don't use it until it is fixed. Far too dangerous just out of major surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

First rule from my Dr. DON'T FALL DOWN!, so i'd pass on the faulty treadmill. Once you're out of the house a large store or mall is great especially in bad or too hot weather. If you park far from the store park near a cart corral. A shopping cart is a great walker, easy to really practice proper walking. In malls you can wach your gait in the reflection of the windows.