THR Question about hip pain

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I had a right THR 3 1/2 yrs ago and it is great. Recently I've feel what I'll just call "twinges" in my left hip. But I don't feel that I've lost any range of motion with my left leg. This is all very minor and nothing I plan to see a doctor about in the near future but since this is a forum with so much knowledge, I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has ever had OA pain in their hip without loss of range of motion?? I did do a little reading on this and it sounds like it is a possibility but they didn't discuss it very much so I'm not quite sure. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Unfortunately or fortunately for me when my 2nd hip became difficult it started with pain which led to loss of motion since it hurt to walk especially in the groin but also radiated down the thigh to ankle. I also lost ability to do stairs right away or put on socks or tie shoes.

You might want to see an orthopaedic surgeon and get x-rays just to see how the hip is looking. My hip started with small twinges and went down to impossible very quickly. Made it easier to make a decision but it was extremely uncomfortable and limiting till surgery.

Here are some articles that might help you decide especially the first one - Score chart.
HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Thank you for your thoughts and info @leejaa. With my first hip, I lost range of motion like you described and got those shooting pains down my leg at times. When I didn’t have those, it just hurt to walk. Now with the other hip, I’m getting mild pains off and on but still have range of motion. I really wondered if anyone else knew they had pain in their hip from OA but also still had their range of motion??

Hi, one of my favorite hippy pals
I had pain without loss of much range of motion for quite a while before the inflammation and tightness, and I suppose the "end stage" of OA finally had me limping and unable to get my leg over my ATV, etc
Perhaps some other issue...I know you aren't exactly looking forward to another hip surgery.:nah:
Hope you check when you feel it's time to find out what imaging actually discloses.
Big hugs. And heating pad.

@GrannyC hey there! My second one was much like Leejaa's-- I probably had more actual ROM than the pain allowed. Go ahead and have it looked at sometime when you're feeling brave about being out. You never know!

Hi @GrannyC
Sorry to read your left hip is giving you some grief. My left (non op) hip gives me subtle signs once in awhile also, usually if I’ve walked too much. Just like you, ROM is still great though. Actually, better in some ways than my replaced hip. Go figure!

My surgeons PA reminded me once that our prosthetic hip will never match our natural hip, but it gets pretty close. Since I know I have some arthritis in my left hip, it’s just a matter of time I’m assuming.

Refresh my memory please, have you ever been told you have arthritis in your left hip?

Always nice to see your posts, sorry it’s for this reason. I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Fall is in the air here, Maples turning red, beautifully sunny, much cooler days. LOVE!

Great to hear from you my old friend @Mojo333! You’re right - I really don’t want to think about another surgery but we will see what happens. You answered my question though with just what I wanted to know. I do have a slipped disc in my lower back that bothers some although mostly when I’m bending over for too long like working in the garden, and I can feel that in the upper part of my hip but this is different. It’s more where the joint is and the last couple days I’ve gotten a couple sharper pains on occasion when taking a step although most of the time I can’t feel anything in that hip. If it keeps up or starts to get worse, I’ll definitely have it checked. I know for sure I have OA in both knees and I thought one of them would be the next to go since this hip hadn’t bothered at all. Yet another reminder we don’t know what tomorrow will bring!

I hope all is well with you. I’m sure it has been super busy at the food pantry these last six months. Hopefully you and your family have been able to avoid this virus. It’s hard to believe it’s been 3 1/2 yrs now since we were going through our recoveries. Time goes quickly!

Thanks for the comments @zauberflöte. You are definitely right - you never know!

Hi @Layla ! Great to see you. Looks like we were posting at the same time. I definitely have OA in both knees and I’m sure it must be in my other hip, too, although to be perfectly honest, I don’t remember for sure if I’ve been told that. At the time they would have done the X-ray, I was totally focused on my right hip as that was the one that hurt and now I don’t remember what they said about the left hip. Like you, my operated hip is fine but I still don’t have the range of motion I was did. I’m blaming it on the OA in my knees. They get very still after sitting and I find myself often going up and down stairs one step at a time like when my right hip hurt but other than that, they don’t really bother me. As I said above, if it continues or gets worse, I’ll get it checked.

I hope all is well with you and that you and your family have been able to avoid this virus, too. I feel like a bear in hibernation. The cases are low in our area - usually just 1 or 2 new cases in the county each day and sometimes none - so the last couple weeks I’ve started going to the grocery store again. It seems good to pick out my own things again instead of relying on a delivery service. Take care!

Glad you are able to get out some and numbers are low.
Our local university came back into session and put our town on the NY Times list for number 3 hotspot a few weeks ago.:groan:
An influx of 25,000 young folks from mostly urban areas just flattened our flattening efforts.
Yes, the need has been unrelenting as businesses stay closed or restricted so I've been crazy busy.
I hope you do get a clear look and what that hip looks like now so you can see what needs to be done.
Hope you have a nice Sunday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks