Knee Infection* Question about dizziness

@Catalien45, that gumbo recipe is a double treasure! The Spanish traditions are many, like 3 Kings Day or the Iberico jamon leg on the counter at Christmas time. They walk by, cut a slice and keep on truckin' while they munch.
1642129724193.png

the St Lucia celebration was really special. I think maybe there were some special cookies. Maybe you & your daughter could make that part of your cookie swap. I remember the photo of the two of you, I was thinking, she would make a beautiful Lucia.

Thank you, you're very sweet! :loveshwr: Sadly, St. Lucia is not really a tradition we've ever practiced. Yes, there are some special cookies and Saffron buns that are made. Have I ever made them? No...:sigh: My mother used to make Norwegian Kringler for special occasions, church events, etc. I remember she'd get up early in the morning to make it as it always tasted best when made the same day. She also used to make Krumkake and we even tried rosettes once. Sadly, my sister and I have not kept these traditions alive, although we were very happy to finally find our mother's recipe for Norwegian Kringler written in her own handwriting.

Edited to add: You got me talking about food and I forgot to answer your other questions. Daisy is doing much better, very little coughing and her energy is back (she's back to needing two walks a day again). She got vet-approval to play with her bestie this weekend (since they've both had kennel cough) but no other doggies until next weekend as she might still be contagious.

Last edited:
Hi @Catalien45. I haven't seen an update in a while. How are you doing?

Hi @Catalien45. I’m having my second TKR on Wednesday (and full of nervous energy) so I’m randomly reading recovery threads here to pass the time. Yours has been so much fun I just wanted to thank you for the distraction! I especially love the food conversations - I’m an adequate cook but I’m a world-class eater!

BTW, shrimp and grits is an amazing dish! One time my hubs and I took a leisurely week to drive from northern Virginia to Hilton Head and I tried shrimp and grits in every city we visited. I called it my “Shrimp and Grits Tour” (not to be confused with either of my “Margarita Weeks”) and it was awesome! The funny thing was that my favorite shrimp and grits were those prepared locally at one of our favorite restaurants. I guess, for me, there’s no place like home!

Keep talking food, please. I can’t afford to eat all the calories I’d like, but I can certainly afford to read about them!

One time my hubs and I took a leisurely week to drive from northern Virginia to Hilton Head and I tried shrimp and grits in every city we visited.
We had a trip to Hilton Head that we dubbed "The Food and Heritage Tour". Shrimp and Grits were a repeated star at many meals. One visit to Charleston that week started with S&G in Hilton Head and ended with S&G in Hilton Head despite having dinner in Charleston. Pretty fun.:snork:

@hawk2go, we also hit Charleston on my S&G Tour (along with Virginia Beach and Wilmington, NC). I was amazed that Virginia’s s&g were better than Charleston’s (at least to my unsophisticated palate) because Charleston is such a classically southern city.

My in-laws retired to Hilton Head after raising their family on Long Island so HH is full of wonderful memories for us. We still take the entire family (three kids, their three spouses and four grandkids) there for Christmas occasionally. It’s especially great during the winter because it’s so deserted. I had the most wonderful time introducing my youngest granddaughter to the beach/ocean when she was only two. I can still hear her belly laughs every time the tide would chase her. It was a magical holiday.

I love your “Food and Heritage Tour”! And there’s nothing wrong with following one dinner with a second - that’s allowed pursuant to “vacation rules”!

BTW, we’re big fans of Philadelphia. My hubs lived there twice while on active duty and two of our closest friends are long-time Buck’s County residents. Lucky you; there are some terrific restaurants in the Philly area!

As usual, she's spreading her love and support in other people's recovery threads......
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

Good morning, everyone!

I am sitting on the couch, enjoying my first cup of coffee. We still get up every morning around 6 so I can get my first antibiotic dose, then space the other 2. It’s a challenge sometimes. I’m also taking a probiotic to hopefully eliminate side effects of the antibiotic, but try to space them 2 hours apart; then I found that my calcium magnesium can interfere with the antibiotic, so also have to space that one. It’s been very educational! I have all sorts of alarms set on my phone. Yesterday, one went off while I was grocery shopping... and, my rather loud bird-chirping text alert from our daughter, then, my husband replying. I finally just lowered my volume - a lot!

@CamGram ... wow. Your surgery will be tomorrow, if I’m reading right. I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers. I relate to your nervous energies! I resisted my TKR for a long time, til finally I had no choice. I’d taken the stance that I’d had enough surgeries in my lifetime, that other than a matter of “ life-or-death situation, I had no intention of having any more. Not too smart, & my stubborn nature finally relented. Absolutely No regrets! I am SO enjoying the Big improvement in my quality of life!! There is no comparison!

As Hawkie once termed it, I am a “ foodie”! My Mom, Mother in law, and Grandmother were all wonderful cooks, and I remember how resourceful Mama always was when finances were tight. She had breast cancer when I was 4, then bone cancer 8 years later, & a lot of medical expenses, and Papa worked for the railroad, so there were strikes, with no paycheck. But - we never missed a meal. And, it was always Good! I also remember her wonderful oatmeal cookies & hot chocolate on Christmas morning. ( she & Papa had been up til wee hours of the morning with Santa’s helper duties, and then her getting the large turkey cooking forChristmas Day...the most Wonderful smell that woke us up!). I love to cook, & am enjoying that again. My appetite went away totally for a while, especially during IV antibiotics for an infection, but it’s Back! And like my knee, better than ever. For sure, I’d do it again, no hesitation. I notice that this is your 2nd TKR. so you know basically, how it goes. I bet you are all prepared. My best to you, I’ll be thinking of you especially tomorrow...

@hawk2go... gee, how very sweet of you to think of me ..... I am doing well! Sometimes I get a little frustrated, & find myself crowding the ODIC bench, and even the corner! (you are the one who first talked about it, for me). My husband will regularly gently remind me (often, to his chagrin, to no avail...). I see so many things that I have “ shelved” for so long! For a number of years, we had a small woodworking business, making handcrafted jewelry & keepsake boxes. We loved it (he worked as a computer analyst for years, skills that he used in designs & calculations); I assisted him a lot, did final standings, & created all the linings, ring & necklace holder pouches. We both loved it, & I still miss some aspects. But, it was a lot of work, & the time came to retire. Then, my bad knee got much worse. So, more “shelving”! Now, I have all this energy, & All these potential projects tempting me! Hence, ODIC time. But, as I continue to heal, I find recovery a lot better, usually, quicker. I do try to pace myself.

We are walking daily now ( one of my big goals... Yay!!). About 2 miles each day. Yesterday, my little Fitbit watch showed 10,000 steps! We get around 6,000 on our walk. I’m trying to lengthen my stride to help my extension, so I get a few less steps, but, we are enjoying the walks.

My appetite is back, I’m happy to say! Between the Tramadol nausea, & then severe appetite loss from the IV antibiotics, food in general, especially things I really like normally, just sounded awful ( the exception was the roast that I could get at the hospital... it was Incredible!, and, my husband’s old-fashioned oatmeal, and his 8-grain cereal, which he still makes once or twice a week). My Infectious Diseases Dr said this would improve once I was on oral antibiotics, which, thankfully, it did. To be a “ foodie” & not enjoying most things is downright Weird! I’m also enjoying cooking once more... And doing our grocery shopping, also driving. My husband was so very sweet to do it, but he is all too happy to relinquish that job!

My main challenges now are: my sense of balance, which is occasionally a little “ wonky”, and stamina, I keep landing in ODIC..

The past week or so, my exercises have been mostly ADL..... our son and his girlfriend are finally able to visit! We are beyond thrilled. There are some areas I want to clear out, particularly the spare room, which is sort of a “ catch all “. They really won’t care, but I want it nice for them. There will be Lots of good food... as she is Italian, she makes the most delicious risotto, and pastas, & loves to cook. David also loves to cook & will make us his pulled pork shoulder roast, cooked all day, along with his two homemade sauces. Lots of fun, and visiting. They will be here Saturday, we can’t wait!

I will see my surgeon on Friday. I plan to request that I stay on my antibiotic til the end of August, when our grandson starts back to school. He will be with us 2 nights & days during the week, & like last year, I don’t want to take a chance on missing out any of that time. And, I want to fully enjoy our garden, Farmers Market, and, Walking! Also, I figure that if I were to get another infection, by September, I’ll be almost a year since my TKR, & 9 months since my cleanout surgery. My ID Dr said that my chances of an infection would be highest shortly after I stopped the antibiotic, as it protective while I take it. Unfortunately, there is no test, nor any measures I can take to prevent. And no guarantees. I have fought staff infections ever since the colitis & peritonitis ( age 20) off & on, for over 50 years, so, I may have a chance for it to recur. Hoping not, but, at least if it does, I’ll be stronger, and, we know what to do. I’m pretty tough, and, my husband is a wonderful “ nurse” ☺️.

Well, as you can see, I began this yesterday, & am just now finishing it... I worked more today in that spare room, & it’s looking good. My husband reminded me earlier, “ Overdoing One day is not too bad, but you probably don’t want to do it Two days in a row..”. After nearly 52 years, he knows me pretty well. So I quit early, & am sitting with the heating pad on my back. No walking today, or tomorrow, we have snow once again. But, it’s good, we need the moisture... and, it has been Sooo pretty!

Today was CamGram’s TKR, if I read it right. Hopefully, she is home now & starting her recovery.

One quick question for you.... have you heard from @Eire1 lately? I have looked for posts from her, & can’t seem to find any lately. I may be looking incorrectly, & I missed a few days. Both she & her husband sounded like such lovely people.

Well, I just heard my dryer sound the alarm that it’s done....it’s in the basement, which gets pretty cold, & if I wait too long to remove the load, it becomes cold & pretty wrinkled. Do take care of yourself, and, again, thanks for asking about me. Btw, after reading the posts about shrimp & grits, I will have to try it! We have cheese grits on Saturday mornings, and, while the kids are here, we plan to go to Lucille’s, a local Creole restaurant here... Delicious food. Maybe they have it......they do have good grits, and seafood entrees......
I’m getting Hungry!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Catalien45 - what a great, positive post to read. You inspire me and lift me out of the doldrums. Shrimp and grits is not something that is on the menu at the coast in the UK but you all make it sound wonderful. Just had breakfast banana cup cakes for breakfast in bed and now getting up to get ready for yoga. The sun is shining and after reading such happy posts I will get up with a spring in my step!!

@Catalien45 What a lovely uplifting post and enjoyable to read
Regarding Eire1, Georgina due to personal reasons has left BoneSmart, however prior to departing, she did ask me to Wish all BoneSmart members a great recovery on her behalf xx

Last edited:
@Catalien45 What a lovely uplifting post and enjoyable to read
Regarding Eire1, Georgina due to personal reasons has left BoneSmart, however prior to departing, she did ask me to Wish all BoneSmart members a great recovery on her behalf xx
Oh that is a shame. I missed a few weeks as I had nothing to contribute and have been wondering where she was as we shared a couple of 'early morning' conversations.

I hope if she still reads even if not contributing, she will see that I send my best and thanks for being a wee small hours companion. :console2:

@Carol Anna , Gee, thanks! It sounds like you had a lovely day ahead of you, and starting with banana cupcakes for breakfast... yum! My husband volunteered to make his wonderful Bob’s 8-grain cereal for breakfast this morning, which I Love! I’m doing breakfast often now, which I enjoy. We’re big breakfast eaters, & I love trying new things, as well as our old favorites. I did check the menu at Lucilles Restaurant we’ll be going to ( our First adventure to a restaurant since the pandemic began!), & they do have a version of shrimp & grits with andouille sausage... a possibility, although I still love the entree we often split, which has indescribably yummy red beans slow cooked with ham, poached eggs with hollandaise sauce, grits, potatoes, & biscuit.....that’s so hard to resist! It is Plenty for the two of us, the biscuit is huge, & I usually bring some home to add to leftover squash for a squash casserole. Sooo good.... and, they have chicory coffee, which we love, & you don’t see it many places...... can you tell, I’m hungry!
The sun is shining here also, and much of the snow we got recently has gone, so a beautiful day ahead. Wishing you another beautiful day, and continued healing!

@Sara61 ... thankyou... I hope your healing is continuing well. I’m so glad that you were able to see a Dr that was more understanding. I bet it feels good to be back in your own home, your own bed. Trips are nice, but home always feels So good. And thankyou for letting us know about Eire1. She sounds like a very lovely person, I will miss her, and hope all is well with her. I occasionally miss some posts for a day or so, & find it hard to “ catch up”. Life will be a bit “ busier” here for a while, with the kids here for a visit. We “share” the time, they are here, but our daughter loves to have them there with her family too, it’s crazy fun, especially when we are all together... and Lots of good food, always! I’m so happy that this time around, I’m not in constant pain with my knee!
Do take good care of yourself, & be sure & get that rest you need.

@jaspa thankyou..... you are early on in yours..... I hope it is going well. I remember my Dr saying, “ those first two weeks are tough....but then it gets better!” I hope your progress is going well now that you are in that 3rd week. Rest well, and heal.....

@Carol Anna , Gee, thanks! It sounds like you had a lovely day ahead of you, and starting with banana cupcakes for breakfast... yum! My husband volunteered to make his wonderful Bob’s 8-grain cereal for breakfast this morning, which I Love! I’m doing breakfast often now, which I enjoy. We’re big breakfast eaters, & I love trying new things, as well as our old favorites. I did check the menu at Lucilles Restaurant we’ll be going to ( our First adventure to a restaurant since the pandemic began!), & they do have a version of shrimp & grits with andouille sausage... a possibility, although I still love the entree we often split, which has indescribably yummy red beans slow cooked with ham, poached eggs with hollandaise sauce, grits, potatoes, & biscuit.....that’s so hard to resist! It is Plenty for the two of us, the biscuit is huge, & I usually bring some home to add to leftover squash for a squash casserole. Sooo good.... and, they have chicory coffee, which we love, & you don’t see it many places...... can you tell, I’m hungry!
The sun is shining here also, and much of the snow we got recently has gone, so a beautiful day ahead. Wishing you another beautiful day, and continued healing!
Shrimp, grits and andouille sausage Yum! We are going out for breatfast this morning to a place called The Hideout which is a 5 minute walk from our house. The last time we went for breakfast Jack had chorizo eggs benedict - he likes to try the unusual and he thought this was excellent. I usually go for English breakfast or American pancakes and bacon. Might try something different this morning. Oh well must get up and get dressed! Have a wonderful weekend xx

Hi @Catalien45. It's been a while. I'm hoping you're busy living life.

I thought I'd reply in YOUR actual thread. :heehee:

Yes, that's Daisy, she's 2-1/2 years old now so still a puppy in lab years. :doggie:She has settled down a lot though and likes her naps but will go crazy when there's a squirrel in the yard. Yes, it was a lovely summer and I'm sad to see it go. I did start Fall decorating but I'm pacing myself since I now have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I've got new orthodics on order but they're not here yet. My foot will hurt if I'm on my feet too much. We are also dealing with smoke from a wildfire here that's fairly close. Woke up to smoky skies again this morning. I'm hoping the marine air from the Pacific clears it out again. Overnight it's too easy for that smoke to slither down the valley and head right our way.

Glad to hear you, your knee and your family are doing well! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks