Question about adhesions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowdy66

graduate
Hey, Guys!
Since you all are my experts I have to ask this as it is something I am worried about post surgery. Is there anything that a person can do to keep from getting adhesions? I am concerned because after my scopes last spring at about four months I suddenly could no longer straighten my legs, either one. I don't know if I have adhesions or if it is just all the damage in both knees that is making it impossible to straighten them. I think I have lived with the pain in my knees for so long now that I am obsessed with them, I don't know. My surgery is five weeks off and I am so scared, the only thing that would scare me more is the thought that I would have to live the rest of my life the way I am now. Anyway if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Definitely not having a good day, can't imagine that I would have the surgery and not be better than this. Jan (Rowdy66)

I surely don't know, but I was told there is no way to predict that. That is the problem I have and I just posted a question for Josephine regarding the same issue. I will tell you that I am better off regarding pain now after the TKR than before, but I can't bend mine past what I call about half way. Rowdy, look at it this way, this is YOUR decision. They are not going to come get you and drag you out and do it. Where I was, and it sounds like you are, I had to do something, now I wasn't ready for what I got, but I didn't have this board then. You really should not be afraid, you know how you feel now and you can read what has happened with all of us. I don't think any of us that have a few months post-op would say "Don't do it" but it is not as easy as the docs lead you to believe. My knee was junk for 30 years, I can't remember any time for the past 10 years that it did not hurt. I'm am not hurting now. 10 weeks is not long compared to 10 years.

I don't have a clue about adhesions.

I DO have a clue about TKR. Do it. nuff said (but I want to say more)

Honey...you will be anxious until you get to the hospital (we all were scared!) but they'll give you a nice little pillypoo and your little nerves will
POOF go byebye....you'll feel uncomfortable and sore for a while and about the 3rd or so week, you'll feel human and we'll take over from there!!!

ohhhhhhhhh don't you want to take a step on a knee that has NO grinding pain and scorching nerves??????? I absolutely LOVE not dealing with that anymore!!! When I walk up stairs I smile because there's NO pain. My zirconium knee doesn't have ONE single, solitary nerve in it!!!!!!! ....glides like a big fat slippery greased up monkey!!!

Rowdy,
I had eight surgeries prior to the TKR. After the last couple I didn't have full extension either. I also couldn't get a bend past 90. Every step hurt, and for six months prior to tkr, I was on pain pills. Lower doses than now but none the less, a narcotic.
It is perfectly natural to be nervous. Just stay informed and check in here. All the questions have or can be answered.

My doc told me to start working to straighten out my leg as soon as I got into my room after surgery. I did that all the time. I've not had any issues, but if I don't do it regularly I struggle the next time I try it. So, that would be my advice. I don't know about adhesions, but I think I'm happy about that.

Skeet

Rowdy, to set your mind at rest, adhesions don't occur after scoping as the ligaments haven't been interfered with. It wouldn't usually happen after (true) MIS either for the same reason.

However, in a traditional TKR they are exposed to the air (thereby drying off somewhat) and also placed in abnormal positions. This can (only can - not inevitably) cause them to stick together in the days,weeks after surgery.

Now the thing to remember is that most people's bodies will compensate by producing extra synovial fluid, a fluid with a consistency roughly equivalent to egg white, that lubricates all ligaments and joints where movement is necessary. It can be over-produced in a joint which gives rise to that of described condition 'fluid on the knee'. So for 99.9% of patients having knee surgery, this will not be a problem as nature takes care of it. The remaining 0.1% may require a manipulation to free things up. It's one of those things that cannot be predicted and if there are any statistics to show how it can be avoided or prevented, I haven't come across them yet. But even those who experience this unfortunate complication have usually caught up by the end of the year.

In short, I wouldn't get too caught up in this. I suggest that instead of worrying about all the things that could go wrong, you focus on the bright future this op will present you with.

Don't we all feel so smart mouthing off our WISDOM's....then Miss Jo comes in with her Synovial watchamacallits and makes us look like big fat greased dumb monkey heads!

NewWoman, I am feeling pretty darn special now knowing that I am in such an elite ,0.1%, group. How 'bout you? Missed you yesterday Josephine, everything OK?

oh........nevermind......(poor little patti....sulking in the corner....all redfaced and pitiful)

NewWoman, I am feeling pretty darn special now knowing that I am in such an elite ,0.1%, group. How 'bout you? Missed you yesterday Josephine, everything OK?

Was actually WORKING yesterday! Had to do some medicals at this firm. Spent the morning dealing with 5 Polish gentlemen who didn't speak a word of English! What fun! Happily the first guy did and stayed with me as interpreter. Great he was too - after the second guy, he didn't need me to keep telling him, just rattled it all off on his own!!

And Patti, I have to keep slipping in the odd bit of scientific gobbledygook to keep my standing in here. Y'all are getting so knowledgeable about this stuff, I shall be made redundant before long!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_wink_1.jpg

sulking-doubtful; redfaced-doubtful; pitiful-HA! The ONLY reason I give you a hard time is because I KNOW you can take it, eat it up and throw it back. Love ya, Patti.

Josephine, we 'grasshoppers' are not yet ready to leave, there is still much for us to learn. I posted a ? yesterday that I hope you get around to when you start your next round of "gobbledygook".

A redneck woman IS a force to be reckon'd with!! I CAN take it...I CAN fry it in a cast iron skillit and throw that greasy thang right backatcha!!
love ya back, gat!

Josephine, we 'grasshoppers' are not yet ready to leave, there is still much for us to learn. I posted a ? yesterday that I hope you get around to when you start your next round of "gobbledygook".

Think I did it already - if not, bump it up for me, plsthxk

Levity is good for the soul Hemi and Gatiger, keep us laughing with you. I think I saw a greased monkey last time I saw my Dr....he was gone in a flash. Thats why I changed Doctors :)

Just wanted to let you guys know.....my shoulder is killing me from raking leaves yesterday...but my knee is FINE :) Never thought Id ever be able to say that....now as for my lower back...thats another story!

Respects,
Chuck

Good to hear from you, T, and great to hear about the knee. With all you guys going back to work it makes me feel like a bum. I could get used to this staying home stuff sooo easy. I just talked to my Foreman from work and it sounds like I'll have plenty to keep me occupied when I get back. I look foreward to the day that I have something to talk about besides my knee; so does my wife.

Boy I left the house for a couple of hours and missed out on all of the activity.
I HAVE A QUESTION....
We have a pretty good weather front hitting us today. My knee told me about it at about 3am. It is heading up the east coast. I am curious if my east coast pen pals feel it in their knees.
Yesterday I had a great "knee day". Walked and walked. Today it hurts like a big fat constipated greased monkey.(how bout that one Patti)?
I am going to sit here in my chair, take a pill, watch t.v., and sleep when it hits me.---The joy of retirement. I stupidly choose a profession with a great retirement when I was a young'un.
Gat, I'll be here if you want to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member