PKR QdogPa recovery

Still have an issue getting laundry out of the front load washer and dryer, as bending is still difficult.
It took longer, but I used a 'reacher' to get my clothes out of the dryer. These are normally used to get things that are high up, but can be used to get lower things, too.

10 weeks post op...never would have thought at 10 weeks I wouldn’t be close to 100%...gonna say I am around 80%...kneecap is achy, especially under and below the kneecap.. no issues with weight bearing.. Not confidant foot over foot going downstairs ...sleeping is getting better, still use a pillow under knee to help soothe minor aches...haven’t had many zingers , so that’s a good sign !
attempted to weed some of gardens, wasn’t that smart of an idea.Hardly can bend down, and knee gave me some grief,so I stopped...time continues to be the best healer...keep up with your ADL’s ! It does get better!

I found that I'd could do about 15 minutes of weeding at first for about a week. I would increase it a little bit the next week and would see how my knee would react. I got it done, but it took me bout all summer!

I am with you on bending down. Uncomfortable still -- I dread it every time I need to pick something up off of the floor. Purchased bulbs today to plant in a week or so. Now I know to just plan for 15 minute planting spurts per day... Asked my OS about the stiffness and discomfort at my 6 week post-op. Was told 6 months to a year, that this was MAJOR trauma to my knee. At least my knee is not painful, just irritating but part of healing. I still am not even close to attempting to descend the stairs foot over foot. I know to be patient after seeing my Dad get both knees replaced at 3 months apart. I had realistic expectations so that helps my recovery outlook. Yep, time is our friend.

@Qdogpa I just love to read your posts when everything is a replica to me. Stairs, bending, oh what a rotten nuisance, but I am walking a little better, getting the gait right is tough. Sleeping slightly better, pillow between my legs but constantly turning from left to right side and that is a performance!!! So, onwards and upwards, just think how far we have come, stay strong xxx

10 weeks post op...never would have thought at 10 weeks I wouldn’t be close to 100%...gonna say I am around 80%
Around 80% is pretty good for 10 weeks post-op.
Since complete recovery of all your tissues does take a full year, you have plenty of time for continued improvement.

@Qdogpa and @Andypandy :
I am about the same in recovery time as you. I am very depressed about the lack of recovery. Nothing seems to be much different in the past weeks, and now it seems like when I walk if I walk "off sidewalk" on a trail even slightly up or down I get the "zaps"; then knee complains the rest of the day. I seem to be going backward. Not having any Physical Therapy or doctor advise as to progression, due to the virus unavailability of help, I am insecure as to what is too much or what I should be doing at this point- two months out. I am looking out at a lovely day that just taunts me because I am afraid to go for a walk.

@Qdogpa and @Andypandy :
I am about the same in recovery time as you. I am very depressed about the lack of recovery. Nothing seems to be much different in the past weeks, and now it seems like when I walk if I walk "off sidewalk" on a trail even slightly up or down I get the "zaps"; then knee complains the rest of the day. I seem to be going backward. Not having any Physical Therapy or doctor advise as to progression, due to the virus unavailability of help, I am insecure as to what is too much or what I should be doing at this point- two months out. I am looking out at a lovely day that just taunts me because I am afraid to go for a walk.
Hey@aperture. Go for the walk!! Don't give into fear and don't fall for preconceived notions of where you should be. You are a unique individual with an unique knee.
Go for a short walk, see how your knee feels. When you get back immediately ice and elevate. If that goes well, go a little farther.
I'm doing PT in house. Just heel slides and lifting my leg up while sitting in a chair. Again I take it S-L-O-W

@aperture it's so frustrating as each day seems no different, but when you stop and think back we have progressed, albeit slowly and that is what this op is, slowly but surely recovery. I have been grateful for the advice on here, listening to others and I then realise I am not doing too bad. Still not got gait right which in turn throws my back, using ice constantly to relieve swelling which appears after not doing much. Beautiful day here but decided will not do my walk as having one of those days, and when I have one of those I rest, ice and hope tomorrow will be better. I have no PT and TBH do we need them? Try to relax and hopefully you will see improvement, but it's a slow process. Take care xx

Wednesday 80%, or so I thought...today is Saturday, and revised it to 70%... Did some much needed kitchen cleaning,and paying the price for being on feet for a few hours.. above and below knee achy, and under kneecap as well..took one of dogs for a short walk, and while knee is fully weight bearing without issue, the ache of knee area is annoying. Sleep continues to improve, but still have a pillow to rest knee on , when needed at night..the tightness is still an issue around knee....not doing any PT, just ADL’s and walks...
time continues To be our best friend in this recovery process!

the tightness is still an issue around knee
Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

“Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness”

Are you suggesting PT is needed?

Personally I don’t believe formal PT is needed, but many members think it is.

I think we can do things on our own that will give our healing knee the mobility it needs, and somehow we have to have the patience to give our knee the time it needs to heal.

I also believe that formal PT isn't needed. But, that doesn't mean sitting around doing nothing. It's using your knee as God intended it to be used. I used it doing my activities of daily living, (ADL). That is PT, and it is without as much pain and swelling.

You need to add “just kidding” :rotfl:

Yeah, some of the accounts I have read here of over- aggressive physical therapy sounds like medieval torture, and even though I can’t get any due to the virus, I am happy with my outdoor walks and day to day activities. It was helpful to read about the “tight band around the knee feeling” as something that is not needing stretching but a normal tissue healing.

just passed 11 weeks post op...the knee aches , so does surrounding areas and calf...Not sharp pains, just aches, and tires easily. Sleeping has gotten better, not great, but ok. Actually cut the lawn yesterday , first using the ride on, then used push mower for around the pool. came in and iced it, but not terrible. I seem to favor the knee when I take my walks during the day, slight limp to my stride .
Not sure I would suggest to someone who asks if they should have the surgery in spring or summer...i Had mine done on 1/21, and looking back would have moved to early January. It is a long, slow process in recovery, and losing a spring and most of summer would not be something I would like.
Hopefully everyone is progressing in their recovery , and time is our best friend in the process..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads