TKR Pulled Ligament in Week 6 recovery

Samsrf

Country
United States United States
And a very good point about looking at my own progress rather than where I am not. It IS better. So today I will readjust my expectations and count my blessings.

Yes!!! Everytime I get anxiety about my 12 week appointment I remind myself each week it is getting better. I did this course a few years ago and one thing that stuck with me was Mental Toughness module. Gabby Reese (former prof. Volleyball player) talked a lot about perspective and she said “If I flip me, I flip my environment” and how we should focus on what we CAN do and not what we can’t.

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
@mtnplayva well, we will be snails together! Isn't it nice to have permission to just heal gently and slowly? I keep forgetting to look forward so these wise folks are a life saver.

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
Just an update to my wonderful supportive friends here. It is week 16 for me and I'm still a bit impatient but am still sticking to my common sense, practicing patience. Where I live it is hot as hades and walking outside even early morning is not doable. I have ordered an inexpensive treadmill so I can do more sustained walking since I feel that is what is lacking. I am getting more strength from my exercises, my flex is nothing to write home about in improvement but it is improving slowly ...bit by bit. My walking is concerning because I still have stiffness and a bit of knee buckling and REALLY have to practice not limping.

My heel/calf is just stiff and I do stretches but I can tell it causes a limp. The good news is by the stretching previously seems to have cleared up the heel/plantar fasciitis thing that was happening.

Never went back to PT, I continue doing my ADL and am slowly adding the continuous walking into my routine (once the treadmill comes). I want to be able to measure my walking ...for instance a mile, etc.

Still experiencing stiffness and "the band" but getting less, still have inner knee pain if I do too much - usually trying to flex beyond my capacity at this point and outer knee - which is just a stiff IT band I imagine. Stretching relieves that. Oh...and I can do my stationary cycle now 15 minutes at a reasonable resistance. LOL...even that is slow on building my time. I add 2 or 3 minutes every week! Talk about snail pace. My head says I am behind...my common sense says, "carry on".

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
Question my friends. So I got the treadmill and I just did 10 minutes at a slow speed yesterday but today my knee cap (at the bottom) is tender and a bit painful when walking. I imagine that even 10 minutes was too much???? I've had the tenderness/pain before when I bend my knee too much or too much walking. I'm not trying to be concerned but thought I'd throw it out to you guys. Anyone else had this? I'm trying to build up my walking in longer stages because I find I've gone through shin pain, plantar facilities "stage", tight IT bands - all which slowing down a bit and stretching have moved me out of this and made it better. I guess this is a new stage that will pass? I'm just now focusing more sustained walking and getting that limp under a bit more control. I've added in me just walking up steps "normally"...nothing crazy. I do just a few at a time a couple of times a day. Yes, I'm icing and elevating. :). Man...snail pace!!!!! I am still doing my stationary cycle 18 minutes a day now...yeah...improvement. Now I'm 16 weeks out...so I am definitely now doing excessive exercise. Mostly ADL. I'm thinking of skipping the treadmill today and tomorrow just do 5 minutes. LOL.

mtnplayva

Country
10 minutes at a slow speed yesterday but today my knee cap (at the bottom) is tender and a bit painful when walking. I imagine that even 10 minutes was too much???? I've had the tenderness/pain before when I bend my knee too much or too much walking.
I get that same pain spot when I do too many stairs. PT told me it's the patellar tendons. I took a few days off of extra exercises and went back to single steps to go up/down our stairs and it really helped. I'm 3 weeks farther along than you and I am 2 weeks of being able to walk without a cane or much of a limp. I really worked with PT to get my gait normal, arm swing correct and lose the swaying I was doing. I really had to think about what I was doing - seems like walking should be simple after 63 years but I guess not!

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
Oh thank you, @mtnplayva ! You know I was back tracking my last few days in my mind and realized it might be the steps! You just confirmed it for me. I remember I've been adding going down the steps a bit the last few days and feeling a stress under the knee cap and I did that this morning, too. I will back off the steps for a while and just go back to single steps. Of all the things I'm trying to accomplish - the steps can wait. Thank you and it is really reassuring to know someone just ahead of me in recovery is taking it slow, also. Cheers to your recovery and thank you for your support.

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
I have another question, @mtnplayva ...if you don't mind. Did you continue a stationary cycle as you recovered from the patella tendon strain? I'm just wondering what I continue to do while I try to rest this knee a bit. Thank you!

mtnplayva

Country
I have another question, @mtnplayva ...if you don't mind. Did you continue a stationary cycle as you recovered from the patella tendon strain? I'm just wondering what I continue to do while I try to rest this knee a bit. Thank you!
Yes I did - I do it at PT for 10 minutes. I wish I had one at home!

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
Thank you, @sistersinhim. Apparently you are in tune with my surgeon's assistant. Because I thought it better to check out the knee cap pain for peace of mind, he suggested the same. He took X-rays today. When I mentioned the treadmill, he said he would advice a stationary bike over a treadmill. Much better for the knees and my left knee also has osteoarthritis but not as bad as my new surgical right. I do like recumbent but since I have a stationary I will continue to use that one and maybe donate the new treadmill to someone. (Or try to get my husband to use it...:) He said everything looks great, my recovery is right on schedule and normal for where I am in healing. He agreed that the pain was probably due to me trying to go down steps too early and it was too stressful. Get this...he said, "it will all come in its time, don't worry". I felt like I heard my fellow Bonesmart friends in that. He said continue what I'm doing and I will continue to get stronger. He also reassured me and gave me a heads up...that the swelling will continue to get better but it can last for several months. All normal and part of the process. Now where have I heard this before?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Runningfree
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom