TKR Pulled Ligament in Week 6 recovery

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
United States United States
@sistersinhim ... thank you. I have been icing and I will attempt to get the surgery report. Someone else (who had a TKR) had suggested this also. Did you pain eventually leave? I've also slowed down on activities/exercises a tad and that also has helped. I think the last PT session really flared it up and I will address that today with him and ask that we do not push my knee against it's will to conform to a number degree for the surgeon. I knew better when it was happening.
Thank you.

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I think the last PT session really flared it up and I will address that today with him and ask that we do not push my knee against it's will to conform to a number degree for the surgeon.
Don't ask him, tell him that you will not allow your knee to be pushed at all. What you can do on your own is the only number that counts. Plus, pushing it further is not helpful, but harmful.
Did you pain eventually leave?
It, along with the stiffness, was the last to leave me. I asked on Bonesmart if anyone else had had it and that's when someone suggested getting the surgical report. Once I read I'd had the release, my mind eased.

amymhere

Country
Just try to rest it and not push it! You will get there. Slow and steady wins the race!

I am 11 days out Revision to my left knee. Yesterday at PT my therapist was trying to get me to do some stuff but I twisted my knee in bed getting it settled for ice and elevation. It hurts in a specific spot and there are a few exercises that hurt when I do them in that same spot. So yesterday at PT my therapist had me doing some stuff and I was like, ..... "ummm nope not doing that, ehhh, nope can't do that one right now either, you have a modification for that???" He was looking at me like I was nuts but I just said I can't push that right now as I pulled something and it has to heal first. What I am very aware of is if I push it my knee will swell and hurt and I will be set back further.

There is a balance to all things. Listen to your body first and foremost. If it hurts don't do it! You will get there. I know everyone has these goals but it will come in time. For some of us it's a different timeframe than what they think it needs to be. When I had my left TKR I could not bear weight on it at 6 weeks. They tried to take my crutches away but I could not put weight through it. Eventually I could and I could bend it as far as it needed to go. It took months. I'm more fortunate with this revision but the point is to just listen to your body. You can do this. Keep the faith, you will get there! Sending patience and strength!

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
Thank you, everyone! Thank you. So advice given above from others was taken and I did tell the PT guy - no more pushing on that knee. NOW...another thing has cropped up! So I am walking more and staring to just use a cane instead of the one crutch (when inside the house). I've been give a few strengthening exercises which I've added in but NOT excessive. HOWEVER with all the new walking and activity...it started as a tightness in the bottom of the foot area when waking up and now I have heel pain when I walk! Jeez. I've been gently stretching my heel/calves like a runner stretch trying to add in flexibility. Anyone else had this? My goodness...I'm just trying to walk. I sure hope it is not a bone spur or plantar faciscilitis. I have put one new shoes and with more support as someone suggested - not using my pre-surgery shoes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
I told my PT about the latest on my heel pain and he is seeing me today. I will hopefully get some guidance on how to get "out of this one". I'm pretty sure I've added too much activity (walking too far) at too fast a pace. However, we will see. I am hoping for stretches to ease the pain and prevent further "damage".

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Sorry to read about this, @BlueSkiesHere :console2:

I've had plantar fasciitis and it's no fun! Hope it's just some soft tissue that has been awaken from the walking (or the new shoes).

I'll be curious to learn what your therapist says. Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
@benne68 ...thank you for your support. So I had my appointment with PT yesterday and I had to sit with it a minute. He is a fan of the McKenzie method so instead of addressing what is so clear to me - tightness in arch, pain/burning in heel and tightness in ankle/calf area...he wanted to say it was coming from a lumbar area. After his "tests" I kept telling him - none of that helps, my back doesn't hurt...I have tightness and strain in the arch/heel because I believe I went from 0 to 90 on walking and activity without stretching and monitoring my activity. He finally gave me one stretch for the soleus but it was with a bit of attitude. I really want to just move on and have the exercises I need to continue strengthening myself after PT. I see him tomorrow and will express what I need from him. It will be 12 weeks Friday - I need to heal this tightness and be on a cane (not one crutch) and then walking unaided. No more setbacks. I'm so frustrated. So of course the heel has slowed me down and I'm doing my own stretches for it and limiting my walking. urrrrrggghhh! You would think a PT guy would tell you the importance of stretching before and after activity and to slowly build. But then...I need to keep using my common sense.

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I need to keep using my common sense.
Yes! Only you know what you are feeling and can decide what is helpful and what is not.

I'm sorry he isn't being responsive to your needs. Remember that YOU are in control of your recovery -- not him. You can stop seeing him and/or switch to a different therapist at your discretion. Quite a few of our members have stopped PT completely and relied on ADLs for recovery.

Please do keep us posted on the heel pain. I hope it resolves quickly.

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country

Shin splints, shin pain, compartment syndrome​

This thread is what I am finding is addressing the heel pain. How I love you guys. In following my new goal of common sense, I knew I had gone from 0 to 90 on walking and I am slowing down on walking with my cane, building up walking time, doing heel raises and the stretches this article has recommended. Sure enough...the heel pain is being greatly relieved. I'm sure there are some good PT folks out there..but I'm finding my answers here on this website and my own intuition. I do have an appointment with a podiatrist on Friday just to be extra safe. As @benne68 said...I'm going to ADL and stopping the PT. At this point, I will continue with the strengthening as I am familiar with the exercises needed and get on to living my life.

Last edited:

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well done @BlueSkiesHere ! Increasing activity very slowly and gradually works every time. Glad you are scaling back and finding a solution to the problem. Sometimes it just takes a bit of patience.

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
Update, folks. I don't feel like I've progressed much, but I guess there is progress. The shin splints are gone and the heel pain has so far been alleviated by much stretching and slowing down on how much I was walking. I am at 14 weeks tomorrow. I try not to compare myself to others because I am still far from walking with ease and at long distances. I am pretty much now without a cane (except on an excursion outside or to a store) but I definitely have a limp. Not too bad but my knee is still REALLY stiff. I did quit PT and have been doing pretty much ADL and I do one set of my strengthening exercises mid-morning and the rest is ADL. I find if I do more than one set (like in the afternoon) my knee cap hurts OR my inner knee or outer knee kinds of jumps with pain/ache. For whatever reason I am really slow to recover and as soon as I get in the mind set I need to just try harder...it sets me back. My flex is still around 115 or maybe 120. I don't know since I quit measuring and my extension is probably -2. I'm trying to focus more on building my walking time and walking without a limp more than anything. I do about 10 minutes now of stationary cycle and that has taken me quite a bit of time to build up to 10 minutes. I can do full cycle but my seat is set up a little higher than I normally do in the past. I'm trusting all will continue to "slowly" get better if I just do my best to stay out of the pain but progress. Walking is number one for me! I'm at 14 weeks! Good grief. This is taking FOREVER.

Last edited:

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
You may be “slower” than some others, but many of us are/were just like you at 14 weeks. This recovery takes an average of 52 weeks (one year) so you’re not really not slow at all. Try really hard to reset your expectations. :console2:

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I was just like you are when I was 3-4 months post op. Your ROM is great. Things will get better!

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
In my opinion, patience is the hardest part of this recovery. It just seems to drag on, doesn't it? Look back to where you were a few weeks ago, a month ago, and you'll see the progress you are making. Enjoy and celebrate each new accomplishment, no matter how small. Only someone who has gone through a knee replacement understands what you are going through. That's why it's so good to read and respond to others' posts. I was alone almost all the time during my recovery and if it hadn't been for Bonesmart and the friends I had made here, my depression would have soared. There are still two people that I am friends with and talk with almost daily that I met on this site!

OP
OP
B

BlueSkiesHere

Country
@sistersinhim i understand on the depression. I found you at a low point in my blues. Even if one has support around, I find they move on quicker with life than the one still recovering. And a very good point about looking at my own progress rather than where I am not. It IS better. So today I will readjust my expectations and count my blessings.

mtnplayva

Country
@BlueSkiesHere my recovery sounds a lot like yours. I am now at 17 weeks and still can't walk with a limp or for any distance. My knee feels like it's going to buckle with every step so I walk very slow. I only use the cane when walking distances or on uneven areas. I keep saying I am the snail of knee recoveries but at least my snail is still going forward! I keep a log of things improved - it helps me when I look back to see that I AM making progress - it's just really slow!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Wally07
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom