BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

PTFL Surgery- 2nd knee...feeling sad.

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by megange1, Jun 11, 2019.

1. megange1

megange1 new member

United States United States
    Hi-

I'm new this forum, but not new to knee surgery. I had a PTFL (posterior talofibular ligament) surgery 2 years ago and afterwards lost a ton of weight to try to ensure, I would not need to that surgery on my other knee. Well, it turns out it doesn't matter because my left knee has started to dislocate and they are suggesting I have the surgery.

I'm very upset because to be honest the PTFL recovery was one of the hardest things I've ever done and to be honest it really affected me emotionally. Not being able to walk and the amount of pain and work it took to be okay was overwhelming me.

To add fuel to the fire, my husband and I have been going through IVF for the past year and were just about to implant our first embryo but my doctor has suggested doing my knee before progressing with that. So after all this hard work, I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but now I need to start over.

Since I heard the news, I've been distraught. I'm trying to hide it from my husband because I know that this must be so stressful for him, as so much of the burden of helping me after surgery has fallen/will fall on him again. He says he's fine, but it all feels like so much.

My doctor said my first PTFL recovery was harder than most and he hopes this recovery will be easier. I guess I'm wondering if anyone found the second knee surgery easier at all or has any advice on how to "buck up" for this surgery?

Knowing what is coming has me terrified. Any help would be great...Thank you.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm really sorry to read you're in this situation. Having got so close to implantation of the embryo, it must be so disappointing for you. :console2: :friends:

Have you had a heart-to heart discussion with your knee surgeon and your IVF team? You need to know how bad your knee is and how long a recovery your surgeon estimates you will need, if you go ahead with the surgery.

Equally, I hope you can get your IVF team's perspective on the potential success of IVF, if you defer implantation of the embryo. You're probably well aware that the clock is ticking on that as well, but you certainly shouldn't have the knee surgery while you're pregnant.

Find out how your husband feels about this, and what his preferences are, so that whatever you both decide, you are in agreement.

How much help and family support will you have, if you go ahead with the embryo implant and it's successful? Would it be possible to have someone help with baby care if you postponed the knee surgery?

I'm not familiar with PTFL surgery, so I'm going to ask @Josephine for her input, since she has many years of experience in assisting with orthopaedic surgeries.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm so sorry you have to go through this right now when you had other plans. I agree with Celle that you should talk to your husband so you can both be on the same page, then talk to your doctors. I wish you the best, and am hoping for a speedy resolution for both situations.:console2:

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Actually I did but my surgeon changed his procedure a bit and included things like injecting a strong pain med into the back wall of the joint before he closed up the wound. It made a huge difference.
    That's just not doable, I'm afraid. Not in any way. Sorry.

As for the PTFL, that surely is painful surgery as most foot and hand surgery tends to be. But did you adhere to your routine of pain meds as prescribed throughout the recovery? That's a crucial part of it.

5. megange1

megange1 new member

Hi-

Thank you all so much for your advice. We've decided to proceed with the MPFL surgery next Thursday and to put IVF on hold for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping that somehow this surgery will go better. I had a very rough recovery with several things going wrong with my first surgery. First the pain blocker knicked a nerve and caused some numbness which made being able to feel my foot and walk again very difficult. I also somehow got a messed up "flexing" machine, so when I thought I was at a 90 degree flexation, I was actually at less than half of that. Long story short, my recovery took about twice as long as normal, and was by far my most painful surgery to recover from, and I've had back surgery, so that is saying a lot. I wasn't able to walk without crutches until almost 6 months after, so I'm just freaked out. Not being able to walk for that long caused me to really fall into a depression. Whenever I think of going through this again, I start to shake all over. My doctor assures me that the first time round was just an all around CF and that this WILL be easier, but once it is started, it is not like you can change your mind. I just thought I'd be gearing up for a new baby...not relearning to walk again... Now I'm being the baby. Thank you for all you support and kind words. I just want to do BETTER this time...