BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Ptarmigan Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ptarmigan, May 10, 2019.

1. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Ptarmigan - your rehab suite at home sounds lovely!! I am another one who used the left side of the bed when I had left hip replaced and now that it's my right hip? I use the right side of my bed. I also have a bed rail on that side of the bed which helps so much when getting out of the bed. As for height of bed? Are you able to push off with your good leg? I think that is the part that I would miss if it's too high.
    I still use the "leg lifter" and I just completed my 10th day post op and sometimes I am able to lift my new THR hip and leg right into the bed without aide and clear the pillows in place for elevation, which are stacked pretty high.

As I ruminate the pros and cons of a high bed- I'm thinking a low bed would be worse because it would encourage your leg to go into flexion and in the beginning days you'll find that flexion causes a pull on the sore quadriceps. I'm 5'8" for reference.. so that may skew my advice.. :tada:
    The best part of the PT staff helping when you are in the hospital is that they will work with you to find the best solution for you.
    Your surgery date will begin moving closer rather quickly now!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@CricketHip Thanks for the kind words! I think you’ve hit the nail on the head when you ask about the good leg push off. I’m going to give that a trial run.

@leejaa It’s nice to think about easier adaptations and I agree a slow slide/transfer of weight getting out of bed will be easier than standing up from a sitting position, so yay!

@Barbaraj and @julesglass So glad for this consistent advice to go ahead and practice everything in advance. It’s the best way to get ready physically and mentally and it helps the time pass productively. Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. CricketHip

Aww Ptarmigan, I remember... so well.. the waiting game and planning everything out in advance the first time. My husband would tease me that he thought I could have operated on myself by the time the surgery date arrived! Yes, he has a weird sense of humor!
    But I sure had a game plan and afterwards he was impressed at how prepared I was and I'm sure you will be the same way and will do just fine. Congrats on your weight loss, too! Very commendable with your limits with walking for exercise.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Ptarmigan,
    If you haven't already, check out mobility steps on Amazon. They seem to be about 3-4 inches high, sturdy looking and wide. Not attractive in the least, but wide enough that it looks safe and definitely wouldn't be tippy. Could be a temporary solution for you. Inexpensive also.

I hope you're having a nice holiday weekend. :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

I love it, @Ptarmigan, that you are so organized and thoughtful as you plan for recovery. I feel as if I really fell down in that regard. I spent my final days leading up to surgery in all kinds of ridiculous, completely unnecessary chores (like polishing display silver and organizing my underwear drawer). I just assumed that I'd do fine on some level and busywork of any kind kept me distracted from my anxiety (well, except for those terrifying 3:00 AM wake-up times) and, for the most part, I did great despite my total lack of planning and preparation. Well, I did continue to try to exercise as much as I could, and maintain my weight (the only two directives from my surgeon) so I wasn't a total slacker. But I love reading about all your careful assessments of your personal space, and making plans that will insure your recovery goes smoothly. Hurray for you--and you're now a little less than a month to go. Time is just pressing on, isn't it?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@Layla Great tip - thanks! I am doubly glad for this tip because the seat in my car is slightly too high as well, so it’s good to have an idea about options that may work, just in case I need a boost.

@Barbaraj Thanks so much for the kind words! As a mom of four, you might understand the experience that is pushing me to anticipate. Just after my daughter was born, I was staggering around in the literal dark, and realized it wasn’t metaphorical. I had memorized every word of “What to Expect When You’re Expecting,” and failed to read a single book about infant care. What was I thinking? In the end, labor and delivery played out without need for direction from me, ably assisted by professionals. Infant care, however, was exactly the opposite: trial and error, uncertainty and exhaustion, and an overwhelming desire to do it “right”. I promised myself I would get better at preparation :).

I understand that some parts of this experience will have to be sorted out in the moment. And I also know that some can be rehearsed now, so I can make mistakes when I am less woozy from drugs, less ouchy from surgery, and less worried about doing it wrong.

But as we all know, even the best laid plans can come undone. I have an appointment on Wednesday morning with my primary to evaluate some new symptoms that could delay surgery clearance. Fingers crossed all will go well.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oh, @Ptarmigan, I was both alike and unlike you when I had my first daughter. I probably had books on infant care that I'd been given, but I didn't read them either. However, I am the oldest of six children so I did a lot of diaper changing, feeding and babysitting. I didn't have any anxieties about childcare. Maybe I should have but they all turned out strong and healthy, babies are remarkably sturdy and adaptable, I discovered. The book I SHOULD have read cover to cover was "how to deal effectively with teenagers". That phase of life I was completely unprepared for, and it showed! Good luck with your Wednesday appointment, and here's hoping nothing will affect your surgery clearance.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  8. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Hope all goes well with your appt. and you can go ahead with your surgery and get rid of the pain and get on with life and plans for adventures in 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

The appointment today could not have gone better - which is an overwhelming relief.

I discovered a 2-inch lump on the inside of my right elbow last Friday. I worried that the best case scenario would delay surgery while tests were scheduled and results obtained (we won’t talk about the worst case, except to say there have been nightmares). I didn’t realize my doctor could safely rule the worrisome stuff out by carefully poking it and talking to me. But he could and did and hooray!

So, I’ve discovered something unexpected: the prospect of not being able to have the surgery is infinitely worse than the prospect of having it. Devastating, in fact. And knowing this is going to make these last few weeks so much more bearable. The last 5 days have been really tough, but they gave me the gift of perspective - for which I am so very grateful.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello @Ptarmigan
    I'm sorry you've been struggling with uncertainty over the past five days. I completely understand if you weren't interested in sharing. Please don't lose sight of the prayer warriors, well wishers, hand holders and good vibe senders here. Many live to lift others up.

I think most of us are wired to allow our minds to go to "the bad place". Thankfully you gained assurance that your fears were unfounded. Stressing over surgery is enough in itself. I guess the good is that the experience changed your outlook, leaving you less fearful. Actually, that IS a gift.
    Hugs and wishes for your comfort.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. CricketHip

Happy to hear that you received good news! Ahh, what we humans go through at times..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Whew, glad you got such reassuring news, @Ptarmigan. It is not unexpected that you'd feel the way you do, that while not looking forward to this surgery the thought of a postponement would have been much, much harder. Perspective can be a wonderful thing! The creep towards surgery continues!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@Layla I wish I knew why this is so hard for me. When I am the most frightened and vulnerable, I am the most reluctant to lean on others. And, yes, I do “lose sight” of the ones who “live to lift others up,”; it never occurs to me that if I hide, they’re prevented from doing what they come here to do. This group has exceptional lifter-uppers, none better...I can see that. In any case, I had planned to share the results of the visit today, good or bad - so very glad it’s good.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Wonderful news and also wonderful that you have more clarity as to your upcoming hip surgery and how important it is to you.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  16. enoughpain

enoughpain member

@Ptarmigan Breathing a huge sigh of relief for you. I can well imagine your dark thoughts about the potential outcomes for that lump.
    In my experience you are one of these lifter-uppers. The information, helpful tips and perspective you share have been invaluable to me. As they say "It takes a village" and I am glad that you are living in mine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

I never thought of it like that before, @enoughpain, but you are right--these Bonesmart forums of full of folks who support one another through the good and tough times--it truly is a village and nice for all of us, I think, to be living here for awhile. Plus, huge benefit in that we can whine and obsess to our heart's content and don't have to spend excessive time doing this with our significant others, many if not most of whom get a wee bit tired of this hip angst that can seem a bit over the top to them. Only those who are going through this truly understand how we're feeling and it's lovely to feel such support and compassion from others.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  18. enoughpain

enoughpain member

The closer I get to my surgery date, the more I find myself checking Bonesmart before I even open my email! I'm thrilled for you @Barbaraj that you have a new date. Since you are now 12 days ahead of me, I look forward to your guidance through the first stages of recovery.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

So happy you got reassurance from upper doctor and that all it is all systems go for your upcoming THR.
    Roll on August 5:egypdance:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

hee hee
    a bed roll. Remember those from camping?
    Long time ago i got a gym step for cardio. it has removable lego like blocks to make the step higher or lower
    Goes from 3 to 6 inches
    But takes practice to spin around on

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1