BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Ptarmigan Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ptarmigan, May 10, 2019.

1. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

United States United States
    @Barbaraj I hope I won’t spend more than a day. DD is staying over with me. She’ll shadow the PT/OT people, figure out how to spot me during the transfers, and get a sense for restrictions (if any). Once we get the safety precautions and pain meds dialed in, we’ll be out of there to get recovery started.

@mainegirl1 It is great to receive treatment at an assembly line! We learned this in 2010, when DH had his aortic valve replaced. The facility had been designed by doctors to optimize every aspect of cardiac surgery and recovery - we felt the confidence and expertise of everyone who provided care.

I wonder, too, what happens to surgery novices like your SIL who get so little in the way of support. How lucky she was to have family help! It sounds like you raised a good one :).

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My surgery center, excellent as it was, did not provide me with ice and I was too loopy to ask:unsure:
    It became my best friend the day I got home..a day and a half after surgery. As you say, small window of time with recovery.
    The pain meds , opiates, were a must for me.
    So happy you have her there to have your back (er, hip)

Great job, you should be proud.:yes:
    Arms and upper body strength helped me tremendously.:ok:

You will do great @Ptarmigan !
    The wait is the worst part.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

I didn't need ice at the hospital as I'm sure they were pumping me full of drugs which effectively dealt with the pain. And, again, you are in there for such a relatively brief period of time, and lots of that is taken up with activity that distracts you for the most part--or at least that was my experience. The time in the hospital is a jumbled blur at this point, so wonderful your daughter will be there to listen and support. My husband was there part of the day (I sent him home at night but he showed up the next morning, with a lovely Starbucks latte) so he got to see me go through my paces in terms of walking, climbing stairs, and suggested PT exercises for home. Once home, my husband took over as chief cook, bottlewasher and aide. In terms of spotting me, I mostly needed him for some help dressing and for the first day or two, until I figured it out, help getting in and out of bed. It will be whirlwind experience in the hospital, @Ptarmigan, and I predict, you'll be able to manage most physical tasks yourself after a day or two at home.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    It wont take you long to master the essential tasks-you'll see. The second day post op at the hospital I was alone going to the bathroom in the morning with bilateral. Boy did that boost my confidence. I went home not having done the stair thing because I wanted to leave. When the PT came here at home after her 2nd visit we did stairs and I found it easy though I lied and said medium. You have help as I did with hubby and all the at home professionals so you will do just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

My SIL did OK though we are far away she never wanted to share her experience with me.. I am afraid it was lonely as she was required to start PT the day after she came home and it had to be outpatient.. she had to get an Uber or a taxi.. Something I would not want to do that soon!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Last night, I forgot that I am on a short leash. I thought I could just run the garbage cans out to the curb, but no. The weighted deceleration at the bottom of the driveway crunched my hip and I am still paying for it. It’s unspeakably frustrating to be incapable of something so ordinary - taking the garbage out.

That said, I have been dismissed from prehab. The leg muscles and nerves are working, and working well, and I am holding on to the gains. I will do 1-2 check ins before surgery. So, that’s one more thing I have checked off my list.

And just under six weeks to go...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad you have decided to not push that bad hip, @Ptarmigan
    I know this hip is going to get you back to amazing!
    I know how this wait feels...very unnerving so take a break from all things hip if need be.
    Do pop in so we know you are!
    :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Yes, @Ptarmigan, I am sure all of us can relate to trying to do something that pre-hip madness we'd easily have done, not thinking twice about. But then we do something perfectly ordinary, that we feel we SHOULD be able to do and suddenly, we can't do it. I am sure your garbage can incident was frustrating and unnerving. My current inability to get up off the ground, while gardening, without looking like a crippled bag lady is truly humiliating to me. But, as I say to myself, and will remind you: it is what it is and it's going to get better! Congrats on being fired from prehab--I got fired from PT in May when they said there wasn't really anything more they could do for me with my rapidly deteriorating hip. They sent me home with a smile, and the reminder to faithfully keep doing the exercises they'd given me. I've tried to do that, even as certain of these exercises become harder and harder and too often produce muttered expletives as I attempt to bend or stretch a way my hip isn't happy about. I am right behind you in terms of my surgery date, so I know I, too, am cruising up onto the final runway for hip "departure". All on board, and away we'll go!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  9. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Oh, what an unexpectedly nice week I have coming up!

My DH discovered a gap between projects in our business and is taking the week off - I can’t remember the last time he’s been able to take a string of days off (the downside of owning your own business.)

DD has this week off from her “day job,” too - so we’ll have tons of time together as a family for an impromptu staycation. Makes my heart happy.

We’ll be working on the first floor refresh, of course part of that time. DD is putting in some serious sweat equity, and I appreciate her so much for doing it on her own initiative and with a great attitude. DH is patiently teaching her DIY fundamentals - great stuff for young adults - and she’s getting pretty handy. I love seeing this...

Still rooting on Team USA in the World Cup. The quality of the soccer has been thrilling to watch. Fingers crossed for Tuesday and England!

And...I did finally break through the weight loss plateau! My BMI is now 29 (which moves me from obese to overweight). I hoped to accomplish this before surgery, but I did it with 5 weeks to spare. I still have a ways to go (next goal: BMI 25), but it’s progress, and that’s great.

So...DH said he wanted me to pick an icing machine and buy it this week - start using it now for the swelling and pain I already have. I did, and it will be here this week - in time for his birthday. I am hoping my BoneSmart buddies will see what I have in mind here:

We have a loveseat recliner. I have a hip - he has a lower back (always sore when he gets home). The machine can circulate ice water through 2 pads at the same time. We’ll ice, watch TV, recline, and hold hands. Not everyone’s idea of romantic, I’m sure, but I know this companionship will please us both. So, I bought him the lumbar back pad and the y connector for his birthday - and now I’m actually pretty excited about this contraption.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Aww, in sickness and in health. Have fun icing it up together, lovebirds :loveshwr:
    Make some popcorn and watch "Frozen" together :heehee:
    Happy Sunday, have a good one!
    @Ptarmigan

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Slowly but surely you are getting things prepared for your upcoming surgery--congrats on meeting (exceeding your weight loss timeframe) and I hope you're feeling pretty darn proud of yourself. And you're going to get use from that icing machine, and sounds like your husband will as well--win/win for both of you! Very cool that you can use it together on your loveseat. Very nice arrangement! And sounds quite cozy and romantic to me.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

So... I just realized that my bed might be too tall for me to get into. I can’t sit down onto it because it comes all the way up to my bottom. With all the warnings about furniture being too low, it didn’t occur to me until just now that this might be a consideration. So...would steps be safe? Or have you all figured out another solution?

If it’s not one thing...

13. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning @Ptarmigan. I had never thought about that. I had a cup of coffee and rewound my memory 3 years back. My bed is a pillow mattress so is high also. I'm 5'7" and can't sit directly on it either. What I did was on the right side of my bed I did one movement to get operated side on first as I laid back into bed I lifted leg up, moved it over enough to get my good leg into bed. Then I moved my legs again in the same order. This time I have my bed set so I will use the left side of the bed for lefty to go in first. I'm already using my one movement now due to the pain. It works for me, try doing that and maybe it will work for you. Practice anything you'll need to know now to figure out how to move. It does help ease the stress. Even your walker to see what you might need to change, like being able to turn around in any room in your home.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. julesglass

julesglass graduate

It was a slow roll into bed. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

I agree with you, @julesglass, that sort of gently falling back as good leg (usually) gets up onto the bed, with the other leg following (early days my husband helped gently lift it onto the bed) was the way to go. And after a few days I felt stronger and getting in and out of bed didn't seem so difficult. But do practice, @Ptarmigan, so you find something that works. As I also vaguely recall, the OT at the hospital had some instruction before I was discharged about how to get in and out of bed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. julesglass

julesglass graduate

No not good leg first @Barbaraj. I rolled up into bed operated leg first so to balance with good leg still on on the floor. Then before good leg comes up shift body in farther then operated leg with good still off bed. Then good leg came up and adjust position for comfort with pillow between legs on my back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Try different ways to find the best for you. I did needed help first few times then good to go. Reverse getting out of bed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

@julesglass That's interesting--for me, it was good leg first followed by bad leg. But, at the end of the day, it's whatever works for the individual. As I said, I think they did give me some instruction in the hospital before discharge, although much of that time is blur at this point!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. julesglass

julesglass graduate

I agree it is a blur. Everyone figures it out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

My mattress is also a bit high but I feel it is an advantage when getting out of bed now with the bum hip and post op since I slide to the floor with my walker near me and a leg assist holder to move the operated or bum leg at same time. To get on now with my bum leg I flop back and bring my bad leg up with a leg lifter, scootch over and bring good leg up. Post op for left hip, I flopped back bringing my good leg up at same time, scootched over a tich and brought bad leg up with the leg lifter at same time. The whole time I kept hold of the leg lifter on the bad leg so I could support it and move it as needed. Give it a try now and see what works for you. Like I said, most nights now I use the leg lifter to get that bad leg into bed - anything to decrease pain spikes plus I figure it is good practice for when I am medicated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1