BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Ptarmigan Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ptarmigan, May 10, 2019.

1. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    This is a very positive improvement! I'm very happy for you!! :flwrysmile::happydance:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello and Happy Friday!
    Sounds like your joint class went well. I know I left mine feeling lighter and more confident.

I had to wear my own clothes in the surgery center also. They helped me dress before they wheeled me to my room. The clothes I brought to wear were the equivalent to PJs to me. Soft stretchy yoga pants with an elasticized waist and a comfy t-shirt. I was to be there for only 23 hrs so I slept in my clothes and wore them home. Easy peasy! :wink:

I'll bet you're getting excited to join us on the other side of the forum. Soon, Ptarmigan, very soon.
    I hope you have a pleasant weekend!
    @Ptarmigan

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

So nice to read, @Ptarmigan, that you found the joint class helpful and informative, a good start to this new lead up to surgery. I am still amazed that I never got anything like that. I feel my surgeries both went well, but other than the meeting with a preop nurse, which mostly involved her asking me a few questions and giving directions on the body wash and other instructions leading up to surgery (like no more supplements) there were no questions about my home environment (other than the question about who would be caring for me) or the helpful suggestion you got to take pictures in order for the discharge staff to personalize recommendations for you. This experience must be very encouraging for you, particularly given how awful your lead up to your canceled surgery.

I feel incredibly lucky that, for the most part, I didn't sleep too badly before either surgery. Sure, particularly with hip #1, which was the most arthritic and bone-on-bone arthritis, I would occasionally wake up when I twitched my hip in a particular way--ouch--but I was usually able to fall back to sleep quickly. I can't imagine how hard it is to never get adequate sleep, especially right before surgery. Sure, post surgery (brace yourself, although probably no big surprise) can be tough but at least you've got drugs you can take which will help with sleep. Anyway, try anything you can to get a little sleep, and definitely take naps if you're able to do so.

It's Friday, our Hawks won last night (I went to bed but husband stayed up to watch the game on TV) so all's right here in our world, right? Cheers, and happy Friday.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Thanks @Ptarmigan for the info. I got a book years ago on vitamins and minerals about how certain amounts benefit the body. It gave alot of good info about how to help the body during mental stress and overall health. I'm going check out this book of yours. If I can do some changes to take care the overall OA pain then I would feel more confident about getting off meloxicam. You have a good day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

@Ptarmigan all hospitals ought to have the same procedure as your current one does. Mine does too. It boggles my mind that this is not universal.
    I know I will be spending the afternoon post op in the "gym" at the hospital. They have a mock car and stairs and of course bed getting into and out of training.. And I won't be released till I pass.. There is walking too and heel to toe lessons..
    Yes it does make you feel better when you know your responsibilities and have the resources to do what you need to do.. It was made clear to me that some of pain management is automatic but other than Tylenol if I need stronger I have to ask for it and told not to wait too long!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Calgal

Calgal senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :yikes: yikes! Ask ask ask! I hope that means they will automatically give you something stronger plus tylenol. I can't even imagine early post-op days without my oramorph and then codeine for home. Paracetamol (UK tylenol) is great but I sailed through with NO pain with the help of short term stronger stuff. Don't feel like you're being a wimp asking for it. Read a few recovery threads where they didn't have pain well controlled at first and you will have a good idea how to manage your own recovery.

Good luck! :thumb:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Calgal

Calgal senior

What a fabulous care team! I had a good joint class too but yours sounds even better. I like the idea of practicing certain moves before op. Those special moves are essential and will be clumsier with a big ol' log leg, so getting the right form now will surely pay off. It's getting close! Not long now. One thing that I wish I had used more way before op when I was suffering with OA is those reacher grabber tools. I intend on continuing to use them for things like reaching into washing machine to get out clothes, and reaching into corners of my greenhouse when I drop little clips and bits!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Ptarmigan that sounds like a fantastic class and what a great idea of taking pictures so they can gear towards the individual.

It really is crazy how there is no set standard for anything when it comes to this whole journey. So happy you seem to have a great team in place this time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

A small, but oh so welcome victory, yesterday, as I found my pair of aspirational “skinny jeans” in the closet - forgot they were even there! - and they fit! I am down more than two sizes since April! Wore them out to brunch with DH and DD and felt 10 years younger!

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  10. CricketHip

Wonderful update! Just think how much younger you shall feel when your hip is fixed and healed!
    What a nice victory! So, what did you have at your brunch?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Congrats Ptarmigan!
    That's wonderful and a good feeling in the midst of dealing with physical pain and an upcoming surgery.
    Such a great accomplishment. I'm happy for you. :yay:
    Have a peaceful Sunday! :wave:
    @Ptarmigan

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Calgal

Calgal senior

Well done! :wowspring:Not discounting the psychological boost, your hips will thank you after the op. It's quite a feat to lose any weight at all when your hips are deteriorating, so yippee to the future hippee! :yes!:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oooh, skinny jeans--very exciting, @Ptarmigan. I think I could fit into mine now that the hideous swelling has gone down in my left thigh, but with incision soreness still an issue, I think I'll be schlepping around in more generously fitting pants for a while longer. But, I do remember from last time how exciting it was to finally be able to wear those jeans comfortably again. So, enjoy your skinny self and stride along confidently as you wait for surgery. It's the small victories that are so meaningful these days, so enjoy 'em.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Ptarmigan that is great, keep up the good work! Your hips will thank you as well after surgery. It is possible to maintain it after surgery as well. I've actually lost a few pounds since surgery and having an ice cream treat here and there. Think since I'm not working I'm not stress eating.

Enjoy your skinny jeans while you can as you'll temporarily be wearing soft and stretchy after surgery. I haven't really worn jeans or anything that structured yet, still pretty much t-shirts and leggings/shorts. Of course that's usually what I wear around the house.

You are really rocking this!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

I know you’re all right - the jeans will go back into the aspirational drawer for some time after surgery. It’s just very nice to get to this milestone and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment before I am too ouchy to see if they fit :). And I am glad to hear, @Elf1 , that once I shed the water weight after surgery, I may be able to keep losing. I’m just about half way to my goal overall, and really hoping surgery doesn’t prove to be too much of a setback.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

I don't think your surgery will be a setback to weight loss, @Ptarmigan. I found after both surgeries that my appetite was toast for about a week, but after that I did want to eat well to keep my strength up. I don't need to lose weight, but I sure wasn't interested in packing the pounds on from all those ice cream bars I managed to wolf down (on a hot day, nothing like 'em) in early recovery. I think by the end of week two, when I felt confident enough to stand independently on our bathroom scale, I dragged it out to see what "damage" I'd done. I don't have a specific target weight for myself, just a "happy weight range" and if I'm within that, I'm fine. Okay, I was at the upper end of that range the other day so I am trying not to overdo things, but last time I didn't pack on the pounds either and once I was able to start being fully and confidently mobile I settled nicely back into a more active lifestyle and more deliberate eating patterns. You have been so good about your eating, and clearly it's paid off. I think once the early recovery is over you'll once again settle back into the good patterns and habits you've established thus far and with the added benefit of being more active, you'll continue to see steady and welcome weight loss towards your goal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

How are you doing these days, @Ptarmigan? I am sure to some extent it feels as if you're still in a holding round, circling the big airport and waiting for the big day to come. But I hope that you're still able to do a few things with reasonable comfort so that the time isn't dragging too badly. These last few weeks before surgery seem to drag (well, they did for me anyway although when surgery arrived it seemed startlingly fast) but you've been so good about doing the necessary things to prepare that I can't imagine what you might have left to do, especially when you were ready to go the first time until the sensible cancelation occurred. I hope you are able to get out and enjoy some PNW sunshine today, it's going to be a warm one! Cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  18. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Hi @Barbaraj !

Doing pretty well, I would say. Had my pre-op physical with my PCP, who updated my status officially from obese to overweight (BMI 29) - we were both delighted to see me reach that milestone.

Also of interest to other BoneSmarties: he’s very pro icing machines and pointed out to me that with the tissue depth between the ice and the hip joint, extended icing times are required in order to accomplish anything, and to feel free to ice as much as I wanted - especially because the machines prevent any risk of frostbite.

I have been icing and elevating most days, and it’s been the best solution for preop pain and swelling I’ve found. Just this week, I realized my “other” hip and SI joint weren’t completely happy campers either - so I started icing them, too. It’s time consuming and I have to stay put, but it’s paid off and I am moving better when I am up and about.

Friday, I go in to PT for a preop assessment - strength, range of motion, etc. I will take my walker and cane along and hope for coaching/practice. Then next week, I meet the surgeon. Onward!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. CricketHip

It all sounds good, Ptarmigan!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Steelmanpa

Steelmanpa new member

Great news.. I also recently had my BMI get into that range...its so encouraging to get good news!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1