BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Ptarmigan Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ptarmigan, May 10, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Wow! Now that's exciting news and I'll bet a welcome surprise. Only one month to wait.
    Hopefully you find the surgeon to be a perfect match and you can get this over with and move forward.
    Fingers crossed for a successful appointment on August 27th. Wishing you comfort as you wait.
    @Ptarmigan

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:yes!:Great to hear you dont have very long...hope you have a great weekend @Ptarmigan :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. linette333

linette333 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. julesglass

julesglass graduate

The greatest news to hear!!:yay: High fives all around. :friends: You are showing your bright colors and determination, go girl! :yes!:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

So many heart-warming cheers of support and all are appreciated!

This was a hard decision to make, as I know you know. Self-doubt, the desire to be a “good” patient, wanting to just get on with it, pain and exhaustion that need to end...all whisper in your ear and say “Close your eyes, cross your fingers, and get it over with.” But the tummy knows what the tummy knows, and my tummy said “Don’t do this. There’s a better way.”

I think maybe I found it.

It’s a beautiful weekend here. Hope you all are having one, too.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

I hope you are starting your weekend out right, @Ptarmigan, as I agree--it's a beautiful day here in the PNW and, as I recall, at your daughter's urging you were going to try to focus more on bringing back the fun. Today would be an ideal day for that, I'd think. I think in addition to fun, the peace and calm that must now be in place, despite the ongoing ache of a bad hip, mean that your head is in a good place with so much less stress and anxiety that you'll be ready to get out and enjoy a fun day. Have a great Saturday!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@Barbaraj Last night we went to Luther Burbank Park to catch another performance of Romeo and Juliet. It was so lovely! Picnic dinner, and - believe it or not - a folding recliner chair for me from back in the soccer tournament days :). DD has been working 7 days a week since mid-June (the play + teaching summer school) while fighting off bronchitis. DH has been doing double duty at home with the two of us alternately hacking and gimping - and simultaneously trying to nail down some promising new projects for the business - this week he had some 4:00am bedtimes after long stretches doing design work at the computer. Everyone’s still asleep - deservedly so - my nanny cat is right by my feet - and It might be noon before those two awake, which would be wonderful. Then what? Any simple pleasure together will suffice, really! It’s a great day.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Love that above...plain and simple.

You seem to be in a delightful mood. I'll bet it feels refreshing after the events of the last few days.
    A great weekend to you and yours!
    @Ptarmigan

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Ptarmigan, here's to a beautiful day in the PNW! I can appreciate how nice it felt to have some time to yourself as the other residents of your house got in some much needed sleeping in time. I love being in my house in early morning when I'm the only one here. I'll park myself in a chair (with an icepack these days) near the picture window overlooking our back yard and garden, and watch the sun start to creep across and brighten the day. I hope folks woke up around noon, and felt rested and more comfortable, and that your family was able to do something fun together. It was such a nice weekend, too.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Oh yes, getting up before the neighborhood crawl out of bed. My best time was before my kids got up, just to enjoy the stillness of the moment.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

Good for you @Ptarmigan! Things happen for a reason- wishing you the best as your continue your journey!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Happy hump day, @Ptarmigan It's a cooler, cloudier start to the day here in the PNW but I have to say I'm lovin' it! I will head out shortly--driving for the first time since surgery, wahoo--and do some solo laps around the library park. I hope you are managing okay. I know the delay is difficult but will absolutely be worth it in the end for your peace of mind and confidence. Still, I know you were in a lot of discomfort and I hope you are finding ways to deal with that until your surgery can be rescheduled. We're chugging through August with your consultation at the end of the month, and with September will come a new date for surgery. Hang in there.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Thanks for the lovely note of encouragement @Barbaraj ! I have lots of good things to report:) .

Besides the play, we saw Yesterday over the weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it, and decided The Lion King is next. The theater has recliner seats, so we tried to figure out if I will be ready for Downton Abbey - ice pack on hip, of course! Tomorrow is Blue Thursday, so I will be donning my #12 jersey and preparing to root for the hometown heroes. In fact, I get to wear my jersey to joint replacement class at Overlake tomorrow (new surgeon, new hospital), and this makes me smile.

My hip is getting crankier, which is a necessary reminder that yes, I really do need this surgery! Sleep is as elusive as ever, and I am hoping to pull a rabbit out of that hat somehow. There has to be something I haven’t tried that will help. It would be such a plus to repay some of this sleep debt before the Big Day. The scale keeps moving, oh-so-slowly, but thankfully in the right direction. I am gradually assembling post-surgery aids, some of which I am using now with appreciation - who knew icing was better than chocolate? Not me :heehee: !

Silver linings are everywhere around me just now, and I am certain this delay was for the best. It makes me very confident about what is to come.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Yes, Ice is better than chocolate when you gotta sit on it. At least it doesn't stain the bedding.:rotfl: I know.... my ice bag leaked all over my bed!!! :snork: glad it wasn't chocolate.

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@julesglass :loll:

I was sorry to read about the leak...and the bedding...and the broken laundry machine (washer? Or was it dryer? Because that would just be TOO MUCH) , but now I am not a bit sorry because you’ve got me chuckling away ...

Thank you so much. It is all good, just like you say!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Yeah like Frank Sinatra sang.... "That's Life....." :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  17. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning @Ptarmigan. I was up late doing some reading on supplements to replace the meloxicam I'm now taking. I wanted to ask you for a website that would be helpful that is maybe not a supplier selling their supplements. I would like to have something more natural to help with the overall pain of OA.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@julesglass My primary care doctor got me interested in anti-inflammatory diets, and then two of my friends (one a doctor, one a nurse) recommended To Quiet Inflammation, or TQI for short, which is a method for eating in an anti-inflammatory way. TQI has been a great help to me. It also syncs up with what Poppet has to say in the nutrition articles in the Library here (those are definitely worth a look). I got my copy of the book from Amazon - it’s a little spendy - but worth it. I have learned from experience that food can make a dramatic difference in health (or the opposite) so I always recommend TQI to anyone who is interested in reducing the overall inflammatory load on their body.

About six years ago, I needed to consult an “integrative” doctor (combination naturopathic and allopathic) for a chronic sinus infection that was fungal. She ran tests that my usual primary hadn’t ever, and recommended supplements based on those tests - and she was very particular about the brands she suggested, relying on ones she knew had reliable quality control and testing. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to her for the same kind of advice again. So, that might be a way for you to go, too.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  19. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Ptarmigan good luck at the joint class today, hopefully they give you some good info and you come away with a good feeling for these new folks!
    :fingersx:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@Elf1 Joint class went very very well! There was a lots of information presented, as the session was co-moderated by a bedside nurse and a PT who are current members of the care team.

PT demonstrated how to use the aids, encouraged us to practice in advance, and demonstrated correct fit. She made a fantastic suggestion to take photos at home, standing next to my bed, my car seat, the toilet, bathrooms, stairs, exterior approach to the house, etc. and bring them to the hospital. That way, PT can customize coaching to my circumstances. The nurse conveyed equally helpful insight into their attitudes and practices. They assign specific responsibilities to our “coach”, and coaches get a checklist of things to do, too. We wear our own clothes because we’re injured, not ill. We order our own food like room service, with protein smoothie options if appetites are small. The take home book has simple exercises to prepare for post-surgery movements; she pointed out that building muscle memory now will make things so much easier later, and coached us to start practicing the changes from sitting to standing and/or lying down.

There was a lot more, of course, but this is a representative sample. I left feeling like this was a much better fit for me - proactive, positive, detail-oriented, and very empowering for the patient and family. It’s clear that the hospital stay will be anything but restful, but it will equip me with the tools and resources I need to recuperate well at home.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019