BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Ptarmigan Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ptarmigan, May 10, 2019.

1. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

United States United States
    Just was dropping by to wish you good luck in your month and saw all the posts.
    I am so sorry you are going through this.
    I can tell you as a nurse myself, the more at peace and confident YOU feel going for a surgery the better your outcome.
    You obviously are not at ease with the situation so going with your gut on this is the only way.
    My experience with my ortho and all his
    Staff is the opposite of what you describe and my expectations are realistic given my profession and experience.
    God bless you as you search for your answers and may you be somehow spared worsening pain as you straighten everything out!:friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  2. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@ahipgma Thank you so much for your professional feedback. You addressed two underlying questions in the back of my mind: would this confidence-shattering experience undermine my potential surgery results and were my expectations realistic? It’s quite difficult, as I am sure you realize, to make a decision to cancel - certainly no one wants to delay recovery! It’s so comforting to hear, from someone in a position to know, that I have chosen to delay for good reasons.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. VSlowLife

VSlowLife junior member

Hi Ptarmigan,
    I was just checking in on you because I know your surgery was scheduled for next week. It looks like you cancelled, and for very good reasons. If there is one thing life has taught me, red flags are not to be ignored.
    I am hoping you will find a surgeon who is more respectful and someone who does the procedure for your hip at least 50 times a year. I am a surgeon veteran of 8 procedures, and from what I have read and fortunately experienced, is that in each scenario there is a professional standard for better outcomes based on annual performance totals of a procedure, for each surgeon.
    Medicare has a site that also ranks hospitals and surgeons who accept, at least in part, Medicare. You can see where a surgeon for hips stands, based on Medicare readmissions for that procedure. If anyone else can add to my explanation, please do.
    The results may be from 2015 or 2016, but that is enough to be able to make some judgements. Doctors’ skill sets are pretty consistent over time.
    Also, if a hip surgeon is a reconstruction/revisionist, they may have slightly higher rates for readmission, due to the difficulty of the cases they are willing to do, which does not reflect poorly on their skills, so keep that in mind. Some surgeons are very mindful of how they are rated, and will not accept high risk cases. They know the limits of their particular skills sets, with the surgical approach they use. And that is a good thing for patients.
    I hope someone here can provide you with a link.
    So sorry you have to wait longer for your surgery.

Sending you a virtual hug.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@Ptarmigan :holysheep:Was coming in to wish you a comfortable weekend before your surgery. Well at least you will be comfortable that you cancelled the surgery. Your thread was quite informative as I read back through to see exactly why you cancelled. Hope it all works out with a different OS....♥️

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Consult with new surgeon scheduled September 6th! Fingers crossed for a surgery date late Sept-mid Oct!

• Like Like x 3
  6. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That sounds very hopeful! I am so glad there are other good surgeons/options for you! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good Evening @Ptarmigan
    That is fantastic news. I'm happy to hear it. Hopefully this month flies by and your pain is mostly tolerable.
    With any luck you'll find a match in this surgeon and feel comfortable with all so you're finally able to move forward. It's so unfortunate that you have to deal with this but it does seem canceling was the best choice given the circumstances. Thankfully you have a supportive family who's on board with your decision.
    I hope you're able to have a relaxing weekend!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@Layla - Tuesday was a very difficult day, but I found myself united with my family, my PCP, and Kaiser top management. Kaiser seriously disappointed on the 8/5 plan, but they’ve been over performing to make it right. Not only have they expedited my access to care in a different location, with a surgeon hand-picked by my PCP, but they have also invited me to debrief top management about my experience, and are welcoming my feedback as a patient advocate. I welcome the opportunity to contribute - hopefully other patients will benefit. Because my experience with Kaiser is not limited to this one department, and I have had very good experiences, too, it’s easier for me to reestablish trust than it would be in a PPO environment. @Jamie

Pain is manageable - the warm weather helps. I have begun using my icing machine, and that’s heavenly. DD pointed out I’ve been shortchanging myself on fun - so we’re considering a more active schedule of anti-hip maneuvers. I think it’s going to be a lovely weekend.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I'm very glad to hear you're having this good experience with your HMO. Their willingness to help you is a huge plus going forward. You can be pretty sure that someone in their management is greasing the skids for you. Management won't want a repeat performance of your last experience. Good for you for making the right decision and then being assertive as followup.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

Hooray! It sounds like you are a force to be reckoned with and listened too and I am glad they are enlisting your views. You know how to git 'er done!

I do think your bird ought to be an eagle.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Awesome job getting the HMO to listen and assist you to a different surgeon quickly. I always judge a doctor by his office staff and their attention to detail and service. I also judge the physician the same way - expectations of being listened to and explained things are important for care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oh, @Ptarmigan, given all that you've gone through, how wonderful to read that you've got a new consultation date with a new surgeon and surgery, I hope, scheduled as soon as possible after that. And glad to read that Kaiser is taking your concerns seriously, not only by helping to facilitate your referral to another surgeon/facility, but also being willing to have top management hear your story with a goal, I hope, of improving the experience for others going forward. So, while this has been a complete debacle for you, I hope you realize that you will make the experience for other suffering hipsters in the future go much more smoothly. You should be very, very proud of yourself!

And glad icing machine is helping, no reason it can't be used before surgery as well as after. And I'm with your DD, let's find some fun activities for you. I am sure this whole experience has been so emotionally draining for you, that putting a bit of fun back in your life, whatever that looks like, is long overdue. It's a cool start to the day in our neck of the woods, but I think this afternoon the sun will be out and it's supposed to be a glorious weekend--so enjoy!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  13. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Ptarmigan I'm so glad that things are starting to go in the right direction and that Kaiser is listening to you. That's fantastic that they are assisting with getting you a good surgeon and hopefully a new date very quickly! Hoping it's much smoother sailing from here on out.

Have a great weekend, you surely deserve it!
    :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Drum roll, please...

My new surgery date is September 3! I have my consultation with the surgeon on the 27th. A cancellation happened - and I was “somehow” at the very top of the list :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

A thousand likes! I am so happy for you, that is wonderful news!
    :happydance::yes!::flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Whoo hoo! Sometimes the moon and stars align and things come together like they should. Here's hoping that you absolutely adore this new surgeon.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

How wonderful that you wait will not be too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. gertie

gertie post-grad

Yay! So glad this is working out this way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. VSlowLife

VSlowLife junior member

Hi Ptarmigan,
    I am so happy that it has all worked out for you! That was quick!
    Whether we realize it or not, our results here in this online space, are a form of marketing, as well as being supportive and informational. Smart companies care about that.They want good reviews. Healthcare is a competitive market.
    I am looking forward to your excellent outcome. Glad the ice machine gives you more comfort. And by the way, your daughter sounds like a gem!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  20. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Congratulations @Ptarmigan ! Good for you, that's not too long of a wait and I hope you and this new surgeon are a good fit.. its good to see how quickly Kaiser and your PCP stepped up to have your back.
    Now, I wonder what fun things you can figure out to do? :bicycle2: Ok, within reason! :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 3