Hinged Joint PT hates me

all l know is that l had no pain or discomfort until l started very minimal PT 4 weeks ago to strengthen the muscles only . Since starting that it hurts to bend and makes horrible crunchy noises that l can feel when l put my hand o
This is why I will not go to formal PT if I ever do another replacement. You were coming along fine until this group added their exercises.

Crunchy noises are common, though, but it’s interesting it wasn’t happening before.
Clicking/Clunking after TKR

and the last one PT gave me was a semi- squat l that l am unable to do correctly because it hurts my knee
Squats are not the best exercise this early in recovery because they put a lot of strain on a young, healing knee. It is not necessary to do any exercise that hurts.

The PT seems to want me to do step foot over foot , and l always do one foot at a time . l worry so about falling , don't know why it's so important to do stairs foot over foot . l haven't done it that way since before my original TKR in 2018 , because l didn't feel stable . l don't need to do many stairs anyway .
It’s early in recovery and stairs foot over foot will most likely improve as you continue to heal. It‘s your decision when to do them foot over foot.

I have one more scheduled appointment with this PT after tomorrow , unsure if l should continue . lt's a 1 hour drive for me one way , is why l go only every other week .
I would think you will do fine on your own, after this next appointment.

when l went to get out of the car a sharp pain in my lower back , took my breath away .
You did something that triggered this pain. Maybe you are just a bit “weak” due to having major surgery less than 3 months ago, and handling those bags was just a bit too much. Maybe ask your PT for some massage tomorrow, and take it easy for a while to let it settle down. :console2:

l am off to the PT in a few minutes . l hurt all over , not sure what l will do there . PT usually goes thru the exercises l was given to do at home and then adds a couple of more to it . l was to do the recumbent bike 10 minutes a day , ok , but l was unable to do the squats l was to do , that made my knee hurt . Then there is the back pain that started yesterday . lts better today . But i haven't done any exercise today at all . l drove my hubby to another Dr appointment and then went shopping until he was done , so kind of used up all my energy for today . l had fun shopping , though !

l had fun shopping , though
Well done, and guess what, that is what I call natural PT. :yes!:

PT is not just a list of reps of exercises. It’s giving your knee appropriate mobility, which you did while shopping (and doing any other daily activity) Enjoying it was good for your morale. :flwrysmile:

l actually hobbled into PT today. The back pain l got the other day sure did a number on me. lt doesn't really hurt now, just a little sore, but l worry it will come back, like the other day. The PT noticed how l was hobbling and asked what was going on. He still wants me to do stairs foot over foot,l l told him l wasn't comfortable doing that. l do well with the recumbent bike and he said l can do as long as l want which is good. l got my flu shot and covid booster today at Costco. My Dr office told me that they didn't even have the new covid booster and only offered the flu shot on Saturday! What's up with that?

you can get a fairly good MRI if they use a specific type called "metal sparing MRI " l had it done twice and it works . Not all facilities have the capability , l had to go to a different hospital . The first MRI showed a tear in the muscle after a fall 4 weeks after the TKR , l had to go back to surgery for fixing . The second time it identified a sinus track infection in the joint that was only showing up as a sore below my knee cap . They do work !
@LaJudes Thanks for posting this! I'm curious about the sinus track infection. What symptoms did you have to prompt the second MRI?

@2chains I moved your post, above, over to LaJudes thread since your question is for her.

you can get a fairly good MRI if they use a specific type called "metal sparing MRI " l had it done twice and it works . Not all facilities have the capability , l had to go to a different hospital . The first MRI showed a tear in the muscle after a fall 4 weeks after the TKR , l had to go back to surgery for fixing . The second time it identified a sinus track infection in the joint that was only showing up as a sore below my knee cap . They do work !
@LaJudes Thanks for posting this! I'm curious about the sinus track infection. What symptoms did you have to prompt the second MRI?
l developed a sore just below my knee cap area . Antibiotic treatment made it go away , but it kept returning and finally bulged out and started draining .

I would like to suggest that when anyone wants to reply to a post, rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box and type your reply. No need to quote if you are replying to the post directly above your reply. You can also mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:

hi all ! l think i am doing fine , then trying to do extra stuff , example , yesterday l moved a bunch of furniture around i my basement ! Mostly moving boxes out of the way and sliding a bookshelf and a seating bench to aluther room . l did also move some heavier boxes upstairs . Now tonight ,l can't sleep . Legs hurt so bad , both of them . l am over 3 months out from my last surgery , geepers , l di think l over did it . Why do both my legs ache , never had this before !

@LaJudes I think you have answered your own question. Moving furniture and lifting boxes is not something you knee is ready to do. You legs are aching due to this extra activity.

Three months out from a revision is not long at all. You need to ease into any activity and perhaps ask for help.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Why do both my legs ache , never had this before !
Both legs hurt because you are recovering from major surgery and the energy drain is working overtime. :console2:

Did you at least accomplish what you needed to do? I hope so!

l think my PT hates me! l started a PT schedule One day every other week to strengthen the muscles of my revision surgery done on June 28. l have a hinged knee replacement so it bends easily, but through the infection and 3 surgeries, and being in a leg immobilized for over 3 months, l thought some strength exercises would be helpful. My first appointment went well, the second l was very late due to getting lost in a detour, my third appointment l drove myself (hubby drove the first 2 times incl when we got lost in the detour) and l missed the turn to the hospital so was late again. l read the notes from that visit and PT suspects dementia since l was late twice and he said l didn't do a home exercise as directed. On my fourth visit, l was 20 minutes early but didn't get called back until 10 minutes past my appointment time. He put in his notes that l was 10 minutes late. On my last visit, he noted that l tired easily and required to sit down and rest, which is not true. Then he put that l failed to meet 2 goals l was given when l first went to him. One was raising my leg up and slowly putting it down, l demonstrated this for him, and he said "goal not met"??? Then he says that l continue to have difficulty with the home exercises, NOT true, l told him they were going well. I don't know what to think, except he decided that l have dementia and keeps putting negative stuff in my report to make me look like he was right! Sad, because these reports go to the surgeon and l wonder what he thinks! l told PT that next week will be my last appointment. He put in the notes that l was discharging myself after the next appointment.

Good for you. PT isn't necessary anyway, home exercise is all you need. And not much of that, really.

Wow, just wow! I think this PT missed his calling, he needs a different job.

You will be fine rehabbing on your own.

Next time you see your surgeon you can tell him/her about this negative experience, and demonstrate how well you really are doing.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

@LaJudes ... what you've documented here is inexcusable! You are doing the right thing by leaving this therapist. If you want help with strengthening exercises, just find another one who is easier to work with (and more honest).

You do need to provide feedback to your surgeon about this experience. He needs to know that PT is sub-standard. And, if you feel like it, it would be good to schedule a meeting with the owner/manager of the clinic to show them exactly what was written and how incorrect the reports are. Without this feedback, the therapist doesn't get an opportunity to improve and do a better job with his patients.

I'm so sorry you had this experience. There are good and helpful therapists out there.

That type of behavior by anyone is not acceptable. That PT has no business giving you a label of dementia. This upsets me to no end. You need to follow the advice Jamie gave you. Contact the PT's supervisor and have a discussion. Have a discussion with your surgeon and the scheduling nurse whom schedules PT at this facility. That isn't acceptable. The PT is concerned about your knee rehab and the notes should reflect that and nothing more.

Now you can rehab on your own and clearly your physician is pleased with your progress. I'm sorry you've gone through this, but please do report it or that behavior on the PT's part will continue.

Well , l will be seeing the PT for the last time on Thursday . He had added to my exercise program to increase the resistance on the bike , elliptical and the weights l put on my leg when l do the leg lifts . lncreased the leg weight from 2 1/2 lbs to 5# .Lifted it just fine for exercise , however later that night l got a terrible charlie horse , if you have ever been one , it excruciating pain . The next day l did the same exercise with the 5# weight . Same thing that night , a big charlie horse again . So went back to the lighter weight and no problem ! Wonder how to tell the PT about it ? l a, sure he will write it up as another failure . Funny thing , l really think his exercises and other ideas have been helpful for me , and l have told him so . He just doesn't seem to understand that l am 76 years old and won't be running any marathons , just want to get around comfortably .

So went back to the lighter weight and no problem !
Listen to your body. Only you know how it feels. Your PT does not -- and cannot -- know what your knee and leg are experiencing.

He just doesn't seem to understand that l am 76 years old and won't be running any marathons , just want to get around comfortably .
This is a widespread problem with many PTs. They take a "training approach" rather than a "recovery approach" because they aren't trained to deal with joint replacement patients.

Just remember: you haven't failed at anything! It's your knee and your recovery. Not his. :flwrysmile:

Just remember: you haven't failed at anything! It's your knee and your recovery. Not his. :flwrysmile:
I agree! There are many varying opinions about this recovery and “rehab” between our entire medical teams. Which means, you are entitled to have an opinion, also, and recover the way your common sense tells you to.

Saw my PT for the last time yesterday . l tried to brag him up a little by telling him that the exercises and tips he gave me were very helpful (they were) , and i felt that my leg muscles have improved greatly , l asked for advice on going to my trip to Branson in a couple weeks as well as any other information he could give me about caring for the hinged knee . He gave me a decent review on the my chart , so l am good with that . He did mention that l asked for advice on managing my upcoming trip to Branson ! l am more than happy with the outcome , but do think the PT treats all patients the same regardless of the age ! At 76 l don't have goals like a 50-60 year old would have ! l was able to fill out a review and left the info in the "how can we do better " section . A 75+ year old doesn't need to be able to run a marathon , just do everyday things comfortably . Hopefully they will read that !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back