Bilateral THR PT before and after THR

OP
OP
Zoebichon

Zoebichon

Country
United States United States
Yes, the waiting is horrible! However, the worst was waiting, since November, just for the surgery date.
Once I received my date, I have been much more motivated to get my whole house in order!
I have long since aquired all of my assistive devices. I'm just getting the last minute things like prunes! Hahaha!

My hips have been deteriorating very slowly since I was first diagnosed with OA at age 49. But since my OS approved my THR, I feel like they have been given permission to decline rapidly.

Also, yes, I have read all of the bilateral stories. I am pretty obsessed with reading the recovery stories.

I just finished reading cheermom, back in 2018, and her seemingly incredible recovery. Going from an out of shape, overweight 60 something to an in shape, back to work and all activities by week three! I am in total awe at all of the responses @Layla gave to cheermom!

Eman85

supremo
Country
You sound like you like being prepared. Strat practicing using your assistive devices now like you have had the operation. It's good to know how some of the stuff works for you beforehand.

OP
OP
Zoebichon

Zoebichon

Country
Good idea, EMAN! Most are still in the box!

Although I have been using the sock aid for months.

And we put couch risers on already, too.

Wyn wombat

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Best of luck with your surgery, had mine done 20th May last year and I can honestly say there are days when I completely forget that I had BTHR I am 80% back to normal, you will be fine.

hhhooray

Country
I have long since aquired all of my assistive devices. I'm just getting the last minute things like prunes! Hahaha!
Funny... prunes are the one thing I didn't have... but needed.

Good luck on the surgery. It's definitely uncomfortable for a bit after but way better than the pain you're experiencing now.

MAGsTKR

Country
Hmmm... I had a right TKR last September and this required tons of difficult (with discomfort) ROM work. BTW I am super fit. Prior to surgery I worked out 3x a week with a trainer, rode elliptical 3 times a week, and biked 10 miles daily. Post TKR I did exercises and walked for 3 months before I could do elliptical and workout with my trainer. Now 7.5 months post op my knee is about 90% back to "normal". I am doing all the things I did pre op.

Fast forward... Because of the right knee my right hip is impacted so I'm having a right posterior THR May 10 (in 2 days). It appears the post op recovery is very different from a TKR. ROM is not really an issue (compared to TKR) for a ball and socket joint (per my OS). My OS just wants me to do the prescribed exercises and walk. He stresses not to push like I did with my knee because irritating the hip joint impedes recovery. What I understand because of the posterior approach and potential for dislocation I need to wait about 3 months before going to my trainer. So my plan is to just walk until that time unless I can get on the elliptical earlier but I don't have any guidance yet on how long I need to wait. Anybody have thoughts on that or my post op approach?

Autumn01

Country
Greece Greece
Maybe I am wrong but seems to me a whole industry is built around forcing people on a conveyor belt after hip surgery strait to PT and complications.

i was years down the collaped road and fusion of bone…long past walking…. Yet within weeks without any PT, i was back to a normal that I had lost for many years.

follow advise on this board. No PT needed. hip heals itself. Give it a chance. Muscles seem to know what to do.

listen to your body. Do but dont overdo…

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello @Zoebichon
Tomorrow is your big day. We’ll be thinking of you and wishing you the best. Please join us on the healing side once you’re resting comfortably at home. See you then! :)

@MAGsTKR
I noticed your question above and also see that your THR surgery was about a week ago. Please consider starting a thread on the Hip Recovery Forum so we’re able to support and encourage you as you begin healing. We have helpful Recovery Guidelines to share with you also. Hope to see you there soon! :wave:

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
I have spent the last 5 months reading recovery stories here. Ever since my OS said I needed BTHR. I finally got my surgery date for May 19th.
I can see from all the stories that those who followed the BS way of no PT had far less aches and pains than those who exercised. My surgeon does not prescribe PT after THR.
I am certainly not athletic but I do love to do excersise. I was sent to PT in 2015 after being diagnosed with bilateral hip osteoarthritis. I went three times and was given lots of exercises to try.
Over the years, I have built up to doing lots of exercises with forty reps and 2 1/2 lb ankle weights and three second holds.
My OS said I am not limping (except early in the morning and at night) because my muscles are strong.
My question is how long do I wait to heal after surgery before I very slowly start strengthening again?
How atrophied will my muscles be after 6 weeks or 3 months of being mostly sedentary with just walking?
I have seen nurse Josephine caution against excersises even after five months!
I don't want to end up with chronic tendonitis issues from too early excersise.

Thanks!
6 weeks is not a long time. You won’t get atrophy in that short of time. I have atrophy in my thigh and it took a lot longer then 6 weeks. Focus on what feels good. Pushing too hard can be far worse.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bhoova
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom