Revision THR Now Facing Left Hip Revision

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I do indeed!
The one thing in my mind is should I give it one more chance to heal or should I go ahead with yet another complex revision?
But it won't heal. It's obvious that either the cup and/or stem is incorrectly positioned and needs to be replacement. Either that or one of the implants is loose.

And who told you this was going to be a 'complex' revision? Generally it's no more difficult than the primary (first) replacement.
Also I understand that even if I have a further revision there is no guarantee that it won’t re-dislocate.
Who told you that? Because if you have it redone then you will be set to how you were after the first time around. And also bear in mind that everyone, even those who have never had any hips surgery, is at some risk of dislocation all their lives. Look at this chart.

dislocation risk small.jpg

Thank you Josephine you have already made me feel better at least now I can stop trying to decide what to do. Would you stick with Professor Hart at Stanmore?

After having numerous scans and xrays despite four dislocations I was told everything was in exactly the right position and try to be hopeful that the hip stays in.

Well guess what, bang - out it came yesterday, absolutely excruciating, taken to my local A&E and it was relocated under sedation. How many times will I have to go through this hell before something gets done? I can’t live like this. I am terrified of moving.

Oh my stars...something isn't right.

@Josephine...any thoughts?

Yes, I would stick with him. Stanmore is the best.

But have you told him of this recent dislocation? If not, you need to.

1-horz.jpg

Since I last posted I dislocated again, that’s five times now. I have been sent some 3D images of a custom implant that is being made for me so at the moment I just have to sit this one out.

I thought you might be interested to see the images as I have never come across anything like it before. I have still been told however that there is still hope I won’t dislocate again but even so I think I should go for the new implant as I have lost faith in the one I have got. I wonder why the last one didn't work? I have been told it looks perfect on the xrays, don’t understand what is going on!

@ Beckford I so feel for you and hope this incredible piece of engineering can be the turning point for you. I am without a hip due to infection, it all must be so difficult for you. xxxx

I don't know if @Josephine would have any insight on this but Five Dislocations!
I'm sorry you are struggling and apparently the surgeon is too!
Have you gotten another surgeon's opinion on the matter?

I do wish for you a Merry Christmas.:treestar:

The way I understand how things won’t at Stanmore they do get more than one opinion. Professor Hart is notably one of the best hip surgeons in the country and he has a team working with him.

I did see another surgeon after it had dislocated a couple of times and he was unsure about the angle if the socket. But whatever, this hip is not right. Even at the beginning I struggled with a huge swelling which thankfully gone.

I think you could say that this has been the exact opposite of a smooth recovery.

I have been sent some 3D images of a custom implant that is being made for me so at the moment I just have to sit this one out.
Stanmore's implants are unique, made on site. Rarely available to other hospitals.
I wonder why the last one didn't work? I have been told it looks perfect on the xrays.
If I had a £1 for every time I've seen a loose or malaligned implant and see that it was loose or similar, I'd be a very rich woman!

Thank you Josephine. I am going out of my mind with boredom and so anxious to get a date for surgery this hip is definitely telling me it does not want any weight on it !
On my ct scan it did show that I have two sacral implants that have increased signal but I am so sure the pain is coming from the hip. The last two dislocations have been the worse, what I mean is the pain after relocating the hip has got worse.
I value your precious time giving support especially at this time of the year

Thankfully my hip replacements have done well but I do still struggle with what I believe is SI joint pain.
On my ct scan it did show that I have two sacral implants that have increased signal
Do you mind clarifying this?

Yes of course.
3 years ago I had my right sacroiliac joint fused. Unfortunately this did not go well. One rod was completely in the wrong place and now the remaining two show as being loose. This gets picked up on a ct spect scan where the area lights up .tThis is sometimyreferred to as increased uptake or increased activity and some simply say it looks hot but basically it means the implants are loose and not stabilising the joint . The joint gets arthritic and painful but it’s so close to the hip often people are misdiagnosed. The injection is the best way to be sure that it is the si joint causing the pain.
By the way I am going for a world record I have now dislocated 6 times and waiting for a revision.

I'm sorry for all of your struggles. Six dislocations...unbelievable.
I've heard it's extremely painful to suffer a dislocation. My heart goes out to you.
Let us know once you have the revision scheduled. We'll be here to offer support
as you move through surgery and recovery.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend.
@Beckford

Thank you for the imaging terminology lesson...I was interested also because I have two new great hips but some ongoing SI issues...doesn't sound like that fusion is going very well. Can that "loosening" affect the fit of the prosthetic hip?
Wish I would've paid more attention in high school anatomy class.:unsure:

Six Dislocations!!! oh my stars:flabber:
You poor thing...I surely hope they get you in soon...
I will be thinking of you.

I am faced with a dilemma.

Often the case when you have two coexisting conditions. My gut feeling is get the SI joint sorted first because I imagine with that being unstable it’s not helping the hip.

I am seeing my consultant on the 3rd January and so far we have discussed removing the rods and filling with bone graft . Alternatively is to remove the rods and upsize to bigger rods. I am going to leave the decision to him. He is the most experienced SI joint surgeon in the country in fact he trains other surgeons in the procedure. I think my custom made hip could take some time anyway so I might as well crack on and sort the SI joint. Both will require crutches so it makes no difference to me.

What I would like to ask any of you out there is how do I find out if my dislocations have been caused by use of wrong implants or implant positioning it seems very odd that I am having to have a custom made hip?

Thank you everyone for supporting me it’s been a nightmare!

Hi Beckford,
@Josephine may be the only one qualified to answer that question. We'll see if she can help.
I've tagged her for you.
Keep in touch and let us know how your appt goes on January 3rd. We're here for you.
I hope you have a pleasant weekend and holiday.
@Beckford

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back