THR Progress Reports

Bet she hadn't had her hip replaced:umm:
Hope all eases soon.:friends:

Hello everyone,
Here I am again - postop RTHR day 8.
Pain under control with paracetamol, dihydrocodeine and nefapam.
Op. Tuesday 10th Jan done under spinal and sedation, walked into theatre just after 8:00am and back in recovery by 9:50am. Tea and toast on the ward by 11:30am.
Home on Friday 13th Jan, using two elbow crutches to get to toilet / bathroom and one crutch for downstairs in the morning and upstairs in the evening.
Leg very swollen after day 5 but ice-pack helps. Sleep interrupted, with about 4hr maximum - painkillers at 4:00am, 10:00am, 4:00pm and 10:00pm seems to work with nefapam an occasional extra if needed.
Weird to see my posts from last time with similarities re pain and swelling. I had forgotten!

@Newhip_Pol Welcome back to hip recovery! It sounds like you are doing well at this stage. Just in case you have forgotten here are the recovery resources.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome back! Sounds like you're off to a normal start.
I recall it was nice to have that first week under my belt. You're feeling a bit steadier and have fallen into a temporary routine. I hope your pain is well managed, you get some much needed restorative rest and have a great day!
@Newhip_Pol

Aww, that is so sweet! Congratulations, grandma!
What a lovely gesture that he was named after your precious father. I can only imagine the many years of wonderful memories you'll create with the new addition to the family.
I hope you enjoy!
@Newhip_Pol

Hello again. This is becoming my customary awake time during the night - somewhere between 2:00am & 4:00am. Scheduled painkillers now taken and just waiting for sleepiness to return.
Have seen several photos of our newly arrived grandson and now wondering how and when I can get to London to see him and the family there.
Will wait until sutures/clips removed but then wondering whether to try air, rail or road (strikes willing of course!) Which would be easiest for the hip, would I able to arrange assistance, should I hire mobility scooter or wheelchair etc etc. ??? Perhaps need to be patient and wait for 6 weeks checkup.

I can imagine how excited you are to meet the new baby.
If it were me, I think I'd wait until after the six week appointment simply because you'll be feeling so much better and likely more energized. I know some who fly early on have rented a scooter or wheelchair which I am sure makes it much easier. Thankfully in this era of social media you'll hopefully see lots of photos helping you feel more connected.
With any luck, your meds will kick in soon and you'll be catching some Z's :sleep: A great weekend to you!
@Newhip_Pol

Good morning - 3:00am awake time again!
Had staples removed by nurse in outpatient dept yesterday. (Pic posted in hippie scars). A bit nippy in places but all good with wound clean and fully closed. Thin film dressing applied and given a few to use at home over the coming weeks.
First meeting with outpatient physiotherapist for assessment. Happy with range of movement so far. Advice given re stretching exercises for groin pain and these are already beneficial. Suggest gradually reducing pain meds when comfortable including replacing with icing as needed. Also advised to try to gradually put more weight through operated leg - using one crutch gives better stance. Next appointment in 2 weeks and I have to say I'm very pleased with her gently does it approach.
Able to sleep for about an hour on non-operated side for the first time at the start of this night. Now onto back again - wil take 4:00am meds and hope to sleep till 7:00am. Night, night.

Oh, so happy to see the update.
Staples all gone and a brief nap on the new hip side... sounds like things are getting better all the time.
Hope your Wednesday is Sweet:flwrysmile:

Well here we are again - 3:00am awake and waiting for nearer 4:00 to take pain meds. Have had two side sleep sessions this evening but only half an hour for the last one so it looks like it's back to being on my back.
Had a good day yesterday, shower and out for lunch and able to drop codeine and rely on paracetamol for some dosage points. Leg still swollen and heavy but pain generally well controlled. Dressing itchy when warm but icing helps with that too. Continuing to move around the house with one crutch and trying to put more weight through the operated leg which is definitely feeling stronger. Hope all January Jackpots are progressing well.

:bored:I wanted so badly to sleep after hip replacement...I was so sleep deprived.
I wasn't able to side sleep for months and then it really wasn't comfortable enough to stay asleep... so I surely sympathise.:console2:

As you know, it keeps getting better and better slowly.
Spring will be sweet:flwrysmile:

Please pray for our 10 day old grandson admitted to hospital today with chickenpox.
I understand they are treating him with i/v antivirals plus antibiotics.
We are distraught because there is nothing we can do other than wait and pray.

Aww :console2: I am so very sorry. I can imagine the anxiety this is causing you. I will lift a prayer on your sweet baby grandson's behalf that he is restored to health soon and for comfort and peace of mind for those standing by him in love.
Big hugs to you.
@Newhip_Pol

@Newhip_Pol so sorry to hear of the little guy's troubles. Will keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers. :praying: Cyber hugs coming to you from across the pond.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Word is baby grandson is responding as expected to antiviral treatment. He is with his mum on a paediatric ward and still feeding etc so worry is not so acute despite his young age (not quite 2wks yet). His big sister (age 6) is soldiering on through her chickenpox aided by the occasional iced doughnut as well as Calpol (paracetamol) and Piriton. Hopefully the family will be back together again soon.
My RTHR was 3wks ago today and I am doing ok. Have dropped the occasional codeine from my schedule but by and large seem to be better if I continue with the original prescribed doses. Using one crutch most of the time now and up & down stairs has got easier. I can also do the supine leg raise / abduction exercise in bed which was impossible at first! Leg extension is now not painful and bent knee fall out now possible to 45° or more.
Best wishes to all hippies. Onwards and upwards!
(Is there a double - I mean bilateral - hippie thread?)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom