Hip Infection* problem

Hello,
I hope the past couple weeks have gone well for you and you’re feeling encouraged.
Let us know how you’re doing when you’re feeling up to it.
Take good care!
@clodaghcov

Hello well the weeks go by and the hip is still there! I have no pain,i walk well on crutches but i still have a wound vac on which is pumping out a seroma,days go by with no serum then i do a few jobs and it starts again,at clinic last week they squeezed and poked and this the result!! The antibiotics continue to be given IV and oral but i have got used to it. The CT body scan did not show positive GCA but they think it is a negative/positive result because of being on steroids now. I am on a reducing dose now prednisolone really makes me feel very weird 5mg down each 2 weeks it can only get better!!,you seem to crave sweet things so perhaps its a good thing i have lost a stone in hospital and not gone back on! It is wonderful to have sunshine and warmth the dogs and i are revelling in it and the bird sounds,i am back doing some jobs and meals now but still wonderful help from all the family. I am really frightened of this hip and treat like royalty,i really feel if anything went wrong are just cannot face hospital again so i have to keep well and healthy!! Life is good i hope you are all happy and healthy, big big hugsxxx

Steroids make me feel really ditsy and anxious too.
Prednisone especially.
I do hope that all continues to get better and so glad to hear your positive part of your story.
I realize we are really just "strangers", I suppose... But it's really doesn't feel like that to me.
I feel like you are part of our family that has not had an easy time but is keeping the faith and I certainly keep you in my prayers.
Thanks for giving us a how it's going update dear @clodaghcov .

Last edited:
Hopefully things will continue to get better everyday and you and the dogs will really be able to enjoy the weather. So happy they are slowly weaning you off the steroids ugh, hate those things. Thanks for keeping us posted, we'll keep sending you good thoughts and karma. :friends:

It is wonderful to have sunshine and warmth the dogs and i are revelling in it and the bird sounds,i am back doing some jobs and meals now

Such an inspiration you are, I’m happy you’re holding onto your positive attitude and experiencing joy. Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and complete healing.

Hi,
I've been reading your story, and just want to send many (( hugs !!! ))
It is very inspiring how positive you are when you have been through
SO MUCH !!!

Also, I'm so happy you have dogs---they add SO MUCH joy to
our lives, don't they? I am terrified to have my THR, but I know
our sweet doggies will be very helpful in my recovery.

I am not wanting to write this and i still am not sure of what is to happen. My CRP has gone from 16 to 74 i have hip pain and am terrified of the consequences,it continues to splurge bloody coloured serum,i go to the hospital on thursday but they all know the desperation i am feeling unless my body can cope with this infection soon its a non starter. So sorry to be this negative it is very alien for me to be like this. The sun is glorious and everything in the garden dogs and family is wonderful,its just mexxxx

I absolutely hate to read your words....I can only imagine how you are feeling.
At the risk of sounding shallow and redundant, I am so sorry that you are going through this AGAIN.
I am thinking of you...:praying:

I am so sorry for the desperation you’re feeling. I wish I could make it go away. It’s so sad to think about all you’ve gone through. I wish you could get care sooner than Thursday. Prayers for your peace of mind, comfort and some positive news.
@clodaghcov

I'm so very sorry to read this @clodaghcov. You've had so many challenges with this hip, it seems so unfair. Do let us know how you're doing when you can. I'll be thinking of you.

@clodaghcov echoing the sentiments of those above. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, hoping for some positive results coming your way.

We can breathe again! but gosh the stress! my xray is good,my CRP dropped to 35 from 75,all to do with the prednisolone! i need to get off it! Yes,i have a wound that is draining from a small hole the serum is clear,the wound looks good this drainage may go on a long time my body cannot absorb it at the moment,it will happen,but it is better out than in,i just need to go slowly not get discouraged,keep happy and go back every 2-3 weeks,they are very proud of how i have coped and spent alot of time talking with me. The nurses came when i came home to give me my IV Daptomycin and i shall try not to over react when my bloods go up and down and go forward positively!!
Thank you for all your support and kindness you are a lifeline. Big hugsxxx

Aww, clodaghcov, this is such good news and heartwarming to read you’re feeling hopeful again. PTL your CRP has gone down. I believe many of us think of you often and want you to fully recover and thrive in good health.
Sending love and a hug. Thanks for sharing the wonderful news today.:loveshwr:
@clodaghcov

@clodaghcov that is just wonderful news, so happy for you! :yes!: :yahoo:

Disaster! the infection is back and about 500mls a day of serum and infection are pouring out. Ihad a meeting with the team on Thursday so disappointed and sad. The options are to go along with increased antibs for as long as i can,but concern over my general health with all that is happrning inside me, removal of all metal and put in cement spacer infused with anti b as i have had before,or4 amputation.

At the moment we have gone down the removal route and they hope to get me in within 2 weeks,but obviously if my bloods suddenly improved we will think again. I may eventually have to face amputation but only time will tell.

We have had other opinions and involvment with the bone infection team and i really am n trouble. If it wasnt pumping so much grot out we might be able to manage it with a colostomy bag,but my hip is very concave due to all the surgery so would be difficult to get a seal. Each day i think of something else to try to keep my spirits positive,i dont mind walking with crutches and a shorter leg but i would like to live.

The other problem is being on prednisolone,though now on a reducing dose at 10mg but gosh has made me feel grotty,perspiration pours down my head its quite amazing and my ears are so buzzy but that is tapering. We shall take a day at a time and if there is even the tineast spark that things might be getting abit better we will grab them!

Still walking the fields and not really any pain just so tired,Chotika Troys Thai fiancee is here until aug 22 so if i need it done i would love it that she was here to watch over everybody whilst in hospital,who knows for how long! I have been completely honest with the team and explained about the horrendous post surgical pain,my unhappiness being there for so long and my hope to have a room to myself,better to get it all out,

My bloods are still being done weekly and really ok CRP 29 toorrow is cortisol blood test to see if my body is starting to produce its own.

I am trying so hard to have faith and know these things happen for a reason but struggling at the moment.

Love and hugs to you allxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heartbreaking! I barely have words, but am lifting you in prayer and not giving up hope yet.
Sending love and hugs your way and wishes for your comfort and peace of mind.
@clodaghcov

:praying: prayers.
I know you were so worried about having to go back in when the spacers wore out.
I hate that things are so uncertain and yes, the mechanics of your hip, I understand, is secondary to getting this infection under control so that is not life threatening.
I hate the way Prednisone makes me feel...it makes me SO anxious.:console2:
Prayers are continuing on my end...I would live to see posts on the forum from you.
Doesn't have to be big news....we are here for whines or small victories too.

Oh my goodness, don't know what to say. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Will send as much good mojo your way as possible. Sending huge, healing cyber hugs your way. :console2:

I'm so sorry this has taken another turn for the worst. When you talk with your doctors next time (especially the infectious disease doctor), ask about the possibility of using a wound vac on the incision either now or after another revision is done. We've had several BoneSmarties with dreadful infections who recovered because of using this device. Maybe it would be a possibility for you.

In the meantime, I'll be praying that things improve for you. I know you are beyond worn out with all this. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom