Hip Infection* problem

Dear Clodagh.thank you for your reply, which is appreciated.

I am on antibiotic Amoxicillin/Clavulanic Acid tablets 875mg/125mg three times a day. I take probiotics and also take Calcium, D3, B12, K2, Zinc and Magnesium and feel as if I am rattling around! I also have the delightful Lovenox injections. I do the bottom clenching, foot pumps and quad presses frequently through the day.

I have a 2 inch shortness on my leg due to the stem slipping when I fell and do find it difficult especially with the sore muscles from the recent op. My knee on the same leg which was replaced in March is holding up remarkably well ... I have the straightness back but not the full bend now, which is frustrating.

I have been through Fundao more than 20 times when we used to drive back and forth from the UK and it is a lovely area ... just not keen on the winter weather there! We used to stop over in Guarda.

I will report back after my visit to the Surgeon on Friday.

Beijhos e abracos. xx

Last edited:
@clodaghcov .. Yes... I have had 2 infections. 2 picc lines and an antibiotic spacer. All I can say is tough it out. I did 3 months in a wheel chair with a spacer. I know and feel your frustration. It's unbearable and frustrating. But After 15 months 5 hip surgery's 1 spacer 2 picc lines and now an abscess I can say I am finally on the road to recovery. This forum will be a Godsend for you Clodaghcov. Visit it often as I did during recovery!!

I'm still on antibiotics as a precaution.

@clodaghcov I will say this.... And everyone in this forum will attest to me being a 57 year old 8 year old. I made the best of the hip spacer. Especially the farting noise it makes when you move your leg. I played so many practical jokes on people I didnt even know just to watch their reaction when they though I passed gas. At therapy people would look at me like.... Your a P I G pig LMAO

@Layla Well i now have a firm diagnosis of PMR after more and more blood tests this confirmed,the Rheumatologist has started me on a steroid to try and regulate my CRP and ESR which goes from12 one week to 24 the next. I feel slightly bemused about it really, yes i ache but have been on crutches over a year and non weight bearing and i am 70, but he assures me I should not ache and he is determined to sort my bloods, hopefully the 2 consultants will correspond but who knows!

I see Prof Jeys in 2 weeks so we will see what he says, to be quite honest i just want it to stop, and i really dont want to take Prednisilone, but i have no option but im certainly not staying it long.!!

I am trying to forget it all and just get on with things, i have been doing small driving and loving it, hip feels great, no pain, sleeping on wound and the wound really does look amazing especially having been opened over 15 times its really unbelievable. I so want to get my independance back and get on my way. Busy time ahead i need to get in gear!!

Happy times ahead im sure for us all, the colours of the leaves in the UK are just the best i have ever seen, makes you really glad to have the beauty on our doorstep!!. Hugsxx

Hi friend.
Glad you are able to get some beautiful color in the fall where you are.
Don't really have that much down south US...mostly pines.

I hate that you are dealing with PMR but you certainly knew something was making you feel rotten.
I was unfamiliar with the specifics of this and my body is not a fan of prednisone either.
One thing I read was
The usual course of this disease is anywhere from two to four years. In most cases people recover completely from the symptoms of PMR and lead normal, active lives. Although relapses may occur once treatment is discontinued, symptoms respond rapidly to treatment with corticosteroid.

Don't know how long you have been dealing with this..is this a new development?

I do hope you try and hang in there with treatment.
Wonder if turmeric would be helpful?
My step sister swears by it for inflammation issues!

Hope tomorrow is a good day.

I'm sorry for the diagnosis, your continued pain and discomfort. It feels unfair.
You have a healthy attitude through it all. You continue to enjoy life to the best of your ability and see the beauty in nature. I love Fall also and the beauty it brings with blue skies, cooler temps and the beautiful foliage.
It's history now where I live. Leaves on the ground, covered with snow. But....it will return one day :yay: too bad I'll have to wait a year :heehee:

Thanks for your unwavering support of others here. It's heartwarming that you take the time in the midst of your own trials.
I hope you have a great rest of the week.
Big hugs to you! :loveshwr:
@clodaghcov

@Mojo333 Hi, i actually feel fine, and certainly the aches and pains have started to diminish, I only started on the prednisilone on Wednesday so things moved quickly, I never would have really realized i had PMR except for my CRP and ESR results have been so crazy going up and down weekly! I am hoping they will start to even out, but who knows, I see Prof Jeys in a week so hopefully they are working things out together, it was just presumed that the aches and pains were the IV antibiotics and being on crutches.!

You can never know what is going on with these bodies of ours!!

Mike and I are going away for a couple of days, Iam only allowed 1 day of IV but it will be a treat, us plus 2 dogs makes for happiness. Hugsxxx

I do hope you have a wonderful time.
I'm whipped from all the Thanksgiving preparations and donations at Food Bank this week.
:groan:
You continue to remind me to stop and smell the roses.
Thank you for being You!:loveshwr:

@Mojo333 I think i may be able to celebrate, not because we couldnt go away as our bay window ceiling in our kitchen started pouring water and yes some of it is down, it was a problem with our water tank but hopefully is done, but lots of plastering etc when everything dries out!! Always something interesting going on with us!!

Now, get ready, I have been on steroids 5 days my CRP has dropped from 27 to 8!! We have got to the bottom of this mystery. I havent got an ache in my body, just the normal feeling of a spacer in situ, so ,my PMR is confirmed.

I see both the guys next week so i really feel my lovely GP has got to the bottom of things, dare I begin to feel i have turned a corner. Hugsxxx

Great report! Well not about your window crisis - but great news about your levels dropping. You are finally moving in the right direction. Long may it continue!

Wonderful news! I'm happy to read you are no longer aching and I sense your gratitude in finding an answer. Let's remain hopeful that you've truly turned a corner. I'm sorry about the water damage and also that it caused you to miss your vacay. I hope it's resolved soon.
Best wishes with your appointments next week. Let us know how it goes for you.
Hugs
@clodaghcov

:yes!: So so tickled to read this this morning!:happydance:
Hope that the rest of your week is Uneventful!:SUNsmile:

Hugs and well wishes, friend!:loveshwr:

:wave:
Hope all is going well with you friend!
Is it this week you have appointments?
Praying all is well and that you Too will have some good news!:loveshwr:

Hi :hi: sweet lady and encouraging supporter of many.
I hope you're doing well.
Wishing you a great evening and week! :flwrysmile:
@clodaghcov

@ Mojo Thank you all for your goodwishes and yes, things are looking good. My CRP and ESR are down to 4, unbelievable!, I saw my Prof yesterday and we are both delighted, he says he has never seen me so well, in the 7 years he has looked after me we have never had such good bloods. Bless my new GP my Rheumatologist and my own belief that there was something else wrong. We have made a decision and i am very very happy, we are not rushing for a new hip, i am very comfortable with my spacer, i am happy on my pink crutches and my buggy, I am driving, running the house and i think the wordis LIVING.

i shall see him end of January for xray of my spacer, obviously if it breaks or dislocates i then need to have surgery.

To help you understand why we are not hurrying i will explain quickly,I had my first infection 6/7 years ago, I was desperately ill, and went through the same rigmorole of IV and spacer, but my spacer bent and i was crippled with pain. After 5years i had another infection and the same again, had my new hip 5 months later, dislocated at 13 weeks and after open reduction infection was found again. I have had 7 months of daily IV from a wonderful team from ROH, weekly bloods and they have watched me go from despair at everything to elation. I will have another hip but theres no hurry, as Lee said i can reconstruct you but i cant guarantee you will not have another infection again, this last infection he saved my leg.

Now, theres lots of things worse than walking on crutches! our 6 dogs need me, my husband and family need to relax and not worry about me, and we want a holiday. We need to live a little.

Hugs to you all and so much thanks for support from you allxxx

You have been through so much! I don't know if I've ever posted on your thread before, but I've admired you from afar. I admire your positivity and grace and ability to take the problems you've been presented with and turn them into challenges to be overcome. I know you've had your private moments of grief and despair but, through it all, you've always cared for others and tried to console others about your own situation. I am so glad you finally have an answer to some of the questions. The fluctuating numbers had to cause your spirits to fluctuate as well! Enjoy the holidays and live your life. Then you can make new decisions and new paths forward next year!

@clodaghcov , what a wonderful report back. I am so very happy for you. May you go from strength to strength, and, yes, Live!

Have a wonderful holiday, boy do you deserve it!

@clodaghcov I am so pleased to hear your positive news an trust it will continue in this vein.

The shampoo I ordered from Amazon has arrived and I will try it today and make comment on my thread when I update it later today. I know you queried it somewhere.

Take care and continue to enjoy life. Beijos e abraços. xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics