Probably a dumb question

Evi

Country
United States United States
I’ve been reading through all the hip replacement articles as well as searching the threads - and I have a question about elevation of the legs

I see in the article the picture shows a patient with wedge or pillows under the calves

How do you achieve this without breaking the 90 degree rule

I’m guessing you can’t swing the legs onto the wedge from the sides as that’s too much twisting for the hip -

I guess I’m a bit confused as I’ve read also about knees having to be lower than hips - this clearly isn’t the case here with the elevation

Is the 90 degrees relating the thighs to the torso ?

You’re probably all rolling your eyes - but if someone can clarify I’d appreciate it

90 degrees thigh relative to torso.. This means not bending to put on socks for example or pulling your knee to chest to do the same.

The image below shows the bend that it would take to get to the 90 degrees that you're not supposed to go beyond.
upload_2019-5-30_21-49-14.png

You obviously don't need to bend that much to get your legs up on a wedge pillow. Please also know that not all surgeons employ this rule following surgery these days, so you may not have that restriction. In any case, your body will tend to tell you when you're bending more than it's ready for at any given time in your recovery.

When you lie down with a wedge, you may need to use a leg lifter at first to put your legs on the bed or wedge. If you have help at home, they can place the wedge under your legs once you are lying down.

I think these movements will be very intuitive once you get in recovery. You'll find what works best for you.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with "knees below the hips." When elevating we always recommend that you do your best to get "toes above the nose."

And don't ever feel your questions are silly. We're here to help you and love any and all questions we get. It means you're planning for recovery and that's a good thing!

You only need to keep your knees lower than your hips when you are sitting straight upright. If you're lying down, you can follow the picture that Jamie shared.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Ahh - thank you everyone for your replies - finally understand it

And - @Jamie - one last question(s)

Do I elevate both legs - or can I just elevate the operated one - will both tend to swell ?

Last edited:
Only elevation I did was sitting in a recliner. 25% of the time my OS wanted a rolled towel under my heel while sitting with my leg up. He also didn't want any pillows under my leg while lying down, just between my legs. Biggest help for swelling and pain was icing, and I had an ice water circulating machine so I used it continuously.

You can elevate only your surgical leg if that's more comfortable. The swelling depends on the individual. Some people experience it in both legs (in that case you should elevate and maybe even ice both). But for others the swelling is quite localized to the surgical area itself. You'll just need to see how things go.

Maybe you'll be the lottery winner and have minimal swelling anywhere! :fingersx:

Hi, there, @Evi. I am newly back on the forum, waiting for hip surgery #2, and wanted to comment on elevating. I struggled with that last time, and reached out in a panic, asking folks if they elevated or not, and if failure to elevate meant that the surgery would fail (gulp). Anyway, I learned that many folks didn't like elevating (it was hard for me, and very uncomfortable) so I just lay or sat in bed with my legs stretched out in front of me. And no ill effects, I recovered just like everyone else and it was just another needless worry kicked to the curb!

Another point, folks. Do remember that dislocation is a risk and not an inevitability.

Here's another image to help you understand what 90 degrees at the hip looks like

flex to 0 a-horz.jpg

Also, far from being a dumb question, it's a very good one!

My recliner made it easy for me to elevate so I lived in mine for the first month or so.
Much more comfortable for me than flat and I had very minimal swelling as a result.

I didn’t have the 90 degree restriction. My couch has the footrest you can put up so that is where I sat. I raised the footrest and put a pillow or two under my foot to raise my leg a bit more and iced. I only had what I’d call minimal swelling. Please feel free to ask any questions as none are ridiculous. Most likely any question you have will help others with the same question but didn’t let anyone know.

:hi: @Evi
Hope pre-op nerves are mostly in check and that you are ready to day goodbye to hip pain!:yes:

@Evi You are nearly there! Is all good to go?

Hi Evi,
Sending best wishes for tomorrow.
Will look forward to seeing you on the healing side. Wishing you comfort as you await the big day.
You're going to love the result :happydance:
@Evi

Morning @Evi sending you comforting thoughts, best wishes on the surgery, gentle hugs and plenty of healing vibes for tomorrow and after!
:praying:

Wow - thank you all!

I can’t believe the day is almost here - I actually canceled a year ago due to flat out fear - thought I could deal with this pain - but it’s deteriorated so badly at the rate I’m going I think I’d be almost totally bedridden soon if I don’t do this

I’m first place up tomorrow- need to be at hospital at 5:15am - surgery at 7:30

A bit nervous about the antibiotic thing - I’ve supposedly been allergic to penicillin for 48 years - but actually passed the penicillin challenge last week - looks like they’ll be using a cephalasporin - a relative of the penicillin
Trying not to think about the other possible complications-
Thank you all again for all the good wishes !

All the best..and glad you will be on the healing side!
Healing hugs in advance @Evi :loveshwr:

:wave:Hello Evi
I hope you're resting comfortably and your pain is well managed.
With any luck they're keeping you supplied with ice. :ice: You're on the bright side now and things are looking up...woohoo! :happydance:
Wishing you comfort on the journey :friends:
@Evi

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie