PKR prkaug2020 recovery

Sounds pretty normal, I read on here about taking longer strides ( it helps with extension) and after I started doing that for a couple of weeks, I picked up a lot more speed- honestly, I think it’s natures way of keeping us safe, our new knees don’t want us to fall on them and until we can be steady and balance right, our mind protects them from us trying to do to much before we are ready.

I don't think anyone could walk briskly at only 7 weeks post-op.

This is a year-long recovery, so try not to expect fast progress. Slow and steady is the way to go.
If you think of it as a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint, so you need to pace yourself and find plenty of patience along the way, if you can.

You've had very major surgery and it is going to take a long time for your knee and all its surrounding tissues to recover fully from the trauma. After all, your knee didn't get into such a bad state in just a few weeks, so try to allow it plenty of time to recover, too.

I’m 6 weeks after a total knee replacement and I’m still walking slowly and keep telling my husband to slow down! I have no need to rush and walking faster just seems to cause more pain so in my book why do it.

Almost 10 weeks PKR and beginning to have glimpses of normalcy, meaning I now have moments I actually forget for a short time I had knee surgery. Today I walked more than usual and mowed the lawn, a first since surgery as the uneven ground still feels a little unstable. I've noticed this evening I'm experiencing an achy feeling in my shin area. Has anyone experienced pain/aching in their shin? Icing and elevating tonight!

Anyone experience itching around the surgical site? My entire knee itches, not the incision. No rash or redness associated, just itching at times. I've moisturizing daily as well.

I had PKR on 9/17. My incision has been itching and as well as down my shin. I do moisturize around my knee which does help a little. I use vitamin E lotion which seems to help. I also can't have anything touching my incision because it gets irritated.

It is very possible that all that itching is caused by nerves that are repairing themselves. If you think about how much your tissues, tendons, muscles, and nerves are moved around getting that implant inside your knee it's perfectly logical that you'd be feeling all kinds of different things during your healing process. I even added in mine, both feet peeling even though I had only one knee replaced!

Yes sistersinhim, I was also wondering about nerves healing as well. Let's hope so!! :yes!:

Hi Pkraug2020! 7 weeks was not a happy time for me. Still lots of pain, stiffness and swelling. But at 7 weeks my patience was starting to wane and I definitely felt like I should be doing more. But as everyone told me, it takes a lot of time for healing to happen, so hang in there! It does get better. I am 3.5 months out now, back at work and feeling so much better than I was. It’s still far from perfect, but I now go as long as a few hours without even thinking about my knee. Major progress from that seven week mark. Best wishes, and good luck with your recovery!

Almost 10 weeks PKR and beginning to have glimpses of normalcy, meaning I now have moments I actually forget for a short time I had knee surgery. Today I walked more than usual and mowed the lawn, a first since surgery as the uneven ground still feels a little unstable. I've noticed this evening I'm experiencing an achy feeling in my shin area. Has anyone experienced pain/aching in their shin? Icing and elevating tonight!
Walking on uneven ground can aggravate those soft tissues for a while. Icing and elevating was just the thing to do.

My OS recommended focusing on (very gradually) increasing the distance and gait, and not focusing at all on speed. He told me the gait is changing for at least 3 months after the surgery. He encouraged me to focus on improving the gait, and on increasing leg stamina by increasing duration (time walking without stopping) gradually, but steadily. He said increasing the speed or duration too quickly would likely cause more swelling, which it did. .
I was so used to walking fast and far that I was impatient. I did better at following his advice after the second pkr. LOL, he's always right.
Heel toe Heel toe became my mantra.

11 weeks PO and noticed what I believe to be a small suture coming from my incision. My scar is healed and no redness. Does anyone know if it's normal for a dissolvable suture to be surfacing at this stage in the healing process?

This does happen. It's not often, but you should be fine. Of course, if it seems to be causing any problems give your OS a call.

Please update thread title to - prkaug2020 recovery. Thank you

Thread title changed for you!

Has anyone used a compression sleeve to assist with post-op swelling?
I have used compression socks for recovery after two meniscus 'scope surgeries with great results....less swelling for sure. I say keep them on!

I'm 7 weeks PO and still having difficulty walking briskly. Distance is not so much an issue but getting speed up still feels uncomfortable.
I really think you're expecting too much, too soon from your new knee.
Complete recovery from a knee replacement, whether it's a total or a partial, takes a full year.

This recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. Try to think of it that way. You wouldn't expect to run as fast in a marathon as you do in a sprint - and knee recovery is the same. You're walking and able to do longer distances. In that, you're already far ahead of many people at only 7 weeks after this major surgery. Given time, being able to walk faster will come.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member