TKR Preventing Future Infections

Hi everyone.
I am about 7 months post RTKR. Knock on wood things seem to be going pretty good. I was wondering about risks of prothesis infection from cuts, scrapes and popped pimples on legs for one's lifetime ? Hope I do not sound ridiculous. I am so sorry for those dealing with infection. I have read there is risk and I am wondering the best course of action if these occur . Thanks

I believe these folks will guide you. The only thing I know of and keep forgetting about, is if you have your teeth cleaned, there is a risk due to bacteria from this. Typically need to take antibiotics ahead of time and after.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Technically it is no longer necessary to take antibiotics before a routine dental procedure to prevent an infection in your joint replacement site. That recommendation was changed in 2016, though many surgeons and dentists still prefer it.

My dentist does not require it and I don’t take them. My replacement was 4 years ago, I’ve never taken the antibiotic before a dental procedure and I’ve never had an infection. My dentists have an article on their website stating why they don’t require taking the antibiotic before routine dental procedures.

Here’s an article from the Bonesmart library about it.

I have also been told about antibiotics not being necessary before dental visits. At the moment I was more curious about cuts, scrapes and actually ruptured pimps anywhere but more specifically on the legs. I had a PT tell me I had to be cautious of these the rest of my life and I wondered what people on Bonesmart thought or if there is an actual article regarding this. I hope this doesn't come across as being paranoid but I believe people on here can appreciate taking care of replacements.

It is not paranoid to gather information to take better care of yourself and your new joint.

I‘m not aware of any articles here that address your specific question. I’ll present your question to the rest of the staff for discussion.

At the moment I was more curious about cuts, scrapes and actually ruptured pimps anywhere but more specifically on the legs.
Just use common hygiene such as washing any cut or scape and keeping it clean. I always wear gloves when doing anything in the garden.

The overuse of antibiotics has caused us more problems than it solved. I queried my surgeon, my GP and my dentist about antibiotics before cleaning. All agreed they were not needed.

When I break my skin I usually wash it, put a little bit of an antiseptic on it, and a bandaid for a day. It's not necessarily because of my tkr, but just a general safeguard for the injured area.

When I break my skin I usually wash it, put a little bit of antibiotic cream on it, and a bandaid for a day.
It's better to use antiseptic cream than antibiotic cream. Using antibiotic cream "just in case" is one way of developing an allergy and it can also lead to the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand basic hygiene is called for with any cuts regardless of person. Reading between the lines , does Bonesmart and people on here feel in general this is a non-issue ?

Personally, it’s not an issue that I think much about.

Other than what you would normally do with a cut or scrape it is not an issue for me either.

Infection has been a concern for me for over 9 years now, ever since my ankle replacement @jtstag, and I'm pretty clumsy, forever getting nicks and cuts. I have never treated them any differently than I did before replacement and haven't had any issues at all. If I cut myself and it seemed like an infection was taking off I would probably see my GP, just to be on the cautious side, but just standard wound care has always prevented that.

I'm clumsy, too, am cutting, scraping, and bruising myself. I don't worry about my knee at all, just my new injury.

I was far more concerned about getting an infection in my new joint for the first two years after surgery. After that, I gradually became less worried. I'm still aware of it, but the concern seems to have faded into the background.

I've thought about getting a booster tetanus shot just in case I get a deep wound, burn or other injury, even animal bites however minor. I've read that garden soil and rose thorns can carry bacteria. Can't be too careful.

Last edited:
You should always keep your tetanus shots up to date.

Yes, this post is prompting a call to my GP.

Hi.

I haven't posted in awhile. I am 18 months post op on my right TKR. I had left TKR in 2014. My question is, is it possible to wear out the joints sooner with excessive walking ? Everyone I know recommends walking but does too much still war out the joint sooner ? Too me it makes sense that any motion over time probably does some wear and tear. Thoughts ?

Hello @jtstag Thanks for stopping by.
Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your most recent recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you’d like your thread title changed to reflect your latest question, please let us know and we’ll edit accordingly.

To answer your question, I’m not sure what you mean by excessive walking. What is excessive to one, may seem natural to another. I will add that joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

Enjoy those walks! :walking:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom