Preparing the bedroom

Tboom

Country
United States United States
Hello all, I am getting my house in order and have a question. Which side of the bed is best to get in and out of after Left THR posterior approach. I hope this is not a silly question. Just trying to figure EVERYTHING out before Dec 6 surgery.

I am getting a right hip done, I have heard that you use the opposite leg...

Good luck!!

Whoops...guess I'll have to tell my husband that after 27+ years he will have to switch sides with me! Actually, I'm not planning to do that, I'm sure it can be managed from either side. I think for me it will be easier to get the unoperated leg onto the bed first, and use that to leverage the other leg, but maybe I'm completely nuts.

I had my left hip replaced and I found it easier to get in and out of the left side of the bed. I think it may a matter of individual preference. Maybe you could practice before your surgery. Let your THR leg act like dead weight and see what feels easier and more natural to you.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

If using the nonoperated leg to help lift the other doesn't work because it's the wrong side of the bed, you can use the crook of a cane, yoga strap or belt to help you lift it.

Hi @Tboom I had my right hip replaced. I sleep on the left side of our bed, so getting in with the bad and out with the good leg first. PT at hospital said no need to change sides, and it's working just fine.

Actually I think this is a great question. It has been worrying me as well. I am having a THR left leg on December 5 the way our bedroom sets up I will only have room enough to get in on the right side of the bed. I have been practising and think it will be doable. I too am worrying over every little detail. All the best to you and hope all goes well for you!

I swapped sides with hubby cause he slept closest to the doorway. It was easier for getting to the bathroom :)

I had left done and sleep on right side of bed. I would simply sit on side of bed, avoiding 90 degrees, and use my arms to help me scoot back until left leg was on the bed, past the knee. Then I maneuvered left by sliding. Then took a nap from the effort. :)

For me it’s easier to get the good leg up first and the other one follow. A leg picker upper really helps a lot.

I had right done and slept on right side of bed because walker would work on that side. Because of the way our bedroom is, walker wouldn’t fit very easily on left side. It took a little effort to get out of bed for a few days but it was doable. As others have said, it varies from one person to the next. I wish you well with your upcoming surgery. It will be so very wonderful to get rid of that OA pain!!!

Looking forward to that part , getting rid of the pain. Feels like the pain is getting worse heading to my operati g date but think maybe I am not fighting it so much and more accepting. Had blood tests today and more x-rays. All getting very real! So much better when I fell and broke my ankle. Didn’t know that was coming. Knowing what is coming is kind of weird. At least ten times a day I think I must be able to control myself out of this. Realize this is very small compared to what a lot of people have to deal with. Then I feel grateful!

Thanks everyone for your response. Its nice to have folks who actually know what to do and expect by experience. I think I am ready for 5AM Dec. 6. I dread the blood thinner shots I have to give myself more than the surgery lol. Lululucy you go the day before me; I hope all goes well and look forward to comparing experiences afterwards.

If you’re worried about giving yourself injections why don’t you ask if they can give you oral instead. I had injections in hospital but went home on aspirin.

Surgeon said lovenox injections for a week or 2 and then aspirin. Something to do with my bloodwork and family history of Blood clotting disorder. I just despise needles but I will get er done lol.

I hope this is not a silly question
On BoneSmart there is no such thing as a silly question!

@sequin98 I changed your video as the man in yours actually broke the ninety degree rule as one point! And he never used a walker.

@Tboom - yay, it's finally here! Try to get some sleep tonight and best wishes for you tomorrow!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562