BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Preparing Mentally for Bilateral THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by shodan, Oct 9, 2018.

1. shodan

shodan new member

United States United States
    I am going to be 50 in the next few weeks and I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the hips over a year ago. Prior to be diagnosed what I thought was a pulled groin muscle turned out to be hip issues. So I have been dealing with this for roughly 2 years. The left hip was the worst a year ago and now the right is starting.

I have been taking 2 different types of NSAIDs. When I take them I feel okay and its tolerable, but when I stop taking them the pain and stiffness starts again. Can't sleep through the night any longer due to pain and discomfort. Trouble putting on socks and shoes. Leaning over for something, etc. I don't want to rely and depend on NSAIDs to feel better. I see some of the side effects and don't want to deal with this as well. I have done research online and watched videos on YouTube.

I have met with 2 surgeons and meeting with a third next month as I am trying to find a surgeon that I have a comfort level with. My plan is to have bilateral hip replacement surgery no later than March 2019.

I know I can't live like this anymore. It has become a burden and disrupting my life. At the same time, which I am not ashamed to say, I am scared to death of this surgery and what it entails.

Is there any insight that can be offered and what I can expect after surgery and recovery times.

Thanks

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @shodan Welcome to BoneSmart! Sorry your hips have failed! But you made the right decision. Get those bad hips replaced and get on with living again. You certainly don't want to be taking NSAIDS long term. I totally agree with having BTHR - one surgery and one recovery.
    Have a read around the forum. You will find several members here who have had BTHR. My colleague @Mojo333 is one of many so I'll tag her to come and chat.

Of course you are scared - we were all in that space. Most members agree the wait for surgery is the hardest part. Your imagination goes wild. But you won't regret this life changing procedure.

In terms of recovery - every THR recovery is different even on the same person. It's all about how you react to the procedure. I'll give you a couple of our recovery articles that might at least suggest a general time line - but your experience may differ.

Keep posting here - it does help ease those nerves.
    Activity progression for THRs
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

3. shodan

shodan new member

Thank you for you quick reply. I will read over this material.

4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
    You'll find lots of encouragement and support here.
    Stop by often, we'll keep you company as you move toward surgery and through recovery.
    A great week to you!
    @shodan

5. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

I had 2 bad hips but one was worse and I only had 1 done. My OS wanted me to wait at least 3 mos for the second. For now the Rt is behaving itself so it will stay as is until I feel it's needed. I can see the advantage of doing both at once as it's one and done and you won't have to think about the other. I'm sure the first weeks of bilateral would be tough. One or two it's not a surgery to be taken lightly and you will be out of commission for a while.

6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @shodan .:wave:
    Guess I missed my tag to meet my soon to be bilateral pal.
    After several years of back problems, pain, sciatica and limping, and No Sleep...I pursued my "back issues" to finally get a diagnosis of end stage OA...both hips at age 53.
    I have always been extremely active and hard working...and I was Mortified! And frightened also of "the fix". Fortunately I was also miserable and desperate enough to try anything as I had tried everything!
    My BTHR was last May...and I am back to life hip pain free!
    "Both at Once?!" Was an oft heard exclamation after my diagnosis...and since my surgery..
    But my OS felt like I was a good candidate and I am glad that I was able to get all sorted at one time.

BoneSmart was a great tool for my recovery so you are in a great place for getting the scoop from those who know.
    Getting your life back will be :yahoo:

8. danmire

danmire new member

I had BTHR June 4 this year and it's been a life changer. I'm so glad I went this route rather than do one and then wait to do the other. I'm just over 5 months and I haven't walked this good in years. The advantage I think is that you learn to walk again properly with both hips together. My body was so out of whack with each hip at a different level of deterioration. I would totally recommend doing the BTHR.

• Agree Agree x 1