THR Preparations - 1 week before surgery

bay_streety

Country
Canada Canada
The surgery day is in a week - just wondering about what type of things other people are advised to stop doing to best prepare for surgery. My hospital booklet says the following: to stop shaving, to stop with manicure/pedicure and taking vitamins/supplements. Just curious about if there's anything else people waiting for surgery got advised to stop doing 1-week before?

Hi @bay_streety and welcome to BoneSmart! :wave:

In addition to what you listed, I was advised to stop taking all NSAIDs -- like ibuprofen, naproxen, aspirin, etc.-- since they are blood thinners and can provoke excess bleeding during surgery.

I also was given a list of "to-dos," including eating healthy meals, consuming lots of fluids and moving as much as pain permitted during that week leading up to the big day.

You must be happy that you don't have much longer to wait! Look forward to hearing from you on the recovery side.

Thank you for responding @benne68 and @Layla - counting days and very nervous. Yes, trying to move, eat healthy and drink fluids - hope to share good experiences on the recovery side.

Your doctors office or hospital staff should be giving you a list of what to do or not do prior to surgery. Please contact them tomorrow.
Marie

Your "stop list" sounds like the one I was given.
My notes also noted no Alcohol 48 hours before; they want you well hydrated.

To dos (that helped me)
My husband moved our sofa to best position it for my Netflix watching (taking into account my likely most likely reclining position.)
Make sure your passwords are up-to-date on any streaming services you want to use....no fun trying to sort that out with a head full of pain meds.
Even with a bandage over my incision it was quite sensitive after my first THR so for the second one I made sure I had an extra stretchy waistband in my joggers/sweatpants. I bought a couple of pairs a size up to give myself extra wiggle room.

Good Luck !

Best wishes for an easy and successful surgery tomorrow, @bay_streety. We look forward to seeing you on the recovery side when you are feeling up to it!
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks