THR Pregnancy post hip replacement

JRK

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm 33 years old and after surgery to attempt to correct alignment issues went wrong back in 2013, 5 further surgeries later to try and fix it, I ended up having a very complex THR combined with a femoral osteotomy in 2016. Recovery has been progressive but slow and I am still in some pain with a lot of scarring.
I am now 10 weeks pregnant and whilst my orthopaedic surgeon doesn't think I will encounter any major problems, I wondered if anyone is willing to share their experience of pregnancy with a hip replacement? I'm concerned about mobility in the later stages as well as natural vs c section birth.

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us here. I'm sorry you're still dealing with some pain
as you're slowly recovering. Hopefully it continues easing for you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. How exciting! While I don't have any advice to offer, as I've not experienced pregnancy after THR, I found something the forum Nurse, Josephine has posted in the past. I hope you find it helpful. I'm sure your OB/GYN will have a viewpoint on the situation in addition to your OS's opinion. Wishing you a smooth pregnancy and an uneventful delivery of your precious baby.
@JRK

Josephine's response to delivery after THR -

Don't worry a thing about it. You will be fine. There should be no repercussions connected with the hip. The only thing is you need to impress upon the midwives that you have a hip replacement and if they require you to use lithotomy poles (fig 1) during the delivery, ask them to make sure you have your feet inside the poles and not outside. And if they use the poles like figure 2, ask them to make sure they don't spread your legs too wide.

lithotomy-jpg.63798

lithotomy-2-jpg.63799

Better yet, get them to let you deliver with both feet on the bed but again, don't spread your knees too far out.

I don’t have any experience or advice but I’d like to follow your thread as we will be trying for baby number 2 after summer and this baby will be post LTHR so I’m keen to see people’s responses.

Congratulations on your pregnancy x

Please will you tell us the full dates of your hip surgeries and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom