THR Pre surgery blues

Karenhasswag

Country
United States United States
Advice on how to deal with this?

I dont feel like I have family support post surgery even though I've asked so that I can make a plan.
I worry, about everything really but mostly getting out of bed the first few days and getting to the bathroom.
I have a large young dog I dont think I'll be able to care for and don't have anyone he can stay with as of now.

I'm young (53) and still very active despite pain (swim and lift heavy weights 6 times a week). I'm a hope for the best plan for the worst type person and I feel that I'm not able to plan or control anything here. So I've been spending a lot of time crying.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! We're happy you're here.
I will leave our pre-op info for you and type more in a post below that -

HIP PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

I’m 76 with an 80 year old caregiver. I worried a lot about the same stuff. Both hips have been bad for over a year so my fitness is lousy. BUT I get in the car to go home without help. Used my cane to lift my leg into bed for a couple days and then could do it on my own. I have an elevated toilet seat and a shower chair and haven’t needed help at all in The bathroom. I get up, slowly make it to the kitchen and make coffee and cereal while holding onto counters. I gather ice for my ice machine and hobble to my recliner and add the ice while sitting down. Several hours later my husband gets up. You will do fine. Practice doing all this ahead and you’ll find you can do it.

I am sorry you're feeling so anxious about recovery and having a plan in place. :console2:
Dealing with a deteriorating joint is enough in itself. If you're unable to get family to commit, what about extended family, friends, or neighbors? Getting out of bed and getting to the bathroom shouldn't be a problem because they will show you how to do this before you're discharged from your surgery site. Depending upon your set up at home, it may take you longer initially, but that's okay. Also, practicing now will help you feel more confident once it becomes a reality.

While not ideal, many do successfully recover alone at home. It will be best if you can have someone check in on you daily for the first week at least, in case you're in need of anything and also for someone to be within earshot for the first couple showers in case you need assistance. Possibly you'll have a visiting nurse or PT stopping by? While they wouldn't be there all day, it may help fill the void if you're unable to have family or friends commit to a daily visit for the first week or two.

You should be discharged with clear instructions on next steps and when meds need to be taken. From my understanding, there are phone apps you can use as a reminder and to record your medication schedule, although I never used one personally.

Do your best to prepare your recovery area now with the essentials you'll find here -
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Stock up on freezer meals you've prepared ahead of time, frozen grocery store meals, easy to prepare meals for those first couple of weeks.

Try to focus on preparing your nest as best as possible and on the brighter days ahead when you're back to all that you love, with the pain! Feel free to share any fears you have here, or ask any questions that arise. We'll do our best to support you through the entire process. Thanks for joining us!
@Karenhasswag

Please let us know which hip, Right or Left, so we're able to add that info to your signature.
Thanks in advance. :)

I think the large young dog would be the biggest concern. I could get out of bed and go to the bathroom, which I did A LOT, right from returning from surgery. You just have to move slow and be careful with a walker. I was pretty independent when I returned home. One of the problems is trying to carry anything and use a walker to get around in the house.

Reactions: Law
Oooh...I'm glad you posted about the dog, @Eman85 I meant to share something, but forgot and you just jogged my memory.

Check this out -
Pet Bowl (requires no bending to fill or clean) - Here

EDIT: Just noticed this one is currently Out Of Stock, but there are others. See if you think it is something you'll find useful.

Thank
Thank you all for your suggestions. They're reassuring. My hospital has a class where they go over everything and the three things that freaked me out were
1) have someone with you 24/7 for the first week. I dont think this is possible at all. I can have people check on me and boyfriend will be home in the evenings and nights and earl mornings.
2) no driving for 4-6 weeks. I was thinking that I'd be able to drive when I was off pain pills and would be able to get myself to therapy. I'm looking into the local senior/medical van. I think this will probably work along with some friends.
3) the dog. I think I'm just going to find a way to board him the first week and then have a dog walker come for a couple weeks after. It's not something I can really afford but I'm going to rearrange my budget to make it work.

I'm have my right hip done.

Thank you again.
all for the suggestions.

1) Some people recover alone, so certainly having people check in on you and your boyfriend available evenings and early morning will help immensely. You can do this!
2) I was released to drive at three weeks, OS's permission, many members are. It's about getting off the heavy meds and your confidence level. So keep that in mind and realize it may be sooner than they told you.
3) Boarding is a great idea if its in the budget. One less worry. Your plan sounds perfect!

Stop back often. We'll be here! :)
@Karenhasswag

I'm glad you came.up with boarding your pup!!! I was about to suggest that. The last thing you need is getting tangled up with a boisterous pup with poor awareness of his place in space!

Having your boyfriend means you're not alone! You might not be thrilled being alone 8-12 hours, but with preplanning food and making that "nesting area" mentioned earlier will make it feasible.

I set up around a recliner chair, with my ice machine in easy reach (you DO want one to avoid constantly swapping out cold packs) and a sturdy folding table for my meds, a beverage, magazines, a container of trail mix, my tablet.

Oh!!! Wear something with pockets (a cardigan?) at all times so you are never even three feet away from your phone!!!!

A couple more things- get a basket for your walker or tie a couple bags to it to help carry stuff including your phone. Get an insulated thermos with a tight cover and handle for bedside water and hot tea or coffee. One useful mobile phone app is IHealth for Apple phones. You list your meds, when you should take them and it will remind you. Then when you do take them you record that on the phone right away and it records the time so if you forget when you actually took the med you can look it up. Very handy. Remember that there is a light on your phone too so you can use it as a flashlight if you can’t reach your light switch.

Driving is different for a right compared to a left. You have to be very sure you can move your leg/foot fast enough to get off of the gas and unto the brake. Just lifting the leg to get into the car can be a chore for many of us, every hip is different. Many have been alone for much of their early recovery, you just have to plan. It's a good thing to practice your everyday life mindful of the recovery. You'll find you'll struggle with some things but can plan ways around them.

you have time yet, so if you can get a lot done around the house before that might be hard afterwards, that would be good. I had a bunch of little chores that had been hanging around for quite a while and I knew that once I got home I would feel compelled to do them and it would be difficult, so I just got as much stuff out of the way as I possibly could, including every last bit of laundry so that when I came home there wouldn't be that much to do.
and things with pockets when you're on the walker is very handy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom