Pre-registration - pre-op class

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnslbrg

Country
United States United States
I'm sorry, I used the search feature to see what the consensus is regarding the pre-registration meeting at hospital, but was unable to find anything.

I was able to pre-register online and am hoping I can just skip the pre-op class. I've been reading and reading about the procedure and recovery and can't imagine it will be of much further benefit. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Diane

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I think you should probably go. They took a copy of my medications so the pharmacy at the hospital would have the correct meds. Told us about calling us for time to be at hospital and where to call if we are not called by a certain time. Handed out antibiotic scrubs we are to use day before surgery, what we should be eating, exercises, our rights and concerns on pain meds, and several other things. You probably know most but there were a number of details about how everything works. They gave us a handbook to go over the info.

Thanks for the response. I guess I better.

Hi,
Just wanted to ask if you happen to be in Leesburg, FL? Though it might be based on your signature. If so, what hospital are you going to? I am going to Florida Hospital Waterman and they have their class online. When is your surgery? Mine is July 14th.

They will also tell you things that are specific to that hospital so do go.

You will also meet some of the staff that will be taking care of you in the hospital. There will also be a time for you to ask questions.

Welcome , another Diane, and another Florida Diane :). I say go as well. Each hospital has their own process and its best to go and get all the info.

Boy we have a lot of Florida gals here.. and now THREE of us are Diane's :) I am in Orlando and going to ORMC.

This is a great place to learn, and share and the best support anywhere!

Thanks for all the replies! I live in Hollywood but my OS is in Adventura so that's where I'll be going. [emoji4]

Hello everyone. I have less than a week to go and have some concerns with my range of motion and also bakers cyst pain.

I had done PT for 5 weeks prior to deciding to have the TKR. My PT told me I have a huge bakers cyst which causes me a lot of pain. I mentioned it to my OS but he didn't really say anything. That was the same appointment I had my most recent X-rays and realized I had exhausted all my efforts to get around having the TKR. Do I mention it again at the hospital? Will he see it during surgery? I'm worried that it won't be addressed and will lead to more pain and additional trouble.

I'm also worried about my range of motion. I did my pt exercises at home faithfully but never really improved my knee flex. I did improve my straightening quite a bit however. Is my flex problem related to my bakers cyst? Will this make my recovery more difficult or is this something to be expected in all OA patients?

Thanks in advance everyone for your insight.

Diane

Don't know much about Baker's cyst in particular, but I had a pocket on the side of my knee that would get filled with fluid and when it got "too full" and need draining, I couldn't do as much ROM with it. Then about a day after it was drained, I could go back to moving. I would imagine your Baker's cyst is doing the same thing. They did tell me that surgery would take it away too, so maybe that is what will happen to you.

Good luck with your surgery.

Thank you so much. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with the what-ifs. I've been reading and reading on here. Trying to be prepared and trying to stay positive and focused on the day that I can walk without a crutch! :)

@dnslbrg I'm with you - my surgery is July 14th and I am all about the "what-if's" right now. Even though I have been through this before with my other knee - the anxiety is still there. But, when I had the first knee done I was SURE it would never heal and feel normal - Boy was I wrong! It takes some time but it does get better and when it does - it is truly wonderful! So, along with the anxiety, I hope you are also feeling some excitement and hopefulness and joy about life to come!

Thank you Diane I'm trying! I've been like this since November. Not being able to ride my bike, shop or walk has been so depressing. My poor husband has had to do all the grocery shopping while working full time and trying to keep me thinking positive.

I hate to wish my life away but I can't wait for three months from now.

and the 3rd Florida Diane weighs in. I totally hear ya @dnslbrg . I feel the same way, and while my husband is retired, he does way too much, shopping , vacuuming, laundry, etc. I also worry all the what ifs, and wish I could wave a magic wand and make it be a few months from now...

I have my pre op class scheduled for next Tuesday. I dont know what to expect from it really, but I will try to listen, learn, and ask questions.

I cant wait till all of us Diane's are on the other side and recovering. You guys will be a month ahead of me... I will have lots of catching up to do.

My PT told me I have a huge Baker's cyst which causes me a lot of pain. Do I mention it again at the hospital? Will he see it during surgery? I'm worried that it won't be addressed and will lead to more pain and additional trouble.
Of course he will see it during surgery. He could hardly miss it! But you might ask him what he intends to do about it. He might just aspirate it which is usually good enough.
Is my flex problem related to my Baker's cyst?
Of course it is! Very much so.
I'm also worried about my range of motion. I did my pt exercises at home faithfully but never really improved my knee flex
It's quite possible that your exercises caused the inflammation that have made your Baker's cyst blow up. Read the article in that link

Thank you so much Josephine. This makes me feel much better. I will definitely ask him. Six more sleeps to go!

and the 3rd Florida Diane weighs in. I totally hear ya @dnslbrg

I cant wait till all of us Diane's are on the other side and recovering. You guys will be a month ahead of me... I will have lots of catching up to do.

Me too! Thanks for your understanding. It sure helps to know we're all going through the same thing and have others that understand.

Although not a Diane, I will be right there with you. Only 12 more days, and I will be having my revision TKR. I'm terribly anxious about it but will be so happy to be on the other side again.. The pain I have now is much worse than I had before the original TKR so I'm really looking forward to getting on with recovery. I go to a class at hospital on Monday, then pre-op at hospital after that. Wednesday I see the OS PA so should be able to have all questions answered by then. So glad to have Bonesmart from the beginning this time

Dorothy

@turtle68 I was in your place a few months ago. I was worse after the TKR and very anxious about the revision. I had the 'what if I'm even worse' worries about the revision. It turned out to be the best choice I had ever made in my life. After a week or so all the pain was gone and my knee was working! Yours will too.

Ok all you Dianes out there. There's another way to think about this TKR. How about 'after this I will be able to' and fill in the blank with all he things that crumby old knee is stopping from you to do. I truly believe that positive thinking does help. And IF you have any questions or the rare problem we are here to help you through them. So, are you with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom