Pre-op

Jesus fan

Country
United States United States
Can you all tell me what to expect during my pre-op appointment? I don't know what they will do and also I have an appointment to see my OS the same day, any ideas what that appointment is for?

@Jesus fan ,
During your Pre op they normally take a chest x ray, labs, EKG, and any other tests depending on your medical needs. They want to be sure you will be able to tolerate surgery.
They may have you pre register for your surgery.
Your OS will go over the upcoming surgery, and answer any questions you may have before surgery.

You will notice I moved your thread to pre op where you will receive more responses from members who are at the same stage of preparation as you, and can advise about pre op appointments.

Take a list of questions you might have to this appointment. Then write down the answers during your meeting. These appointments can be a nervous time. It's good to have a written record of the answers to refer back to.

Hi @Jesus fan ....you might also see a PT who will assess your walking now so that they have a 'before and after' picture. On the other hand, you're in the States and I know my preop is a bit different.....less tech (no chest xray and I didn't see my surgeon). At some point you'll probably have contact with your anaesthetist, mine phoned me at home, but maybe you'll see yours at preop too. Jaycey's list is a good idea, or, even better, take someone with you and get them to write it down (I couldn't listen and write at the same time, my ears were too nervous!). Don't forget to wear easy to take off clothes and slip-on shoes, so you're not panicking about getting caught up with straps or laces. A book in case you're sitting around a lot and maybe a bottle of water and a snack? (lol I should have been a Girl Guide!). Above all don't worry....it's a good opportunity to ask all those questions and is a step nearer to getting rid of the pain :happydance:

Pre-op with a GP is to make sure you are healthy enough for the surgery. I didn't have a pre-op with my OS what I had was a class at the hospital. First half of the class was by the head of nursing from OR and the 2nd half was about PT and recovery. They also swabbed us to check for MRSA.

At my class they did a big thing about nutrition, and aids. I met with the anesthesiologist before my surgery too, and had to bring a list of vitamins/meds I take. I saw my OS 30 min before the surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom