BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Pre Op

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by maggie23, Mar 16, 2017.

1. maggie23

maggie23

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All

I have been reading everyones stories,struggles and successes. (great forum)

I am a newb to BoneSmart and this will be my first op. L hip, definitely not new to the pain. I have RA and now discovered that both hips have gone.

Maggie23

Tags:
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@maggie23 Welcome to BoneSmart! Another fellow member from the UK! Do you have surgery scheduled yet?

You have indeed come to the right place for information and support through this journey. Have a read in our Library and on the recovery threads. Lots of helpful information for preparation and post op recovery.

Give a shout if you have any questions or concerns.

3. maggie23

maggie23

I don't have a fixed date but I am due April or May. The consultant is waiting for some information from my RA consultant. I have a monthly infusion for my RA(tocilizumab) I need to stop the treatment before I have the op.

I think I am more worried about the weight I have put on rather than the op, I only have a few weeks to strengthen my hips. I find it so hard to exercise or go for a walk. When I get home from work I just want to climb into my bed and I do. I see a physio for my hips and chiropractor for my back.
    Can any one tell me where I can find the energy and what are the best effective exercise I can do. (no motivation)
    I sit all day at work and try to walk around but I am so stiff and in pain.

4. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@maggie23 Pre-op pain is not manageable. You really do not need to do anything to "strengthen" your hips. They are worn out and need to be replaced. I would recommend doing as little as possible to avoid aggravating them and causing more pain. Frankly - I don't think physio at this stage will benefit you at all.
    In my experience the weight just dropped once I was mobile again. Please don't worry about it now. Rest those sore hips. There will be plenty of time to strengthen post op - once you are fully healed.

5. Monika66

Monika66

United States United States
  6. Delphi

Delphi

Hi Maggie,
    Welcome to the forum and hope you find it as supportive and informative as I have. It is a really friendly bunch on here, so read back through the threads and then ask away!

Hope you get a date confirmed shortly, but in the meantime, you can find all sorts of info here to help you get your head around the surgery and to prepare yourself and your home for your recovery afterwards.

Best wishes and good luck with getting that date sorted!

7. leejaa

leejaa

I was doing PT before I was finally diagnosed with a hip problem (took a while). Every time I went to do PT both in pool and on land at the end I felt worse going out to the car and had more pain evening and the next few nights sleeping. Once it was diagnosed and decided that it was my hip - I stopped everything and waited for surgery (7m to get on my OS schedule). Like you I had to go to work, basically sitting job but I was all tired out just getting through the day and coming home. The last few months my husband even drove me and picked me up just to lessen the strain of walking in or trying to concentrate on driving. My sleep was bad so I was always tired and the pain wears you down.

Once I had my new hip, I am doing great and can move around without pain so now I am considering doing PT in a month or so just to build up strength - not really for the recovery but just to get me stronger again. I cannot wait for spring so I can go walking in the fields around me- I live in the country. Do not worry about getting stronger for surgery- get through the waiting and you will be stronger once the painful hip is gone. Best wishes, I will look for your recovery pages.

• Like Like x 2
  8. maggie23

maggie23

Thanks every one

I am still getting use to BoneSmarts system.

One question I do have is, I have problems with both hips and will be having the left hip replaced. My lower back is so bad will the pressure ease? When I lay down or get up from a chair I cannot walk or stand straight.

I am trying to stay as positive as possible and working on getting everything in order for when I get a date in the coming weeks.
    Planning ahead and reading all the stories has helped me a great deal.

One step at a time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. VThereandnow

VThereandnow

Welcome! My back felt SOO much better after replacement, and I was that same way when getting up, especially from sitting. I felt 90. My other hip was hanging in though, till now, and I have that same phenomenon with getting up. I am PLANNING on it going away after surgery :)

10. maggie23

maggie23

Thanks Cathy - Good luck for 30th March

Great News I got my date..........waiting for the letter but they have given me 16th May 2017. They did say that they do cancel and I should be prepared, but a date is a start.
    Assessment - 19th April.
    Joint School - 26th April.
    Left THR - 16th May

I had my last physio today, until I have my assessment I just need to keep up with the exercise.

11. leejaa

leejaa

Fantastic.It is always good to have a date to focus on and aim for as well as the other pre op steps. You have a destination and a time for your trip to pain free land and recovery.

12. Tribaby

Tribaby

Ireland Ireland
    I COMPLETELY agree with@Jaycey!! I had my first THR left 4years ago and trained intensely for it... disaster!! I did so much damage to all the ligaments/tendons that were scraping away against the rough bone!! Took ages to recover. Fear not! You will walk with grace and ease after the op. Lose weight then. Small clean meals before the op; chicken & vegetables, eggs. Loads of water. I also have RA and I'd suggest a google on Anti inflammatory diets. Try to get the inflammation levels in your body naturally as low as possible pre-op. Obviously your hip area will be Inflamation Central but work on the rest and you'll be Amazing!!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. maggie23

maggie23

Thanks everyone !

Tribaby ...Walk with grace, I love that :)

Will I be able to cope with not having my monthly infusions until I heal?
    I will look into managing my diet with anti inflammatory food.
    When you have bone on bone rubbing does it feel like electric shocks ? When you are in pain all over your body you are never shaw what is what.
    Going to take it easy until I can do better.

Thanks for all your comments

___

14. VThereandnow

VThereandnow

Oh yes, there are times I take a step and just shout out and it does feel like an electric shock/sharp pain. If I move certain ways it can stop me in my tracks. It is very difficult, I just want to validate that for you, especially when there are multiple issues going on. I have nerve damage from my first replacement/and revision, my shoulder has some issues I won't go into and my knee is killing me from all the weight I have gained and the crazy walking as this other hip got to bone on bone. I could drive myself crazy trying to figure out which pain comes from what these days. ...and then I have to pull back and remember all I have is this moment. What can I do right now to take care of myself. I am lucky in that my surgery is Thursday but you have to wait a bit longer. I suggest you try to be good and gentle with yourself. Now is the time to just take care of yourself and do things that will not cause additional pain. You have enough of it to deal with. Take care -Cathy

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. maggie23

maggie23

Counting down the weeks.
    I have bad days but I am trying to keep my spirits up to go into this op, I read that you can suffer with depression after the op.
    Time to start working on my "To do list" I have a 13 year old who will need organising but he will be my rock.
    I will be spending a few days with my sister after the op, can anyone tell me if a week will be enough time until I can return home on my own?

16. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@maggie23 you will be able to get around on your own when you leave hospital. They will teach you everything you need to know about stairs (up and down), getting out of bed, etc before you are discharged.
    Lots of members have the blues post op. It is very temporary and you may not even experience this. Here's a thread from our Library about it Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.

17. maggie23

maggie23

Hi Jaycey
    I like my own surroundings when I am not well, and I think I might recover a lot faster. I will keep my options open, and definitely read the "post op blues section".
    Because I experience really bad days with the pain and fatigue I would like to be prepared if that is even possible.

18. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I think you will find you feel much better post op. All that nagging bone on bone pain is gone. Sure, you will be a bit tired - it's major surgery. But the feeling of relief that it's all done is really a motivator.

19. Delphi

Delphi

Hi Maggie,
    Think it depends on how you are, and how long you stay in hospital. It seems to vary tremendously from person to person. I came home on Day 5 but still had the log leg and ensuing difficulties getting in and out of bed for a further 4 or 5 days. If your son can help with that and getting snacks and drinks for taking meds, it would probably be possible, if a little difficult . You would need to be very organised with pre- prepared food / frozen meals to make life easier for you both. The first two wks most people seem to find quite grim, but after that you do make significant progress almost daily, and definitely feel a lot better. At 3 wks I started to feel as though I was on the path back towards normality, mentally and physically, although I was still taking full meds for the pain, but it was much easier by then. Agree that you will probably feel more comfortable in your own home in recovery, but if you could get your sister or a friend to visit to help with showers and changing the dreaded TED stockings, that would be a major plus.
    Good luck tomorrow. The time will fly by now and the op will be over before you know it.
    Take care,
    Diane

20. maggie23

maggie23

Thank you Diane
    I will take it day by day and return home when I feel I can cope.

I am extremely tired and having a more trouble sleeping at night, I am use to the pain keeping me up and I do not think it is that. Maybe I am worrying about the procedure and not realising it.

I did a little retail therapy to try and make myself feel a little better and will ask for a few days off work to try and relax a little.

Just trying everything :)
    I guess the nerves are kicking in :(