Pre-Op worries

ThumperJB

Country
United States United States
I had a LTKR in March 2018, the knee had previously suffered a Tibial Plateau Fracture so the recovery was rather hard. I am just past the 6 month mark and although still experience some pain and stiffness things are going well.
Now I am scheduled for RTKR on 3 Oct 2018. My right leg is weaker than my left due to a previous back injury that resulted in foot drop. I am concerned that this may make recovery harder since I can't do ankle pumps. Having a lot of back pain which may be from the limp of knee pain this is also worrisome. I turn 65 in a few days and feel like I'm falling apart. I just want to get patched up so I can be active again.

Hi Thumper!
I know about the “falling apart” LOL
I’ll be 65 next month and have been very active up til Jan 2017. Meniscus repair and the arthritis got worse. Stuck it out with cortisone, gel. Now TKR October 11. I’m still pretty active but in pain.
And also the back pain from limping. And bursitis in hips. PT is helping that.
Think of how great you’ll feel when you get your issues resolved! Or “patched up”.

Well, the ankle pumps are to encourage circulation and not really for PT so I don't think not being able to do them will inhibit your recovery. They'll probably have you do something else for your circulation post-op.

I am concerned that this may make recovery harder since I can't do ankle pumps.
Quite right, @kneeper! Thumper, you'll be out of bed and getting around, maybe even sent home the same day or the same after so I wouldn't worry about ankle pumps. Most hospitals use pneumatic leggings to ramp up the lower leg circulation for the first 24hrs. But after that you'll be mobile so won't need the ankle pumps anyway.

This was what I had in recovery - just a wrap for the foot on the operative side and a full lower leg wrap for the other side. It actually felt really comfortable!

Pre-Op worries

Lol! I sure understand the “falling apart” part! I will be 66 in December. Stairs are awful for me as I can’t count on either of my knees to not just buckle and my son, his wife and 2 adorable grand babies live in a 3 story house! Why they put the kids bedrooms and changing table on the third floor is still a mystery to me!:rotfl: Whenever I babysit (twice a week), I have to come home and ice like crazy. I am also noticing really tight calves, thighs and gluteus by the end of the day. Getting a massage twice a month helps a bit.:egypdance:

Propublica surgeon scorecard has Medicaire info on surgeons.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017