Lounge Doctor

TKR Pre op visit

ckub

senior
Saw my surgeon today. Went over the surgery for the 10th. They are cancelling a lot due to Covid but he said I will be a go. I’m choosing a spinal does anyone have any input on this. I will also be coming home the same day due to Covid.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’m choosing a spinal does anyone have any input on this.
In my experience a spinal and sedation is the way to go! No groggy feeling or nausea post op. A definite plus if you are going home the day of the op!

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
It's what I did, and insisted on being asleep throughout. Instantaneous time travel from pre-op to recovery :) :-) (: :thumb:

gia2cats

Country
United States United States
I had a spinal for my first and general for my second TKR. I initially wanted a spinal for my second but anesthesia pointed out to me that since my surgery was later in the morning, the spinal might not wear off in time for me to be discharged that afternoon. So I agreed to the general.
I will say the general anesthesia has come a long way over the years. I was not any more groggy after the general than I was with the spinal. I was also concerned about nausea after the general. Anesthesia took care of that by giving me a med before surgery to combat any nausea. I felt great and was able to be in the car on the way in 5 hours.
Both general and spinal were good experiences.

Jockette

Country
United States United States
@gia2cats I’m glad to read that you had general and went home the same day, I wondered if they required a spinal for same day surgery.

I also had a good experience with general, and like you, having felt nauseous in the past, they gave me medication before surgery to help with that.

My personal preference is general, I have low back issues and I really don’t want any needles inserted anywhere in my spine.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tlew67
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom