BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Pre op tomorrow

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by zorys0225, Apr 4, 2018.

1. zorys0225

zorys0225 junior member

United States United States
    it’s getting closer. I’m sure I’ll be nervous the closer it gets, but for now I’m a little excited. Tired of being in pain all the time.

I’ve been lurking around here for a while now, just wanted to thank you guys for all the information and giving me a little heads up on what to expect :roseshwr:

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @zorys0225 Well welcome officially to BoneSmart! When is your surgery date and what hip are you having done? I'll pop the information into your signature for you.

Good luck tomorrow! Take your list of questions with you and write down the answers while you are there.

3. zorys0225

zorys0225 junior member

@Jaycey Right hip on April 24th

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eman85

Eman85 senior

Ask plenty of questions and be sure to take some notes. My pre-op class included pre registration so everything was ready when I arrived including the wristband. be sure all info is correct, they had my birthdate wrong so it had to be corrected as that's a major identifier. I was swabbed at the pre op class to ck for Staph and MRSA so they could have the results and treat for it. We received our anti-bacterial wash too.

5. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

You won’t regret having the surgery. I’m nearly a year out and I still find myself amazed when I park the car in the parking lot and make the long trek to the store as it doesn’t hurt to walk any more! Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions and we will do our best to help find you answers. I found the forum a tremendous help both for information and for support. It made the journey s lot easier! Sending well wishes your way! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:welome:
    I'm sure you are anxious but I too was tied of living with chronic pain and all the restrictions my hips were creating in my life.
    Hip replacement has improved my life ten-fold.
    Onward:yahoo:

• Like Like x 2
  8. zorys0225

zorys0225 junior member

All my blood work came out fine, so surgery is definitely happening. They gave me the wash and I got some ointment to put in my nose starting a week before surgery. Now all I’m focusing on is getting my house ready and all this FMLA paperwork for my job. I’m thinking my job requirements for leave have been the hardest part so far.
    Thank you everyone! I’ll be seeing you on the other side soon :wave:

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Well done @zorys0225 ! Hope your wait time goes quickly. Aggrrrr - hate the paperwork!

10. Eman85

Eman85 senior

All the paperwork for FMLA and my short term disability were more of a pain than anything connected to my surgery. Sounds like your group is on the same program of what I had. My pre-op exam included a chest x-ray and EKG along with the blood and urine plus the exam. Did they give you a handbook? Get everything in advance and try it, sounds funny but it's easier to practice with it now. Cut your toenails as you won't be touching them for a while!

• Like Like x 1
  11. zorys0225

zorys0225 junior member

@Eman85 yes I got a lot of handbooks, along with a pre surgery diet plan. I’m going to start soon. Think I already basically have everything I need. I just need to do a good cleaning and some reorganization of things. And I’ve already started practice with a few things, along with some pre op exercises.
    I work for an automotive plant that employs thousands so I understand all the paperwork to a certain degree, but all the stuff I have to keep up with just sounds like something I don’t want to deal with before/after surgery. I’m just going to do what I can, at some point it’s out of my hands.
    I’m planning on a mini girls day the weekend before my surgery. Haircut and a mini pedicure. I can’t reach my foot on my right side so I’ll pay someone to do it lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Eman85

Eman85 senior

With me I had to deal with my Leave of Absence dept which is in another state. They aren't much on returning phone calls but responded to emails. OS office has a dept to fill out all necessary forms and fax them in to LOA dept and my disability insurance company. They charged a fee but it was well worth it to expedite everything so I didn't have any worries post surgery.
    I hope you have a chair that will be comfortable. Practice getting in and out like you have the op already, it's different. I did all of the PT exercises ahead of time, it seemed to really help especially strengthening the non op leg as it will be used a lot post op. Did you get a raised height toilet? That was one of my greatest triumphs getting rid of it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mojo333

Hope you are not too anxious and hopefully excited about getting rid of that horrible hip pain.
    Will be thinking of you next week!
    :)

14. fpondg

fpondg new member

Good luck. Prayers

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Shadow09

Shadow09 member

@zorys0225 I am having surgery on 4/23! I can't wait. I had my right hip replaced in 2013 and I love it. I waited too long with this one due to a job change, but everyone at work has just been awesome about it. We can compare notes post op!

16. zorys0225

zorys0225 junior member

@Mojo333 I am starting to get a little nervous, but I’m doing pretty good at realizing that this will help me feel better in the long run. All the pain makes me tired all the time. If it wasn’t for work, I would be a recluse. I’m still working right now. Friday is my last day, so that keeps me distracted from the nerves. And when I get home I try to keep busy getting the place ready

@fpondg thank you very much!

@Shadow09 yes, let’s do compare notes. It’s nice to know I’m not alone

17. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @zorys0225 .....I worried and researched myself to a frazzle.....when I had the op (nearly 4 weeks ago) it was almost an anti-climax! I think most people will say the same, so you're definitely not alone, and it helps to put your worries on the forum, no matter how silly you think they are. Over-thinking it is an occupational hazard :heehee:

18. zorys0225

zorys0225 junior member

@anny I’m actually more nervous about what comes after than I am about the surgery. If that makes any sense :chinstroke:

19. Mojo333

That's the best way to keep sane. Faith in my surgeon and the procedure made my worries about the surgery itself minimal.
    Good news for me, was after first few days..I realized they DID get rid of that horrible hip pain, and the rest was temporary recovery stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BusterBeans

BusterBeans senior

There are several wonderful surgical meditations out there if you’re interested. I have one that I’ve listened to through my bilateral TKR, my LTHR, my Left shoulder arthroscopic and will be listening to next month for my RTHR. They really help me chill and embrace the skill and talents of the medical team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1