BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

pre-op test: aspiration of both knees

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Josephine, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ooh, I hope you don't have to wait that long. I was the other way, thought it would be 6 months and it was only 2! Fingers crossed that will be the same for you.

2. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

United States United States
    Oh, Jo, I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry to see you having to go through this all over again. However, I am really glad your aspiration was pain-free. When I had mine it was one of the most excruciatingly painful things ever; so much so that when my OS wanted to repeat it at a later date, I refused. I, too, was fine after the procedure, but during it my poor daughter had her hand gripped and squeezed so hard she lost all feeling in it for a time afterwards.....:snork:

I don't remember if you've had any revisions in the past, but I do know that mine has worked well to date (except for the pain from the tip of the posts, which I was told most people don't experience) and I have a shiny new gold knee that isn't loose. My OS did tell me recently that they do see more of this tip pain from the Aesculup gold knee than others for some reason, so that's something to think about. I really understand what you're going through, as do most here, and am wishing you a speedy date, an easy surgery and a smooth and easy recovery.

3. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

After my knee was aspirated (there was 60 cc in there!), I decided to tentatively conclude I had infection, that way I wouldn't be disappointed if it was infected. Luckily I only had to wait 5 days to hear back that it was fine, and I heard nothing after the 14 day culture.

Fingers crossed you don't encounter much delay.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had a very encouraging letter from my lovely Shaun today. It said

"I am glad to be able to tell you that your aspirate is entirely normal with no evidence of infection. Your CRP is also normal at 2.1. I am therefore happy to say that the suspected loosening of the tibial plate is an aseptic loosening and I can put you on the waiting list for revision of this left knee. If at this time we can get away with just revising the tibial plate then we will but our plan should be to carry out a full revision if deemed necessary."

Nice to get letters from your surgeon, eh?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hoorah!

• Agree Agree x 1