pre-op preparations

Status
Not open for further replies.

creblue

Country
United States United States
Besides the obvious getting off all meds, what else is important to do or not do in the days before surgery?

I would say just get things done that you might not be able to do for awhile - shave those legs, prepare some meals to freeze, clean house, you know all that fun stuff!!:)

Make sure you set up a place to come home to....bed, couch, recliner so minimum of steps to bathroom, small table by where you will sleep to keep water and meds on, get ice gel packs or a machine for all that icing you have to do, comfy clothes to wear. Get stool softeners for sure.

All the things the others have said. I especially was thankful that I had prepared food ahead of time and froze it. It eased the burden on hubby who had his hands full being my night nurse for the first few nights. A gel ice pack would be a good investment. I ended up using the ice bag the hospital provided, refilling from our ice tray as needed, but I think the gel packs are more effective. My PT uses one and it really works fast!
Gail

)Ou may want to book yourself in for a haircut! My rehab actually had a beauty parlor! The patients lined up every afternoon in their wheelchairs....it gave everyone a lift! :)

I would say just get things done that you might not be able to do for awhile - shave those legs, prepare some meals to freeze, clean house, you know all that fun stuff!!:)

but not withing 5 days of surgery. Some places get a bit bent out of shape if you do it too close to the day in case of micro scratches that might carry bugs. Besides which, they will shave your leg in the OR when you're asleep with a proper safety machine.

I don't know that they shave the legs for hip surgery here, Jo. They didn't mine. They just told me not to shave the day of surgery.

Some do, some don't. But either way, shaving should either be done 3/5 days before or immediately before surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018