BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Pre op prep

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by beachy, Sep 13, 2018.

1. beachy

beachy graduate

United States United States
    I've been busy getting the items together for recovery.

Shrek, the ginormous power recliner, arrived today. I’m in love! Where has he been all my life? Now hubs will be able to sleep undisturbed.

Walker basket.

Grabber. I’m using it now to reach things in higher cabinets. It came with a long handled sponge and shoehorn.

Toilet seat riser. With arm push up bars. Woohoo!

Lounge doc

Bed tray that tilts for laptop use. Will be great for me and Shrek.

Ice packs. Still waiting to see if hospital provides ice machine or if Medicare does.

Pre op class and physical scheduled.
    Dental check up done.
    In PT now for hip bursitis and low back issues.
    Not sure if I’ll need a shower bench.
    Just have to prep some meals to freeze. I have to be low FODMAP so it’s tricky.

Can anyone add to the list? I’ll be using all the “stuff” again in the future for RTKR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
  3. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

Ummmm….pads. Sometimes it's difficult to get to the bathroom on a "timely" basis especially while on medication in the middle of the night.

4. beachy

beachy graduate

@Josephine
    Are you saying what I have in place is not even half of what I need? The link you sent has been a mainstay since joining BS. The house is prepped. Hubs will be home as long as needed. What else is there?

@Laurenkate
    Oh Geez! Now that’s one I would never have thought of. Thanks.

5. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:rofsign: I still have the pads I bought “just in case.” But yes, certainly was prepared for that! I bought it all!

It’s easy to get the idea that we’ll “need” a lot of stuff for our TKR recovery, but the fact is we need very little by way of material things: A good (easy to get into and out of) resting place for those early days; a higher toilet, rails, or riser to make our lives much much easier; something (anything) we can use to raise or lower our leg(s) should there be no one around to help. A walker or cane, whichever works best. I needed my walker. NEEDED it.

Having stuff geared especially toward our TKR recovery can make our experience of parts of it a little easier, but the knee will recover with or without it. :yes: Just Rest, Ice, and Elevate. Repeat for as long as needed. And walk around because that’s why you had this surgery.

6. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

@SusieShoes - I'm jealous you didn't need them....perhaps this is tmi but "the dribbles" seem to be a big part of this recovery in the middle of the night. The big problem - but good news - is I seem to be sleeping much more soundly once I get pillows positioned and comfortable. Then I wait a bit too long because i'm either half asleep and/or too comfortable and don't want to move.

Also right about the things you really need for recovery. The three things I loved having were the higher toilet (and rails by it's side), ice, & several pillows (different firmness) (ok...a lot of pillows because I didn't have the lounge doctor with the first tkr). Anything else which makes you feel cozy and comfy is nice to have too.

7. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Laurenkate, I was quite alarmed by thought of the dribbles. I have been embarrassed post-surgery by an unruly bladder, and I had read on here that some people (mostly women) have bladder issues post-TKR, so I was well-prepared. No one was more surprised than I when I didn’t need the pads. Good surprises do happen! :snork:

Anything that makes us feel better and more comfy is definitely worth the price... if we have the means, why not? If money is tight, though, there’s no need to spend very much. Just spend wisely. And always find out what insurance will cover, because often it will cover things like ice machines.

8. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

Just thought of a couple of things which will come in handy for all of you who are having October surgeries - either an invitation to someone else's home or reservations at a restaurant for Thanksgiving. :yahoo: You may think you're going to feel like dealing with 3 days of cooking, cleaning, blah, blah, blah but your knee will make you pay afterwards. And you really aren't going to feel like it.....

The other thing we did which was different and helpful. We don't eat much meat normally and have only been to Outback a couple of times in the past 10 years. Neither of us wanted much to eat because I lost my appetite and it was really too hot to eat much more than a tomato sandwich. However, for some reason, I craved Outback's salad and my husband needed some protein so we ordered for "pick-up" at Outback - and it was surprisingly easy and good. We live about 15 minutes from the restaurant and don't have a microwave so I was worried about it staying hot - but it did. Other than the ice machine, that was our big splurge and it was a good thing for my husband because he likes to eat - but not cook or do anything else with food.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. beachy

beachy graduate

Hubs and son already said they’re ordering the Cracker Barrell thanksgiving dinner that a friend suggested. Turkey and trimmings. No shopping no cooking. Bada bing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

Just an added note, I cooked my small thanksgiving dinner after my knee surgery. I was about 5 1/2 weeks. Shopped the weeks before Thanksgiving, used one of those motorized carts.

11. Josephine

Nooo! It's a British (Cockney) expression! Roughly interpreted it means 'very much'! Sorry I confused you.

12. beachy

beachy graduate

@Josephine
    Oh ok LOL! I do love the British expressions. That one I’ve not heard until now. Thanks for clearing that up!

@Mutti3
    I cooked thanksgiving dinner last year and my knees were the size of grapefruits by the time we ate. That’s when I learned the beauty of Cracker Barrel for this year.

13. Josephine

Actually, if I had done it properly, I should have written "not'arf!"

14. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

You're a better woman than me! I have a friend who worked in Kentucky for a time and always said Kentucky women were "made of the right stuff". :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. beachy

beachy graduate

@Josephine
    If you had written it properly I would have been beyond confused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Josephine

17. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    I have some good friends from England here, a couple from the North, even. I am always asking them to translate. I can be so clueless.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

My leg, ankle and foot swelled up like a blowfish after my first tkr so it was a wonderful surprise that didn't happen after my second one. That is until I woke up this morning and everything is swollen. :tantrum: (And of course, I was going to buy some new shoes today). Anyway, it made me think of something else which is very nice to have if you swell like this....slippers or ugg like slippers/boots which will expand if your foot does and it needs to be something you can wear outside if necessary. My feet have enough problems without the swelling but those have been the most comfortable things to wear and the rubber soles are great too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. beachy

beachy graduate

20. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

@beachy - I know, right? I was so looking forward to wearing something other than clown pants this fall. Tried on a pair of loose leggings the other day and it looked like there were various sizes of water balloons stuffed into the right leg. *sigh* Trying to decide if I should go full on eccentric so people won't necessarily notice the quishy lumps and bumps. And if Kim Kartrashian and that group can wear fuzzy slippers out and about, I can wear my uggs all the time too, right?