BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Pre-Op over and now waiting for surgery!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jesus fan, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

United States United States
    12 days until surgery! I'm still very nervous but the RN at the hospital told me that once I get to the hospital the morning of surgery that they would start giving me something to calm me while i'm in the "holding area". For anyone that has had a hip replacement, when u woke up from surgery, was you in the worst pain that you've ever been in in ur life? (just wondering what to expect). I'm also wondering about the spinal block, if it numbs you from the waist down doesn't that give you a panic feeling when you wake up and can't feel your legs??? Did anyone else's bad hip cause your back to hurt? I hurt so much in my back that sometimes i'm afraid its my back and they are operating on my hip for nothing lol. I guess i'm just nervous and second guessing. I hurt in my hip, leg and groin too. I'm sorry I've rambled on!

2. dlp

dlp member

Nope - when I first woke up I felt pretty much nothing. The spinal block was still in effect, so I couldn't even feel my toes :) Pain wasn't really a concern until later in the day - and it wasn't anything major that oxycodone didn't take care of :)

For about a second or 2, it's like "Hey! I can't feel my..... Oh, yeah, I just got out of surgery. Freaky." I'm not a panicky person, so it was more of a "what?" than an "OMG!!" kinda feeling - if that makes any sense. The nice part is that if you have a spinal with sedation, you generally don't feel all groggy or weird as you come around. Had a fairly clear head, even said Hi to the surgeon as he was looking over X-rays. Then took a nice nap as I waited for my room to be available.

Yes - I've had lower back issues for quite a while. Before my first THR, it would take me 20 seconds or more to stand upright from a seated position. PT helped, but getting the THR helped more. I've just had my second THR, so looking forward to where things can go from here!

Good luck with your surgery. We're here when you need us!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

@dlp Thank you so much for your reply, you've helped me so much and also helped to calm me! I hope you are doing well with your second THR!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wish we could have absolutes...when it comes to reassurances...but after trying for two years to get a diagnosis for back pain...and finding out I had severe OA in both hips, I to was hopeful this surgery would be "the fix"
    I had some gait training and posture work to do and some uncomfortable back sleeping too endure during recovery...
    But happy to say I deem myself at 95 percent at 14 months out!
    Hips won't get better on their own.
    I'm rooting for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Spinal block was a strange feeling, moreso pre-op when it all goes to sleep before you do. Post op you are very aware and it is a slow awakening of your body. You don't feel much pain immediately post surgery, TAKE THE PAIN MEDS!!! before you go walking the hall for the first time. I didn't have much if any deep pain post op, just incision pain and I was on an icing machine. After making a few laps in the hall it was pain time and obvious I should have taken the meds before the walk.
    My back hurt before surgery and it appreciated the down time during recovery. I can say that like many of my other pains my back pain is back once I started doing anything physical.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. InkedMarie

InkedMarie member

I had two hip replacements, one in 2014, other 4 weeks ago. Both anterior approach. I don’t remember waking up in PACU with the first one; no pain then or ever. With the second, I woke up in PACU in so much pain but that literally lasted a couple minutes.

I honestly don’t even know if I had a spinal block for either.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Try not to worry. You'll soon join us in saying that the anticipation of the whole thing (surgery) is much worse than it actually is in reality. You'll have a supportive care team encouraging you through the day of surgery. Trust them, express your fears, don't hold them in, they're good at easing your mind, they do this daily. It's a huge day for you but just another day at the office for them, doing what they were trained to do and what they do best. Believe that.

We each have our own experience to share and mine was uneventful. Pleasantly boring and not very painful.
    I was up walking, in my own clothes, within hours. I had to dress before going to my room. I knew this ahead of time. When I say dressed in my own clothes it amounted to loose stretchy cotton yoga pants and a t-shirt. Since I was to only be there for 23 hrs post op. That's what I wore. Comfy enough to sit in for half the day and sleep in overnight.

Don't let the spinal give you a panicky feeling. Again, express your fears, they'll calm your mind and you have to trust and believe. It's an odd sensation. You feel it move down your legs quite rapidly. It felt like a minute or less to me but as soon as it was administered they asked me to tell them when I felt numb and it seemed instantaneously in hindsight. They gently laid me down, a mask came down over my face and my last thought was "Just go with it" Lights Out! I awoke in Recovery in total disbelief it was all over. It's crazy! I felt zero pain, don't recall my legs being numb but wet the bed and couldn't feel that I did that either. :heehee:

My back hurt often pre-surgery but rarely thereafter unless I move in a weird way, pulling something.
    Your OS is not going to operate if you're not in need. You have to do a whole lot of trusting during this process and once again, express your fears as they crop up and let them ease your mind.
    I'll bet you do great! Enjoy the weekend....do something to distract yourself, you can only put so much thought into all of this and any negativity you're feeling is just a waste of time.

Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await the 14th.
    @Jesus fan

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

@Layla Thank you for your reply. It's odd that you mentioned wetting the bed... actually, I have severe IBS-D and i'm afraid I will do worse while i'm out or numb lol. Yes, I think of EVERY THING lol. When they first stick the needle in for the spinal block does it feel like a normal shot or is it real painful? I'm not afraid of needles but the videos ive watched online of it looks much worse that just a shot. When you had ur surgery did they send you home with every thing you needed such as a raised toilet seat? Again, thank you for your reply.

9. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Best way I can describe the spinal is it was just like a bee sting and then it was over. just had to lean forward on the edge of the bed so he got a clean shot at it.
    At my pre-op class they took orders for "hip kits" if you ordered it they brought it to you in the hospital along with a walker if you ordered one. I didn't order a kit, I found everything local ahead of time. The most important thing I did get was a Breg Polar Pack icing machine. I don't see how you can ice enough with ice or ice packs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Layla

Eman's description of a bee sting seems rather fitting. All I can say is that it's a non event.
    I was a little groggy because they gave me something before I entered the E.R. where the spinal was administered. I don't remember it really hurting and recall thinking it wasn't a big deal. Honestly, it all happens so quickly that you forget. I'm sure you'll be a little drugged so you won't stress like you're thinking you will. I don't recall anyone on the forum (since I've been here elaborating on the spinal) if it was a horrid experience you'd read stories here, there are none that come to mind. Express your anxiety in regard to the spinal and let them work with you. Everyone will work toward making you comfortable. So speak up, share your concerns and let them walk you through it.

Talk to your OS, or the nurse who leads your Joint Camp, or whatever type of pre-op educational session you attend, they'll be able to alleviate your fears in regard to any questions you have. They've dealt with it all. I found the nurse I met with to be very comforting. She made everything seem easy peasy, no big deal and I trusted her. She kept it lighthearted and I felt less stressed about the whole process after our meeting.

The surgery center I went through was like a drive though. I was released 23 hrs post op. I know some have been home within 8 hrs. of surgery. I spent the night and was discharged in the morning. They didn't provide me with any recovery items. I had to purchase what I wanted / needed on my own. Both my mom and dad had hips replaced so I borrowed from them. I did not use a toilet riser because luckily my toilet seats are higher than average and I didn't find it to be an issue not having a riser.

Surgery will soon be behind you and you won't regret your decision. You're going to do great!
    @Jesus fan

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Alitm

Alitm member

Canada Canada
    @Jesus fan, I am a month after you surgery wise! I've just have the pre-op with my GP (height, weight, blood work and ECG) and then have a joint class on the 16th....and then OR and anaesthesia pre-ops. I am using my yoga breathing to help with the building anxiety, and also am re-reading everyone's threads and asking a million questions on this site! It all helps. Everyone here is so supportive, as they have been through it all, they are great emotional leaning posts :)
    I also have a lot of back pain, and worry that after the bilateral surgery it won't improve the back, despite being told by the OS and physio that it will! I have read over and over that the waiting is the hardest part. When we come around from surgery, we will be able to manage that surgical pain, and the nasty OA hip pain will be a thing of the past. We will be busy icing and resting to start with and then structured walking and gentle PT, and it will all be positive, forward healing work, not just trying to get through the day with pain. Hang in there and try to keep your mind busy with productive, positive thoughts. Do you have a joint class to go to before surgery? I expect that also will answer a lot of questions with regard to what you will need to get for post op. I am assuming from your name on this forum that you are a spiritual person. The power of prayer and "handing it over" is very helpful for me:angel:. Thinking of you on your journey and look forward to seeing you post op and in recovery! :) Thank you for being so open about your anxiety...it really does help others who are also waiting :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was more afraid of the spinal than my first THR. It is indeed a non-event. They spray your back with a solution that makes it very cold. You will probably feel very little if not nothing. Then you are out for the count.
    Definitely not! The worst pain was pre-op, bone on bone pain and in the case of my left hip, the joint had collapsed. The good news is any post op discomfort can be controlled with medication and icing.
    My bad hip was actually diagnosed as back issues for years. It's very common to have back pain when your hip is failing. You are walking all wrong trying to stay off a sore hip.

This surgery is going to be life changing. That first step is amazing!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

@Jaycey I'm looking so forward to the "life changing" part. I've suffered for so many years , your post gives me hope, thank you.

14. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

@Alitm I'm glad I could be of some help to you. Yes, i'm very nervous about the surgery. I did take a joint class but it was on the day of my pre-op and I was not told ahead of time that I would be taking the class so I did not have any questions prepared to ask them. But, I gather from what I was told that some insurances pay for certain supplies and some do not so I won't know for sure until the time comes. You are correct that it is best to turn it over to the Lord and I try to do that a lot but I let my worries get the best of me at times (which I should not do). I only have one more week then this will be over with! I hope that your surgery goes well also. It's bad that we all have to go through this (I see that u are young to be going through this too) but its good that we have each other on this forum to talk to. God bless and see you on the recovery side soon!

15. Alitm

Alitm member

Canada Canada
    Hello again @Jesus fan,

Wishing you peace of mind as you continue to wait. I can sympathize as to what a roller coaster ride the waiting can be. Believe you me, I'm on the front seat of the ride! It is unfortunate that you didn't have time to prepare questions. Do you have access to the OR department to ask questions? Maybe your surgeon's office can help? Keep posting here too for answers. My experience from other surgeries, in different hospitals, is that the OR staff are kind and very much aware of how nervous patients can be going into surgery. Do tell them how you are feeling and they will do their very best to put you at ease, and will also give you medication for the anxiety. The spinal does feel like a bee sting at most. I've had three epidurals in the past, and honestly, I don't remember much at all, and in particular, I don't recall that they were painful. I would describe them as a tightness perhaps. Everyone is different in their perception. I'm definitely going to ask for something for anxiety if I'm feeling like my yoga breathing isn't working for me! They might take one look at me and give me the anxiety meds straight away :heehee:

Honestly, do remember to keep breathing...we are really good at holding our breath when stressed. The other thing, I know it sounds weird, but check, when anxious, as to where your tongue is situated in your mouth. I learned through yoga that many of us push our tongue up into the roof of our mouths when anxious and stressed, and that sets off a chain of physical stress reactions, starting with a clenched jaw..without even realizing it. If you unstick your tongue from the roof of your mouth, and check that you are breathing regularly, that alone can really help your body and mind to relax.

I believe that we need to be as knowledgeable and prepared as we can going into this surgery (thus my reading and question asking on this site!), and with that comes peace of mind. After that we just need to let go and trust the decision we have made to improve the quality of our lives. That is why we are all here :)

Keep posting until you head out the door to the hospital. There are so many here who have been though the surgery and will help you through the next week. I'll be around here somewhere too I'm sure, reading someone's thread!! I find it a very comfortable place to be, as everyone "gets it".

We are exactly a month apart so I won't forget the date! I'll be watching for your recovery thread. Maybe set that up before you go to the hospital! We'll all want to know how you are doing and making out on the recovery side :)

God bless and wishing you peace of mind this week.
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Jesus fan

Jesus fan junior member

@Alitm Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I will post here just as soon as I can after my surgery, that way you will know a little of what to expect when your time comes around next month. It seems like the time is approaching fast, I remember when I had over 6 weeks to wait and now it's down to 5 days!
    This site is very helpful at calming my anxiety and honestly I would like to post more questions but i'm afraid folks will get sick of me lol.
    Thank you for your well wishes and God bless you. Wishing you peace of mind also!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No way! Please post all your questions. It will not only help you but other members might be wondering about the same issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Layla

Ask away, that's what we're here for. Support and encouragement.
    I challenge you to come up with a question we haven't heard, lol.
    Hope you're feeling more at peace about it all. You're going to love the result.
    Enjoy the day!
    @Jesus fan

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Alitm

Alitm member

Canada Canada
    Hello @Jesus fan,

We learn from each other's questions:) Ask away...I am!! LOL!! It feels safe to do so here. I have a need to know as much as possible...makes me feel more prepared!

Thanks for being willing to post on your experience on the healing side. It will be helpful for sure. I've learned so much from reading recovery threads.
    The time is whizzing by. You must be close to feeling that things are coming together for your surgery.
    Have a relaxing weekend
    :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You are going to do just great.
    Some will be a figure out as you go...but lots of great advice and comfort here.
    Hope you're weekend is sweet!:flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1