Pre-op fears, as seen from the other side

River

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am both pre-op and post-op because I am about to have my second knee replacement (on 6th September), having had the first done on the 21st of April. But I am posting this here hoping it might help people going through some of the same stuff emotionally that I did.

I was a complete wreck before the first operation. This time I've hit some of the same fears, and some of the same emotional roller-coaster, but much less intensely. I've been thinking back on what some of those fears were and whether they ended up being confirmed or not the first time around. Mostly not at all.

One of my biggest fears was of waking up during the operation. Especially as I'd read accounts, on here and elsewhere, of people waking up briefly in the operation theatre (though not experiencing any pain) and remembering it afterwards. This was an absolutely horrific prospect to me.

I talked about it with the anaesthetist during my pre-op. and together we decided on the option I went ahead with: spinal plus GA. This worked fine and I was out like a light for the duration. (And I woke up afterwards, as you can see-- not waking up at all was another fear).

Another fear was, of course, of post-op. pain. In the end I was surprised how little there was. (On the down side, I was utterly whacked out, much more so than expected,and for much longer. In retrospect this seems to be because I lost a lot of blood during the op., as well as the more general effects of the surgery and anaesthetic).

The only pain in that knee I've had since the operation has been a sort of dull achiing feeling. Plus the bruising, which was sore and tender for a while (for a couple of weeks or so). I don't think I've had pain that was worse than before the operation, at all. I remember the surgeon asking me, about 3 days post-op, if there was less pain than before the op, and I said, not yet. But there certainly wasn't more.

Then there was a general sort of fear because my surgeon was an arrogant %*&£, if you'll excuse my French, and it's not easy to put yourself at the mercy of someone like that. I had some fairly irrational fears about what he could do to me while I was under the knife. What if he was in fact a serial killer in disguise. Turns out he wasn't, he was a very good knee surgeon and, though I haven't changed my opinion of him as a person, he seems to have done an excellent job on my knee.

Also the general loss of control in hospital was a fear and this was hard but it was made much better by the fact that all the staff explained everything so well and checked everything out with me. Consent seems to be a big thing, they have to ask you if it's OK to do the smallest thing. So for me, that helped give me the sense that I was a participant in my own care.

I also had other fears like of not being able to sleep in the time following the op, because I am someone who really needs and values my sleep. That hasn't been the case either, though I know it is for some people. Mostly I have slept through the night, and then some.

I remember before the first operation, feeling as if I was about to jump off a cliff and not being sure if my parachute would open. Now, before the second one, I still feel I have to jump off a cliff, but I have learned that the parachute is sturdily made and reliable. You can never be sure when you do crazy things like parachuting, or having a TKR, but chances are, everything will be fine.

River

Thanks, River, for posting that. I'm sure all of us who are counting down the days to surgery have all kinds of fears. Appreciate you sharing yours and the reassurance that they all turned out well. Probably my biggest fear is not being able to take care of everything myself after the surgery. It's sometimes hard for me to ask for help or rely on others. I can picture it now--me trying to do more than I should cause I don't want to ask for help. I hope I can get over that!

Thanks for your thoughtful post. Although I am trying to be positive, there are times when fear of the pain and something going wrong are overwhelming. I had a few more questions about one of my knees but the OS staff said he was booked up and insisted on taking a message, and then conveyed what he said (which did not address my questions), which does not instill faith in the man.

Great post River! Wow - you have really come a long way since knee #1. Well done! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. Although I am trying to be positive, there are times when fear of the pain and something going wrong are overwhelming. I had a few more questions about one of my knees but the OS staff said he was booked up and insisted on taking a message, and then conveyed what he said (which did not address my questions), which does not instill faith in the man.
does your doc have a PA? Maybe he or she would talk to you.

"Probably my biggest fear is not being able to take care of everything myself after the surgery. It's sometimes hard for me to ask for help or rely on others."

Yes, editor98, I can understand that, I'm the same. But I hope you can let yourself be looked after. The surgery will in the end make you much more able to be independent and do all the things you want to do. For me it's so important to try to keep the long view but also very difficult at times because the little details of recovery can take over.

Binkie, sorry you're so frightened, I really really remember that... With regard to something going wrong, people here helped by reminding me that this is a very common type of surgery and thousands and thousands of people have successful TKRs done all the time. And also that the problems you might read about in BoneSmart happen to a small minority of people. An awful lot of people who haven't had problems are out there in the world doing things other than posting on forums like this one.

I hope you can get answers to your questions, that is really important.

Jaycey, thanks for your comment, yes I suppose I have changed a bit, haven't I.

River

Very good post, you have many issues that I know a majority of health care professionals do not even consider. Thank you for this useful information, and I hope to pass it on to the pre-op process..
David

I'm so pleased that you feel this might be useful to pass on, David. All my pre-op. angsting and traumatising might have had some purpose, then!

River

River....God bless you for opening your soul this way to share your thoughts and feelings. Not only have you helped the folks who are members and have thanked you for your information, but we have literally thousands of "lurkers" who never join the forum. They just read and learn. I am certain you are helping many, many of them too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
BrainySmurf
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom